49 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:46 PM

http://story.news.ya.../passenger_shot

A bullet tore through the door of a car as it traveled down a freeway, killing a woman who was on her way to a doctor's appointment. Authorities are investigating whether the shooting was related to reports of eight other shots fired at vehicles on or near the same stretch of highway.

Franklin County Chief Sheriff's Deputy Steve Martin said authorities planned to compare bullets from the shootings, the first reported in May and the others all in the past 6 1/2 weeks just south of Columbus.

Gail Knisley, 62, was killed Tuesday morning when a bullet ripped through the driver's door on Interstate 270. Hours later, a pickup truck was hit on a highway that intersects I-270 nearby, deputies said.

And here's the local news about the shootings.

http://www.nbc4colum...230/detail.html

There's been more than one shooting, but they haven't been linked yet.

http://www.nbc4colum...596/detail.html

And like I said, I travel that part of I270 twice a day, but I go though early in the morning, and late in the afternoon, so there's been trouble while I've gone though the area.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 07:15 PM

You be carefull!

#3 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 07:19 PM

At first when I read I-270, I had a double-take because there's an I-270 in the DC area and for a second I thought that I was reading about another Beltway Sniper.  Yeesh.

Anyway, do be careful.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#4 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 07:34 PM

^^^Yeah it's probably because of the other sniper, that this is getting national press. And for me when I travel that side of the freeway, it's somewhat of a bottleneck, where there's three onramps turning into the two lanes of I-270 East. It could just be a hunter, but I don't quite think so.

One more thing to keep an eye out for, I guess. :blink:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:18 PM

Might be a good idea to try another route for a while.
Can't Touch This!!

#6 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:25 PM

I second what LoP  & Uncle Sid say...Be Careful....
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#7 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 10:15 PM

http://story.news.ya...otings&ncid=718

Something of an update, it's nice to find out today that, this has probably been going on since May. :rolleyes:

The first shooting was reported in May and others had come in the past 6 1/2 weeks in the area just south of Columbus. Tuesday's killing of Gail Knisley, 62, made a total of nine shootings.

Since the killing, Martin said Thursday, several other people have reported that their vehicles may have been hit by bullets along I-270.

Martin said the latest confirmed report involved a woman who got a flat tire Oct. 10 while driving near the interstate. She was told the tire had been shot when she got it replaced, he said. She did not file a report with police.

Martin said authorities do not have any definite physical evidence to show that all the cases are linked and said he is "not ready" to say if the shots have been fired by a sniper.

The sparsely populated area includes woods frequented by hunters and people practicing target shooting, along with industrial sites and some suburban neighborhoods.

Martin would not speculate on the type of weapon used.

:unsure:

#8 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:09 PM

Be careful,DWF! Like Kosh said, it might be a good idea to take a different route for a while.
Per aspera ad astra

#9 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 06:59 PM

^^^I am the other thing is, it's about a quarter mile away from where I live.

http://story.news.ya...ay_shootings_10

Extra patrols have been assigned to the leg of the highway, also called Jack Nicklaus Highway after the pro golfer from suburban Dublin. The route runs through a sparsely populated area that includes woods frequented by hunters and people practicing target shooting. Industrial sites line part of the stretch, along with some residential neighborhoods. A shopping mall is nearby.

The shopping mall is across the street. And in some ways, I feel like this guy does.

Cable, 53, is leery of returning to Columbus but said he will keep making the 75-mile drive from his home in Lucasville. The retired prison guard travels often to his daughter's suburban home north of Columbus to help her and her husband with their construction business and see his two grandsons.

Cable said Friday that news of the linked shootings gave him hope a perpetrator would be found.

"They don't know exactly what they're looking for, but it gives them a lot better idea and will help direct them with their investigation," he said.

Briggs said he drove past the site of his shooting the next night and isn't afraid to travel the outerbelt. "They didn't get me over there," he said, referring to the Vietnam War, "they're not going to get me here."

