• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:12 PM

These haven't been confirmed that, they're related to the other shootings, but there's a good chance. And the location of the shots, make me think whomever's doing it, is starting to move around the outerbelt. :blink:

http://www.nbc4colum...895/detail.html
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#22 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:50 PM

I know driving through columbus sucks, but I think it's better then having someone shot at you. I drove through town once, it was all that bad.

That is the by pass where the shots are being fired, right?
Can't Touch This!!

#23 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 09:30 AM

Kosh, on Dec 12 2003, 11:50 PM, said:

I know driving through columbus sucks, but I think it's better then having someone shot at you. I drove through town once, it was all that bad.

That is the by pass where the shots are being fired, right?
If you went around the southern end of the outerbelt, then yes you went though the area where the shootings have been taking place.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#24 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 01:20 PM

School busses and houses have been hit recently as well.

http://story.news.ya...ootings_ohio_dc

Officials canceled classes for about 20,000 children on Thursday after bullet marks were found on two school buses, raising fears that they may be linked to shootings around a stretch of highway that have terrorized the Columbus area.

Officials began inspecting other school buses after dents found in the tail light areas of two buses were confirmed to be from bullets, officials of the South-Western School District said. It was not known when the damage was done or whether it was connected to 16 other shootings under investigation.

The news came not long after the Franklin County Sheriff's Office confirmed that a bullet fired into a house earlier in the week came from the same gun used in six of the other incidents.

No one was injured in that shooting on Monday but a bullet was found in a bath tub after a witness reported that three shots had been fired at the building.

The 16 shootings, one of them fatal, have all occurred in the Columbus area on or near a section of Interstate Highway 270. The incidents began in May but most have happened in the past few weeks.

The school district and bus routes involved in Thursday's closing covers some of the area where the shootings have occurred.

Monday's house shooting was almost 3 miles from the highway. But investigators said the bullet came from the same gun that killed a woman riding in a car on the freeway and matched bullets in five other incidents. There have been no other injuries.

While police have said they believe all of the incidents are somehow linked, they only have evidence connecting seven with the same gun. In addition to vehicles other buildings, including a school, have been targets of the shots.

The good news is that, their car might've been spotted leaving the area of the latest house shooting, so maybe somebody saw something. :unsure:

#25 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 02:41 AM

Good grief! Now they're shooting at school buses. :wacko: I hope the police find the person(s) responsible for this soon, and put an end to it.

#26 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:02 PM

Well, schools will reopen as planned, despite the shootings.

http://story.news.ya...way_shootings_7

A school district that canceled classes after bullet marks found on two buses were linked to a series of highway shootings has reopened with extra security, which parents said helped calm their nerves.

The Franklin County Sheriff's Office increased patrols of cruisers and unmarked cars around South-Western School District buildings Monday. Administrators said they made changes to the schools' safety plans but would not elaborate.

"They have strong security measures. While the children are in the building, I think they're in good hands," said Bridget Henersby, who drove her 5-year-old son, Angus, to class.

The district canceled classes for its 20,000 students on Dec. 18 and 19, the last days before its two-week winter break, after the bullet marks were discovered. The district is next to Interstate 270, where many of the 18 related shootings have occurred, including one that killed a woman.

And a local man has been questioned.

http://www.nbc4colum...272/detail.html

#27 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 09:33 PM

Finally, there might be a break in the case.

http://story.news.ya...way_shootings_4

A driver whose windshield was pierced by a bullet is the 20th known target of a highway sniper who has struck cars, school buses and buildings, investigators said Friday.

In the latest shooting, which occurred Thursday, 30-year-sold Michael Thomas of Columbus said he saw a person standing in shadows on a highway overpass just after the shooting. The driver was not hurt.

Investigators have linked 19 previous shootings that took place on or near a section of Interstate 270 on Columbus' south side. Thursday's shooting occurred about eight miles south of I-270.

"All of a sudden I heard this 'pow,'" Thomas said. "I looked up at my window and it really was cracked."

Thomas stopped at a convenience store two exits up the highway to call 911. He said the man had a large four-door sedan built in the 1980s or 1990s.

