34 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:04 PM

http://story.news.ya...h_mispronounces

Nevada memo to George Bush: When making a first presidential visit to a state, use the right pronounciation of its name.

Bush, in Las Vegas on Tuesday, repeatedly said Ne-vah-da. To properly pronounce Nevada, the middle syllable should rhyme with gamble.

Mispronouncing the state's name "sets people's teeth on edge," said state Archivist Guy Rocha. "He's the president, and he ought to get it right. Nothing personal."

Memo to Nevada:  Does the word, priority mean anything to you?

Sorry but even I, the great evil Bush hater find this frivolous.  Don't we have better things to worry about?

I will admit that reading this gave me the most warped mental image of Dubbaya arriving in the State, proclaiming:  

[Tyr]  "I am Dubbaya, out of Barbara, by George and I

am IN

Ne VAHHHHHHHHHHH DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/Tyr]

:hehe:

Lil
Posted Image

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:09 PM

Hrmph.

I've been pronouncing it "The desolate wasteland that surrounds Vegas" all these years.

Hey, my bad.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:10 PM

FTR, I pronounce it Ne Vaw da and always have and my grandparents lived there.  Hey, that gives me and Dubbaya a thing in common.  Who knew??????  :eek:

;)
Posted Image

#4 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:12 PM

I thought they cancelled, That's My Bush. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:19 PM

DWF, you came *that* close to costing me a keyboard!!!!!!!!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Posted Image

#6 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:23 PM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how in the world do you make the letters "va" rhyme with "Gamble?"  :wacko:

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:27 PM

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave it to the Burke!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:love:

Lil
Posted Image

#8 MegL

MegL
  • Islander
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:32 PM

Ah, I get it - Nee va da (with first a like the a that's in "at" and "gambel") vs Na vaw da or Nu vaw da, the middle one being how everyone pronouces it outside of the Nevada legistlator, I take it  :devil:  :devil:

Meg

#9 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:34 PM

Just the "A" in "gamble", not the whole word. It's not a rhyme, but it's a different sound from the way Bush apparently did it, in which "A" sounds like "O" sometimes does in English. Of course, Bush's way is closer to the original Spanish. But somehow, I always figured most people thought of those two as the same, while the REALLY different thing I thought they were saying Bush had done would be to pronounce the second syllable as "VAY"... which I have heard done.

Does the fact that this guy doesn't know the meaning of the word "rhyme" mean he shouldn't be allowed in an English-speaking country?

Do all Nevadans agree that this is the "right" way? Just as it's done both ways elsewhere, I'll bet it's done both ways within the state too, and this perticular person is just touchy about it.

Anyway, according to the Davis Standard, this wouldn't mean Bush can't visit the state, it would only mean he can't be its governor.

Edited by Delvo, 26 November 2003 - 11:39 PM.

#10 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:40 PM

Delvo don't hit me okay?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Delvo}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

:cool:  :lol:  :cool:

:D

Lil
Posted Image

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:41 PM

Anyway, according to the Davis Standard, this wouldn't mean Bush can't visit the state, it would only mean he can't be its governor.

But maybe Kevin Sorbo can.   :angel:  :wideeyed:  :angel:
Posted Image

#12 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 12:15 AM

:blink:

I've been pronouncing it differently than how the people I work with pronounce it, but then I can't pronounce worth anything. :p

I'll try to remember that it's an issue when I pass through.... :wacko:

edit:  Nor, apparently, can I spell.... :crazy:

Edited by Anakam, 27 November 2003 - 12:16 AM.

Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#13 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 12:21 PM

We have a state named Nevada? :blink:  I just thought it was a battleship. :p
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#14 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 04:54 PM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Lil
Posted Image

#15 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 11:01 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Nov 27 2003, 10:21 AM, said:

We have a state named Nevada? :blink:  I just thought it was a battleship. :p
BB-36... :love:
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#16 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 11:31 PM

jon3831, on Nov 27 2003, 10:01 PM, said:

BB-36...
OK, now you're reminding me of a chick I once knew named "Nevada".

#17 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:18 PM

^ Chances are excellent that she's not as beautiful a girl as the battleship.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#18 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:51 PM

^Preach it, Brotha Hawk.

Nevada's got brains, brawn, and kickass good looks.

:love:  :love:
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#19 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:52 PM

^ And did you see the guns on her? Dude.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#20 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:53 PM

There's also a Senator John S. McCain.

I was surprised too... ;)
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nevada, Bush, Pronunciation, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users