This was hte first day I looked around coming home, and certainly didn't like doing it. :glare:

#10 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 09:26 PM

Please be careful. I am glad you are taking an alternate route. I know this will sound odd ... but at the very least, does anyone have your phone number? If your modem goes funk and you can't get online, I don't want to sit here and think the worst when it's not that at all.   :(

Edited by kimmer, 28 November 2003 - 09:26 PM.

#11 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 10:14 PM

Well, I'm not taking an alternate route , I am alittle distrurbed that, the shooting have happening since May. And I'll be using some of that route to get to the Mid-Ohio con this weekend, so I'll be gone most of the next two days.

(((((((((((((((((((((Kimmer)))))))))))))))))))))

Neroon knows me though, and I'm sure he's keeping an eye on the news. :look:

#12 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 10:30 PM

No alternate route? :cry: I misunderstood the "^^". I will now worry. I'm glad Neroon is keeping track of you and I willl pester him if you awol.  :)  Have fun at the con, I'll look for your report Sunday night or Monday morning.

One good hug deserves another ...

((((((((((((((((((((( DWF )))))))))))))))))))))

#13 Neroon

Neroon
  • Islander
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 10:41 PM

There has been a recent report that at least two bullets from different incidents have matched.  That indicates at least some progress.  I live up here on the NE side, so I don't have occasion to travel that route much at all, but believe you me.... it has been on our midns greatly of late.  Not only for DWF but for the other members of a monthly Bible study my wife & I have been in for several years.
"Ae -esteliach nad... estelio han. Estelio ammen."

#14 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 05:52 PM

Now a school has been targetted.

http://www.nbc4colum...143/detail.html

A previously reported shooting incident that occurred Nov. 21 on U.S. Route 23 and another shooting at an Obetz elementary school have been linked to the shooting death of Gail Knisley, 62, of Washington Court House. 

Steve Martin, chief deputy at the Franklin County Sheriff's Office, said a bullet was fired into the Hamilton Township Central Elementary School at 1105 Rathmell Rd. in Obetz at 1:35 a.m. on Nov. 11. No students or employees were in the building at the time of the shooting. An alarm went off at the school when the bullet entered a window, Martin said.

NewsChannel 4's Natalie Walston reported that a .50-caliber gun was used in the shooting at the school, according to a police report.

Although ballistics tests could not link the remainder of the shootings along Interstate 270, investigators said they "are comfortable" saying all 12 are connected, he said. He would not elaborate.

The other shooting now linked to Knisley's death occurred at 7:45 p.m. Nov. 21. A bullet struck Edward Cable's vehicle while he was driving south on Route 23, south of I-270 and north of Rathmell.

Martin said the shooting at an elementary school is a "big leap" for authorities working on the case.

I wondered if this would happen. :(

#15 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:19 PM

NewsChannel 4's Natalie Walston reported that a .50-caliber gun was used in the shooting at the school, according to a police report.

A .50 cal...that is serious freaking firepower...the range and punch through power is incredible on that large a round... :eek:

DWF, Neroon... keep safe!
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#16 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:24 PM

My understanding is that a number of .50 cal rifles are used as anti vehicle weapons by various militaries.  Perhaps that's why it's being used?

#17 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:33 PM

prolog, on Dec 2 2003, 08:24 PM, said:

My understanding is that a number of .50 cal rifles are used as anti vehicle weapons by various militaries.  Perhaps that's why it's being used?
Well, some the earlier shots embedded themselves in the vehicles, so it's possible that they wanted something with a stronger kick to it. :unsure:

#18 BizzyD17

BizzyD17

Doomed From The Start

• Islander
  • 774 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:36 PM

My band has been traveling to Columbus alot same route,were recording an album.Makes me nervous,I really don't wanna go into Columbus,even been trading in concert tickets I have for shows there to Cincinnati because all this.I can't change recording sessions though,as there already paid for,and the person were working with and the studio is only available to us until the 13th so were rushing to finish things up.

