• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 TravelerOfTheWays

TravelerOfTheWays

Botherbotherbother

• Islander
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:59 PM

We have a town here in Iowa spelled Nevada, pronounced ne-VAY-da.  We also have a Madrid with the accent on the first syllable.  But that's nothing compared to Missouri's mangling of city names; their pronunciation of their city called "Versailles" makes me cry on the inside.
"The corollary, of course, is that a Western man who treats women like they're, you know, people has an absurdly easy time of things. It's like a sexy lady liquidation event. NO REASONABLE OFFER WILL BE REFUSED."

~Rov

#22 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:30 PM

<deleted>

Edited by Delvo, 07 August 2004 - 03:19 PM.

#23 Blondie

Blondie

The Peroxide Jihad

• Dead account
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 03:09 PM

We have a New MA-dride faultine running...well...pretty much through my town...they say one day all hell's gonna break loose here.

For the record: Arkansas is pronounced AR-kan-saw, not Ar-KAN-sas.  There's actually a law on the books detailing that.  Every state's got their little idiosyncrasies, I guess.
The ditz FKA TrancesHuggyPillow

#24 MegL

MegL
  • Islander
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 07:27 PM

TrancesHuggyPillow, on Nov 30 2003, 02:09 PM, said:

We have a New MA-dride faultine running...well...pretty much through my town...they say one day all hell's gonna break loose here.

For the record: Arkansas is pronounced AR-kan-saw, not Ar-KAN-sas.  There's actually a law on the books detailing that.  Every state's got their little idiosyncrasies, I guess.
What law?  :ninja: If it's a law in Arkansas (the state) then that's the states problem  :p  ;)

The river IS called Ar-Kansas, while it runs through Kansas, and Arkansas City, Kansas, is pronouced Ar-Kansas, as well  :devil:.

Anyway, the real problem I saw with the original post was that of all the words to point out that Bush may be mispronouncing, this probably isn't the one I'd have chosen to comment on (because having a accent isn't a crime).  Now if Bush decides to call Arkansas (the state) Ar-Kansas, then that would be another ball of wax  :angel:  :lol:.

Meg

#25 TravelerOfTheWays

TravelerOfTheWays

Botherbotherbother

• Islander
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 10:18 PM

I think Missouri has more towns sharing names with other places than any other state

You know, that's exactly the thought that crosses my mind every time I venture outside Columbia.  I go...Ooh, Cairo and Milan and Lebanon... or whatever town name I happen to see.

Funny you should mention Poplar Bluffs--I think I'm one of exactly half a dozen people born outside Missouri (well, not counting maybe Arkansas) who knows that town exists--I have several friends who come from that area, Poplar Bluffs and some other little towns whose names I can't remember.  

And I'm definitely rooting for a Vichy in Missouri :devil:  Just the thought of a seeing a sign... Next Exit, Vichy and hearing it pronounced Vitchy makes me giggle. :lol:

#26 Blondie

Blondie

The Peroxide Jihad

• Dead account
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 01:56 AM

MegL, on Nov 30 2003, 06:27 PM, said:

What law?  :ninja: If it's a law in Arkansas (the state) then that's the states problem  :p  ;)

The river IS called Ar-Kansas, while it runs through Kansas, and Arkansas City, Kansas, is pronouced Ar-Kansas, as well  :devil:.
They don't count. :lol:

No kidding, there's a law on the books dating back to the 1850s when there were problems between the two states.  Hence, we have an official pronunciation of our state's name.

In Arkansas, we have: El Dorado, Hamburg, Melbourne, Nashville, Washington, England, Scotland, Austin,  & Moscow.

Edited by TrancesHuggyPillow, 01 December 2003 - 02:00 AM.

The ditz FKA TrancesHuggyPillow

#27 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 03:58 AM

In Massachusetts, a state that wouldn't even make an indecent thong for my birth state of Georgia, we have Berkeley, Berlin, Cambridge, Dover, Florida, Halifax, Hannover, Holland, Kingston, Monterey, Orleans, Oxford,  Peru, Wales, and Washington.