No ballistic evidence was found at the scene of the latest shooting along Interstate 71, but physical evidence links it to the other shootings, Franklin County sheriff's Chief Deputy Steve Martin said. He would not elaborate.

Gail Knisley, 62, was fatally wounded Nov. 25 while riding in a car on I-270. No one else has been injured in the shootings.

In Thursday's shooting, Michael Thomas, 30, of Columbus, said he saw a person on the overpass, and realized his car had been struck by a bullet when he heard a ping and his windshield cracked, he told police.

In his 911 call a few minutes later, Thomas said he saw a figure in his rearview mirror get back in his car and drive off after he passed under the overpass while driving home from his job at an auto-parts company.

The serial shootings started in May, although most have occurred since October.

The car supposedly matches the one caught on tape, at a gas station after another shooting, so there might be some hope that, whomever is doing the shootings might be caught soon.

However, I get the impression that, there's more than one shooter. :unsure:

#28 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 09:08 PM

http://story.news.ya...way_shootings_3

Somebody called 911 four times today saying that he's the highway sniper, however he was cut off twice, according to this article it was "unknown reasons".

http://www.nbc4colum...167/detail.html

However the local news has a better picture of events, including some the phone conversation.

#29 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:47 AM

prolog, on Dec 2 2003, 08:22 PM, said:

My understanding is that a number of .50 cal rifles are used as anti vehicle weapons by various militaries.  Perhaps that's why it's being used?
The .50 cal sniper rifles are consider to be an anti-vehicle and anti-material rifle.  I think standard practice with them is to shoot for the engine block and disable the vehicle.  Had this same weapons been IDed for all the shootings or just one?  Many of these shootings don't sound like the effect of a .50 cal round.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 31 January 2004 - 10:48 AM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#30 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:57 AM

CJ AEGIS, on Jan 31 2004, 10:45 AM, said:

prolog, on Dec 2 2003, 08:22 PM, said:

My understanding is that a number of .50 cal rifles are used as anti vehicle weapons by various militaries.  Perhaps that's why it's being used?
The .50 cal sniper rifles are consider to be an anti-vehicle and anti-material rifle.  I think standard practice with them is to shoot for the engine block and disable the vehicle.  Had this same weapons been IDed for all the shootings or just one?  Many of these shootings don't sound like the effect of a .50 cal round.
Only a small handful of the shootings have been traced back the one that killed Gail Knisley, and that one was reported have been a .50 cal., there wasn't enough left of the bullet in the last shooting, to be sure what it was. :unsure:

#31 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 10:57 AM

A second caller to 911 is claiming some kind of action today, and that police will targetted as well.

http://www.nbc4colum...814/detail.html

A second person has called 911 and claimed to be the shooter responsible for a string of 20 shootings around the city's south side, investigators said on Saturday.

The Franklin County Sheriff's Office said its communications center took the call at 2:23 a.m. Saturday from a man who said he was the "highway shooter."

"It's gonna get worse. I am intended to start shooting at the police now," the caller said, according to a sheriff's news release. The caller said he was doing this because the police have "corrupted the world."

On the tape, the caller sounds like he has a deep voice that has been disguised.

He tells the dispatcher, "Tomorrow, the whole world will see our highways."

The dispatcher responded, "They will?"

"They will see my impact," the caller says. "Tomorrow, live."

It appears the call was not made by the same person who claimed to be the highway shooter in four 911 calls to Columbus police on Monday, the sheriff's office said.

#32 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 07:00 PM

Another possible break in the case.

http://story.news.ya...ghway_shootings

No injuries were reported in Sunday's shootings, which happened about 11:30 a.m. on Interstate 71 near Jeffersonville, about 40 miles southwest of Columbus, said Jerri Redfern, a dispatcher with the State Highway Patrol.

One person has died in the serial shootings, which have targeted vehicles, schools and homes since May.

Authorities were looking for a dark sports car that may have been connected to the gunfire.

Martin said the shots were fired from two overpasses about one mile apart. Witnesses said they saw a white man in his 30s or 40s and a small, dark-colored vehicle on the overpasses. Authorities have said some shots in the previous cases came from overpasses.