#19 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 08:39 PM

Even more shootings, and maybe some copycats as well. :unsure:

http://story.news.ya...ay_shootings_75

In one of 12 linked shootings on Ohio highways, an Akron couple reported that one of several juveniles on an overpass had a gun and shot at a horse trailer they were towing, a State Highway Patrol report said.

The couple did not report the Aug. 31 trailer damage until three days after the Nov. 25 shooting that killed a woman on Interstate 270.

Franklin County sheriff's Chief Deputy Steve Martin said Thursday that investigators have not discounted the couple's report, but there is no indication that juveniles are responsible for any of the other shootings.

Ballistics tests have definitively linked four of the 12 shootings three at vehicles and one at an elementary school but investigators believe they all are connected.

The shootings took place on or near the same short stretch of I-270 south of Columbus; the woman who was killed, Gail Knisley, was the only person hit.

A bullet from the trailer did not come from the same gun as the four, but the report is included with the 12 because it came from the area police are investigating, Martin said.

And two more shootings, including into a house.

http://story.news.ya...ay_shootings_84

Two more shootings have occurred along an interstate highway since a woman was killed on the freeway last month, bringing the number of cases under investigation to 14, authorities said Friday.

A car and a house were hit in the latest shootings, Franklin County sheriff's Chief Deputy Steve Martin said.

On Sunday morning, a woman heard a thud as she drove on Interstate 270 and noticed a bullet hole when she got home, Martin said. She notified police on Tuesday.

In the other shooting, Emma Sader found a bullet hole in the front of her house about a quarter-mile from the highway and a bullet on her living room floor, the deputy said. The shooting was discovered Sunday or Monday.

"Investigators now know the person or persons has consciously decided to continue with the same activity which unfortunately resulted in the death of Mrs. Knisley," Martin said.

Police believe the shootings are the first since Gail Knisley, 62, was killed Nov. 25 as she was being driven to a doctor's appointment. She was the only person hit in the shootings.

The shootings began in May but have happened mainly in the past two months, raising fears that a sniper may be stalking the area. The incidents took place near an interchange of two highways that see 77,000 vehicles a day on average.

The bullet from the house came from the same gun as four other shootings that have been definitely linked by ballistics tests, including one at a school, Martin said. Although the tests could not link the rest of the shootings, investigators believe they all are connected.

#20 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 08:23 PM

They closed off part of I-270 Saturday, and tried to find out where the killing shot came from, they also started installing cameras today, I noticed on my way home.

http://story.news.ya...ghway_shootings

Authorities closed nearly half of the beltway around the city for two hours after dusk Saturday as federal agents investigating 14 shootings there used lasers to take ballistic measurements.

Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms walked in the westbound lane of Interstate 270 as a sedan crept along in the eastbound lane. The car appeared to be similar to the one 62-year-old Gail Knisley was riding in when she was fatally shot on Nov. 25.

A red laser shone between the driver's side door and agents working along the opposite side of the highway. The car stopped often and occasionally reversed as investigators with flashlights searched wooded areas and brush along the road.

Officials said the measurements were concentrated on a four-mile stretch of road, but 23 miles of highway were closed between the two places where Interstate 70 intersects with the outerbelt of Interstate 270. Franklin County Chief Deputy Steve Martin would not say whether authorities also used the time to install security cameras.

Also Saturday, 40 investigators went door-to-door to talk to residents near a school that was the site of one of the shootings, Martin said. He would not say what investigators learned.

"Investigators are interested in that particular neighborhood because the school is off the I-270 area where most of the linked shootings occurred," he said. "We continue to believe that the person or persons involved in the shooting incidents may live, work or are comfortable in the particular area where these shootings took place."

The closure was longer than the area investigators are targeting because it was easier to divert traffic to the major routes than surface roads, said Michelle May, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Transportation.

The shootings around a seven-mile stretch of I-270 began in May but have happened mainly in the past two months. Authorities say they have gotten more than 1,000 tips from the public.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Ohio, Shootings

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users