• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 04:14 PM

BAGHDAD, Iraq - President Bush  made a surprise Thanksgiving visit to American troops in Baghdad Thursday, flying secretly to violence-scarred Iraq  to thank U.S. forces for serving there. It was the first trip ever by an American president to Iraq ó a mission tense with concern about his safety.

"You are defending the American people from danger and we are grateful," Bush told some 600 soldiers who were stunned and delighted by his appearance.

The president's plane ó its lights darkened and windows closed to minimize chances of making it a target ó landed under a crescent moon at Baghdad International Airport.

Terrorists are testing America's resolve, Bush said, and "they hope we will run."

"We did not charge hundreds of miles into the heart of Iraq, pay a bitter cost of casualties, defeat a ruthless dictator and liberate 25 million people only to retreat before a band of thugs and assassins," the president said, prompting a standing ovation and cheers

Surprize visit

Go Bush!  Personally I think this is just fantastic for him to have done.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 04:42 PM

Now that was great thing for him to do. I am glad it worked out like it did.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 27 November 2003 - 04:48 PM

Not impressed.

It's been 6 months (?) since the war started. Over 400 American soldiers dead-and we've lost more soldiers now than since the offical "end" of the war. No WMDs. $87 billion put aside to help restructure Iraq-which I find to be laughable, especially in regards to the economy of that country. I find it ridiculous that we are trying to rebuild the economy of a country we blasted to pieces while here in the U.S., we have problems with OUR OWN economy.

IMO, it's at best a hollow gesture. And I stand by that opinion.

:smirk:

Edited by Vapor Trails, 27 November 2003 - 04:49 PM.

#4 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:04 PM

I'm not a Bush fan, but I *am* impressed and touched by this visit.

That Bush put the power of his office--at some risk to his personal safety--to work to thank our troops makes me pleased with him.

Here's hoping he can pay the troops better too, or better yet, get them out of Iraq ASAP.

I'm thankful that Bush made that visit--edited to add-though I do understand your ire, VT.

Kathy :)

Edited by Appreciate, 27 November 2003 - 05:05 PM.

"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#5 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:05 PM

Iím giving him three cheers too.  It says something to the troops when the President is willing to make the commitment to visit them in the field on a holiday.  Especially when it comes at some risk to the President himself.  

VT: I find it ridiculous that we are trying to rebuild the economy of a country we blasted to pieces while here in the U.S., we have problems with OUR OWN economy.

That sounds amazingly like something Iíd expect to hear from an isolationist during the 1930s...  In other matters I'm sure much to the angst of many Democrats the economy is recovering.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 27 November 2003 - 05:07 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#6 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:11 PM

How do you suppose the Queen feels about Bush taking his meal in the cafeteria line with the troops? :upside:

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:16 PM

I'm impressed too.  I think it's very important that he did this.  

Lil
Posted Image

#8 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:22 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Nov 27 2003, 05:16 PM, said:

I'm impressed too.  I think it's very important that he did this. 
:blink:   Lil a dn I agree on Bush.... :upside:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:28 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Nov 27 2003, 02:22 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Nov 27 2003, 05:16 PM, said:

I'm impressed too.  I think it's very important that he did this. 
:blink:   Lil a dn I agree on Bush.... :upside:
[Tyr]  Be assured.  It will NEVAH happen again...[/Tyr]

;)
Posted Image

#10 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 07:15 PM

Not usually a Bush fan, but I think this was a classy and even courageous thing to do.

Very cool. :)

#11 aphrael

aphrael
  • Islander
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 07:47 PM

Grandstanding again. Not impressed, especially since my nephew who just got back from Iraq may have to go again.