In fact,  what citizen of the Empire wouldn't recognize
Abington, Acton, Alford, Amesbury, Amherst, Andover, Arlington, Ashburnham, Ashby, Ashfield, Ashland, Athol, Attleboro, Auburn, Avon, Ayer, Barnstable, Barre, Becket, Bedford, Bellingham, Belmont, Beverly, Billerica, Blackstone, Blandford, Bolton, Boston, Bourne, Boxborough, Boxford, Boylston, Braintree, Brewster, Bridgewater, Brockton, Brookfield, Brookline, Buckland, Burlington, Cambridge, Canton, Carlisle,  Chatham, Chelmsford, Chelsea, Cheshire, Chester, Chesterfield, Chilmark, Clinton, Concord, Conway, Cummington, Dalton, Danvers, Dartmouth, Dedham, Deerfield, Dennis, Dighton, Dover, Dracut, Dudley, Dunstable, Duxbury, Eastham, Easthampton, Easton, Essex, Everett, Fairhaven, Fall River, Falmouth, Fitchburg, Foxborough, Framingham, Gardner, Georgetown, Gill, Gloucester, Grafton, Granby, Granville, Greenfield, Groton, Hadley, Hardwick, Harvard, Harwich, Haverhill, Heath, Hingham, Hinsdale, Holbrook, Holden, Holliston, Holyoke, Hopedale, Hull, Huntington, Ipswich,  Lancaster, Lanesborough, Lawrence, Lee, Leicester, Lenox, Leominster, Lexington, Lincoln, Littleton, Longmeadow, Lowell, Ludlow, Lynn, Lynnfield, Malden, Mansfield, Marblehead, Marlborough, Marshfield, Maynard, Medfield, Medford, Medway, Melrose, Mendon, Methuen, Middleborough, Middlefield, Middleton, Milford, Millbury, Millis, Millville,  Montgomery, Needham, Newbury, Newton, Norfolk, Northampton, Northborough, Northbridge, Northfield, Norton, Norwell, Norwood, Oakham, Peabody, Pelham, Pembroke, Pepperell, Petersham, Plymouth, Plympton, Randolph, Raynham, Reading, Richmond, Rochester, Rockland, Rockport, Rowe, Rowley, Royalston, Russell, Rutland, Salem, Salisbury, Sandwich, Saugus, Savoy, Sheffield, Shelburne, Sherborn, Shrewsbury, Somerset, Somerville, Southampton, Southborough, Southbridge, Southwick, Spencer, Springfield, Sterling, Stockbridge, Stoneham, Stoughton, Stow, Sturbridge, Sudbury, Sunderland, Sutton, Swansea, Taunton, Templeton, Tewksbury, Tisbury, Tolland, Topsfield, Townsend, Tyngsborough, Tyringham, Upton, Uxbridge, Wakefield, Walpole, Waltham, Ware, Wareham, Warren, Warwick, Watertown, Wayland, Webster, Wellesley, Wellfleet, Wendell, Wenham, Westborough, Westfield, Westford, Westhampton, Westminster, Weston, Westport, Westwood, Weymouth, Whately, Whitman, Wilmington, Winchendon, Winchester, Windsor, Winthrop, Woburn, Worcester, Worthington, Wrentham and Yarmouth

and, trust me, that's not even a complete list!

Worse, we pronounce them all wrong. Billerica is "Bill Rica". Gloucester is 'Gloster", Worcester is "wooster" (but at least Dorchester is "dorchester", not "dooster") and  Wellesley is Wells-lee (which is simply wrong, no matter what the Brits say)

Oh yeah, they call us "New England" for a reason. 'Taint one of us with a lick o' imagination.

Edited by Orpheus, 01 December 2003 - 03:59 AM.

#28 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 08:49 AM

Here in Texas we are a little more inclinded to the unusual...

Austonio; Ben Hur;  Bigfoot;  Cash;  Chocolate Bayou;  Corsicana;  Cross Out;   Cut-N-Shoot;  Denton;  Desert;  Dime Box;  Ding Dong;  Elysian Fields;  Fink;  Floydada;  Early;   Earth;  Goodnight; Grice;  Gun Barrel;  Gun Sight;  Happy;  High;  Latexo; Lazbuddie  Loco;  Lollipop;  Love Lady;  NoTrees;  Pleak; Point Blank;  Possum Kingdom;  Rising Star;  Run-and-Shoot;  Success;  Taco;  Temple;  Tundra;   Uncertain; Utopia; Wamba;  Wink;  Zorn  (and these are just a few )

and of course my favorite...China Grove

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#29 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 03:09 PM

TrancesHuggyPillow, on Nov 30 2003, 01:09 PM, said:

For the record: Arkansas is pronounced AR-kan-saw, not Ar-KAN-sas.  There's actually a law on the books detailing that.  Every state's got their little idiosyncrasies, I guess.

Very true. In Oregon it's Orygun not Oregone. They even have shirts with it spelled how to pronounce it. Go figure. People here will definately correct you.  ;)

Silly humans.

Edited by Lover of Purple, 01 December 2003 - 03:11 PM.

#30 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 03:49 PM

Pronouncing town names like Kaukauna, Kekoskee, Keshena, Kewaskum, Kewaunee, Koshkonong, Chequamegon, Nebagemon, Namekagon, Nepeuskun, Oconomowoc, Wandawega, Waubeek, Waubeka, Waubeesee, Waucousta, Waukau, Waukechon, Waukesha, Waumandee, Waupaca, Waupun, Wausau, Wausaukee, Wautoma, Wauwatosa, Wauzeka, Waunakee, Waupaca, and Weyauwega comes naturally to me. :cool:

We also have a lot of Frenchy place names. It's fun listening to the tourists trying to pronounce Lac Courte Oreilles or Lac Vieux Desert. :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#31 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 04:54 PM

I love the Native American names out here:

Willamette
Chemeketa
Ochocco

Are just a few. When my bother-in-law's cousins from Italy  (he is adopted) came here, we had fun listening to him try and read the map names. He laughed as hard as we did when he heard the correct way.

#32 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 06:06 PM

Props to Orpheus for his amazing list! :cool:  :cool:

And props to Shalamar as well! :cool: Wouldn't it be cool to get a letter from Gun Sight, Texas? :wideeyed:

Edited by Kevin Street, 01 December 2003 - 11:30 PM.

Per aspera ad astra

#33 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 08:13 PM

"Spokane" can be fun, but it's just one name.  Fortunately there are lots of other ones out there... ;)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#34 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:00 PM

People from Missouri pronounce it as Missoura.

Mississippi - Missippi
New Orleans - Nawlins

-cs™

#35 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:34 PM

Smitty, on Dec 2 2003, 07:00 PM, said:

People from Missouri pronounce it as Missoura.
That mispronunciation is only perpetrated by a tiny handful of hicks that the vast majority, who don't mutilate the word like that, either find very irritating and embarassing or just love to make fun of.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nevada, Bush, Pronunciation, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users