Authorities had taken two juveniles with a pellet gun into custody after Sunday's shootings, but ultimately determined they were not connected to the crimes, State Highway Patrol Lt. Rick Fambro said. The youths were in a car matching the witnesses' description, he added.

"Basically it's a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time," he said. Authorities questioned the juveniles and were releasing them, Fambro said.

One lane of I-71 was closed, backing up traffic for several miles, as police searched the area of Sunday's shootings. Officers were seen examining a van parked at a gas station off I-71 and a car parked on the highway shoulder about two miles away.

Cars, school buses and homes have been fired at on or near a stretch of I-270. A passenger in a car was killed in November.

:unsure:

#33 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 10:09 PM

http://tinyurl.com/2hyqu

Hey DWF - Please, please be careful and zoom away from any black cars. This nut is becoming bolder - and more dangerous.

#34 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 10:30 PM

kimmer, on Feb 15 2004, 10:07 PM, said:

http://tinyurl.com/2hyqu

Hey DWF - Please, please be careful and zoom away from any black cars. This nut is becoming bolder - and more dangerous.
Thanks, I was going to post this but the serever went nuts.  :crazy:  People are getting angrier and angrier over this, but he might be caught on film this time, so maybe it'll be easier to catch him now, I hope. :glare:

#35 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 06:40 AM

What Kimmer said. More and more this guy sounds way too self confident, and uncareing ..and to me that makes him far more dangerous.  But it could lead to his downfall as well and I do hope it does so.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#36 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 05:56 PM

http://www.nbc4colum...597/detail.html

There is a report of a vehicle possibly being struck by a bullet on a local road, NewsChannel 4 reported.

The van was reportedly shot on Route 23 south of Rathmell Road and north of Scioto Downs. A 32-year-old Pickaway County man said he heard a noise sometime between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.. He then checked the rear right side of his van. That's when he saw what appeared to be a bullet hole.

The man then drove to his home a few miles away and called 911.

Police used a helicopter and canines to search woods and a field on the southbound side of Route 23.

There is no word if this incident is connected to the series of shootings in the Columbus area. Two other shootings connected to the serial shooter occurred on Rathmell Road.

If this shooting is linked back to the others, then the shooter/s have moved back into my neck of the woods, literally this shooting about about a mile from where I live. :eek4:

#37 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 05:58 PM

{{{{DWF}}}}

Stay safe.

#38 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:50 PM

The only slightly good thing about this loonie is that he is apparently not trying to kill people (or is a very poor shot); nevertheless, he has killed one person and the potential to hurt or kill others increases with the number of shootings.  I hope they find him soon DWF.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#39 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:06 PM

What a freakin' loon, the latest "shooting" is a hoax, the idiot shot his own van. :wacko:

A man who originally said his vehicle was struck by a bullet Wednesday afternoon on a local road later confesses to law enforcement that it was a hoax, NewsChannel 4 reported.

Richard A. Adams III, 33, of Circleville, originally told police his van was shot on Route 23 south of Rathmell Road and north of Scioto Downs. He said he heard a noise sometime between 1:15 p.m. and 1:45 p.m. He then checked the rear right side of his van. That's when he saw what appeared to be a bullet hole, NewsChannel 4's Duarte Geraldino reported.

However, later in the day police said Adams admitted that he shot his own van earlier in the day.

The serial shooting task force and other area agencies scoured the area near the shooting for evidence and a possible suspect. A bullet was recovered from the van and was taken to a crime lab for analysis. Police used a helicopter and canines to search woods and a field on the southbound side of Route 23.

Charges against Adams are pending. The Ohio State Police and the sheriff's offices in both Franklin and Pickaway counties could all press charges.

"Valuable time, resources and manpower were wasted because of this foolish action," said Franklin County sheriff Chief Deputy Steve Martin.

:glare:

#40 BizzyD17

BizzyD17

Doomed From The Start

• Islander
  • 774 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:26 PM

I second that  :glare:  I can't believe a grown man would pull a stunt like that.

I hope they get the A-hole who is doing the shootings,because I'm so freaking nervous when I go into Columbus or Dayton.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Ohio, Shootings

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users