:elf:

#12 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 08:23 PM

Well, whatever you want to say about Bush, he's no coward.  There's about fifty things you can do to grandstand that are significantly safer than carrier landings and holiday trips to war zones where people have itchy trigger fingers on their ground to air shoulder fired missiles.  Yeah, it's PR as much as anything, I don't think anyone is dumb enough to miss that, but it's also inspiring, and that frankly, is what leaders are supposed to do.  Most importantly, it tells me that the troops are being thought of, and that is the more important thing of all.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#13 aphrael

aphrael
  • Islander
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:00 PM

Uncle Sid, on Nov 27 2003, 07:23 PM, said:

Well, whatever you want to say about Bush, he's no coward.  There's about fifty things you can do to grandstand that are significantly safer than carrier landings and holiday trips to war zones where people have itchy trigger fingers on their ground to air shoulder fired missiles.  Yeah, it's PR as much as anything, I don't think anyone is dumb enough to miss that, but it's also inspiring, and that frankly, is what leaders are supposed to do.  Most importantly, it tells me that the troops are being thought of, and that is the more important thing of all.
Its an election year if it wasn't he wouldn't have been there. give me break.

#14 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:04 PM

I think it is more than an election year stunt, sorry but I have a good idea of the sheer ..... that went through his protection details minds when they heard what he intended...

I'm surprized that even with the precautions they allowed it.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#15 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:25 PM

It was a good gesture, and I'm pleased that he made it. It was also totally political, and it'll certainly get him re-elected. ;)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#16 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:30 PM

aphrael, on Nov 27 2003, 10:00 PM, said:

Its an election year if it wasn't he wouldn't have been there. give me break.

Well, it's easy to be cynical about it.  After all, all politicians are always facing the next election unless they are faced with term limits, and even then, they may be stumping for their party's next candidate.  Should he have not gone to Iraq just so that he didn't appear to be grandstanding for those of us determined to see a stunt in it?  That's just silly.  

Few politicians find the need to brave antiaircraft fire and other threats to get themselves re-elected.  Again, yes, there's plenty of PR capital in it, but you'd think that there should be, wouldn't you?  Should there be better PR for making a speech about Iraq from some podium at the White House or his ranch?  

You are right if you say that a politician will try and get political capital out of whatever that they can.  That's nearly a truism.  However, I'd rather have someone derive that capital from a gesture of some substance than more of the same babbling from the comfort of their office.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#17 aphrael

aphrael
  • Islander
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:39 PM

Apparently, I will not agree with any of you who like Bush.  So lets leave it at that.  When he has family in Iraq enduring danger maybe then I'll feel differently.

Edited by aphrael, 27 November 2003 - 09:40 PM.

#18 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:41 PM

The election is still a year away, and alot can happen in that time. ;)  I just hope he didn't take out any trees or shrubs this time. :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#19 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:45 PM

Sid: Well, whatever you want to say about Bush, he's no coward.
Agreed.  I had a impossible time picturing Clinton pulling off a similar stunt.  Of course with Clintonís popularity with the troops he wouldnít have had such a wild crowd and probably a much colder reception.  

Sid: There's about fifty things you can do to grandstand that are significantly safer than carrier landings and holiday trips to war zones where people have itchy trigger fingers on their ground to air shoulder fired missiles.
Well said.  Bush could have done innumerable things to draw attention to himself that didnít involve putting his hide on the line.  Historically this will go down as a historical footnote in regards to the Executive Branch.  Not since FDR and Churchill rendezvoused onboard the HMS Prince of Wales and USS Augusta has a President gone into harmís way to this extent.  Iíd say this will rack up there with the Conference and Lincolnís visit to Richmond.  

Aphrael: Its an election year if it wasn't he wouldn't have been there. give me break.
I have to agree with Shal.  A lot more is at work here than a simple election year PR getter.  Bush whether you like him or not has been in touch with the military since the War on Terror started.  He isnít a CINC who places himself above or out of reach of the troops and instead seems to go out of his way at times to hobnob with them.  So while this gets a lot of PR for Bush it isnít out of character at all for him.      

Shal: I'm surprized that even with the precautions they allowed it.
The USSS must have freaked when they got alerted to this plan.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 27 November 2003 - 10:39 PM.

-Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#20 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 27 November 2003 - 10:10 PM

aphrael, on Nov 28 2003, 02:39 AM, said:

Apparently, I will not agree with any of you who like Bush.  So lets leave it at that.  When he has family in Iraq enduring danger maybe then I'll feel differently.

What aphrael said. Nothing more to add.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, Bush, Visit to Baghdad

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users