47 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 09:54 PM

http://story.news.ya...rampled_shopper

A mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players trampled the first woman in line and knocked her unconscious as they scrambled for the shelves at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Patricia VanLester had her eye on a $29 DVD player, but when the siren blared at 6 a.m. Friday announcing the start to the post-Thanksgiving sale, the 41-year-old was knocked to the ground by the frenzy of shoppers behind her.

"She got pushed down, and they walked over her like a herd of elephants," said VanLester's sister, Linda Ellzey. "I told them, `Stop stepping on my sister! She's on the ground!'"

Ellzey said some shoppers tried to help VanLester, and one employee helped Ellzey reach her sister, but most people just continued their rush for deals.

"All they cared about was a stupid DVD player," she said Saturday.

This is insane, all that over some DVD players?? :wacko:  :disappointed:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 10:26 PM

I got to see a Cabage Patch Kids rush once. The store only had a few, so they spread them out in all departments, and shoppers had to find them. That was funny. No one got hurt.
Can't Touch This!!

#3 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 29 November 2003 - 11:14 PM

It's stories like this that make me glad I'm an intensely solitary person.

Ugh.

:angry:  :crazy:  :glare:

#4 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,194 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 12:51 AM

They'll put a DVD player on hold for her? :blink:

With what happened in their store, they should have GIVEN her a DVD player. Damn, it was only $29, as the article said.

I am liking Wal-Mart less and less with each article that I read that involves that store. :angry:

Rommie :cylon:
Posted Image

#5 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 01:16 AM

Wal-mart is evil!  I refuse to shop there.  I don't care if it is cheap, it isn't worth the price of my immortal soul!!!!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#6 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 30 November 2003 - 02:52 AM

RommieSG, on Nov 30 2003, 05:51 AM, said:

With what happened in their store, they should have GIVEN her a DVD player. Damn, it was only $29, as the article said.

I am liking Wal-Mart less and less with each article that I read that involves that store. :angry:

Never mind that-why weren't people ARRESTED for ASSAULT AND DISORDERLY CONDUCT???

A woman was nearly trampled to death!! Why were these a**hole shoppers allowed to get away with what they did?!

:crazy:

Pathetic.

:glare:

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 03:50 AM

Ow, Ow, Ow!

Poor woman. I make it a point never to go shopping the day after Thanksgiving. It's a zoo, and it can be brutal.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 03:57 AM

Never mind that-why weren't people ARRESTED for ASSAULT AND DISORDERLY CONDUCT???

A woman was nearly trampled to death!! Why were these a**hole shoppers allowed to get away with what they did?!

Pathetic.

I agree. Once people are held accountable for their actions, the world will become a much better place.
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#9 Lord Ravensburg

Lord Ravensburg

All your lightsabers are belong to me

• Islander
  • 533 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 06:47 AM

I carry pepper spray for occasions just like that.  Not mace, mind you.  This stuff is like an instant brick wall.

#10 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 02:03 PM

I hope she sues.
Posted Image

#11 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 02:06 PM

Vapor Trails, on Nov 29 2003, 11:52 PM, said:

Pathetic.

Agree on both counts! I worked for Sears as a teenager and I was stunned at the behavior of shoppers - and this was years ago. I can't even imagine going near any store the day after Thanksgiving.

Lil, I agree with you also!

Wonder if letters to WM would help encourage them to do right by this woman?

#12 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 08:24 PM

Vapor Trails, on Nov 30 2003, 03:52 AM, said:

Pathetic.

If cutomers got arrested, Wal-Mart would lose the sales. Can't have that. If the woman had called police, most would have been gone by the time they got to the store. About the only hope would be store cameras. If I were her, I'd have a lawyer on the store for the tapes.
Can't Touch This!!

#13 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 09:50 PM

I don't see how it's Wal-Mart's fault if shoppers stampede. What was Wal-Mart supposed to do? Have security guards standing by with riot control gear?

Edited by QuantumFlux, 30 November 2003 - 09:50 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#14 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, I'm not seeing what Wal Mart did wrong here.

People did stupid things long before Wal Mart existed; Wal Mart just happened to be the location, this time.

EDIT: Or, more succinctly, what QF said.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 30 November 2003 - 10:01 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#15 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 10:10 PM

I don't know...  On one hand, I can agree with the assertion that a store cannot be held responsible for the actions of its customers, but this is hardly the first time something like this has happened.  At what point does it become negligent on the part of the store to not provide suitable crowd-control measures when they have a sale that they know is going to draw a crowd like this?

There are ways to do it besides having riot-control cops, too.  Just off-hand, if they're going to have, say, 500 DVD players available for $29, give out tickets/coupons well beforehand - if you start a month ahead of time, you won't have the same rush, and you'll draw people into the store twice - once for the coupon, and once for the actual player.

The thing is, I think the only way this sort of thing can be prevented in the future is for the stores to take responsibility for the crowd-control, and I think that will only happen if someone sues them.

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#16 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 10:31 PM

QuantumFlux, on Nov 30 2003, 06:50 PM, said:

I don't see how it's Wal-Mart's fault if shoppers stampede. What was Wal-Mart supposed to do? Have security guards standing by with riot control gear?
It's a little thing called "premises liability".  In a nutshell:  what Rhys said.  

This was an eminently foreseeable occurence and Walmart damn well SHOULD take responsibility.  They didn't just expect a huge crowd with this sale, they INVITED it.
Posted Image

#17 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 10:36 PM

^^^I have to somewhat agree with that, while I don't think it was done overtly, but by putting that price on a DVD player, the day after Thanksgiving, is just inviting trouble. :crazy:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#18 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 10:38 PM

Yup.  It's called accountability.  They want to encourage mad rushes for great deals then they damned well better be required to take reasonable steps to make those mad rushes SAFE.  It's that  simple.
Posted Image

#19 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 10:43 PM

There are ways to do it besides having riot-control cops, too. Just off-hand, if they're going to have, say, 500 DVD players available for $29, give out tickets/coupons well beforehand - if you start a month ahead of time, you won't have the same rush, and you'll draw people into the store twice - once for the coupon, and once for the actual player

But that would make the DVD players unavailable to people at the store when the sale starts, which would reduce sales; there's no guarantee those 500 people are going to show up. Further, any additional layers such as that eliminates the entire point; it would drive up the price, and Wal Mart only functions because they can offer things at such a deep discount. It's also unfair to those who would be perfectly civil in obtaining a DVD player; it's punishing the masses for the actions of a few.

They want to encourage mad rushes for great deals then they damned well better be required to take reasonable steps to make those mad rushes SAFE. It's that simple

So, Wal Mart can never announce a sale on their PA system unless they have riot control there to make sure nobody gets trampled?  Or did you have some alternate method in mind?

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 30 November 2003 - 10:45 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#20 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 10:48 PM

Rhys already mentioned one alternative.  Another is roping things off to control the flow.  I've seen it done at dozens of stores. Just one example, when the Macy's in downtown SF first openned their XMas row it was a big deal and they had a line.  Simple. The idea that riot police are necessary to prevent this kind of thing is just silly Rov.  Think about it.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Florida, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users