• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 01:51 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Dec 6 2003, 01:09 AM, said:

A cite for these allegations if you please?  Something a little more reliable than "another web board"?

Here you go:

Google search under VanLester

AP story at azcentral

tv station story

CBS news

All of these mirror the post from the other board. I saw a live tv interview with her mom. Mom was all nasty about WM, and how her daughter is suffering and deserves to be paid for her suffering. Then the reporter asked about all the other claims and mom spewed out some profanity and shut the door in the reporter's face.  :p

This woman may indeed have a legit claim, and the others might also be legit -- it just looks fishy on the surface. Especially since so many claims are against WM. Not that I think they are totally blameless - with their overstuffed aisles (that are already too small, imo) full of merchandise you can hardly walk in their da** stores. Don't want to be in one if there is a fire -- you would never get out. And I won't even go into what I think of how they are ruining the yarn/crochet/knitting industry by giving us great prices and horrid quality under special agreements with manufacturers (and this extends beyond the craft dept) ... and in effect ruining this country (and the manufacturers aren't blameless either). I just really hate WM.  :glare:

Edited by kimmer, 06 December 2003 - 01:52 PM.

#42 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 02:41 PM

What this proves is that she's litigious (and has a grudge against WM).  Being litigious is unfortunately something that is encouraged by a legal system that doesn't believe that sh*t sometimes just happens.  What this does NOT prove is Delvo's assertion that she "cries wolf over accidents that didn't happen".  Particularly *this* one which appears to have been witnessed by a lot of people.

Edited by Una Salus Lillius, 06 December 2003 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image

#43 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 02:50 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Dec 6 2003, 07:41 PM, said:

What this proves is that she's litigious (and has a grudge against WM).  Being litigious is unfortunately something that is encouraged by a legal system that doesn't believe that sh*t sometimes just happens.  What this does NOT prove is Delvo's assertion that she "cries wolf over accidents that didn't happen".  Particularly *this* one which appears to have been witnessed by a lot of people.
Your right Lil
Being litigious, and being right are not mutually exclusive…

The once and future:
Sparky::
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#44 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 02:59 PM

Orpheus, on Nov 30 2003, 10:25 PM, said:

The key negligence was blaring an 'off to the races' horn, and praying nothing went wrong.
That doesn't fly. It's not like "If you grab the DVD player in the next ten minutes...".

From most sources I can find, customers had four hours to pick one up, and I believe they could have gotten a rain check for out of stock merchandise.

There was simply no rational basis for the action of the crowd. If we start holding companies liable for irrational actions of their customers, then what's to stop somebody for suing Harley Davidson if they get hit by a motorcycle? Or, hey, say a fistfight breaks out in a restaurant (no alcohol involved). Can I sue?

To paraphrase a point I made earlier: Thousands of large retaillers open every day during the holiday seasons, and most of these events have no problems. How likely does something have to be before the company is held responsible?

And why does this woman continue to shop at Wal Mart if she's had this many problems with them? I think by the sixth "injury", she'd figure out that maybe it wasn't the place for her...
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#45 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 02:59 PM

kimmer, on Dec 6 2003, 11:51 AM, said:

And I won't even go into what I think of how they are ruining the yarn/crochet/knitting industry by giving us great prices and horrid quality under special agreements with manufacturers
How does that work? Nobody else sells yarn? :confused:
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#46 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 04:22 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Dec 6 2003, 11:41 AM, said:

What this proves is that she's litigious (and has a grudge against WM).  Being litigious is unfortunately something that is encouraged by a legal system that doesn't believe that sh*t sometimes just happens.  What this does NOT prove is Delvo's assertion that she "cries wolf over accidents that didn't happen".  Particularly *this* one which appears to have been witnessed by a lot of people.
So far, but now all her other claims are under investigation. She may have a legit claim, I don't know.

#47 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Javert Rovinski, on Dec 6 2003, 11:59 AM, said:

If we start holding companies liable for irrational actions of their customers, then what's to stop somebody for suing Harley Davidson if they get hit by a motorcycle? Or, hey, say a fistfight breaks out in a restaurant (no alcohol involved). Can I sue?
But don't we already have the start of this? We are suing the tobacco companies for lung cancer - and even those who began smoking after the warning labels were on the packs are winning; we are suing gun manufacturers because after all, they made the weapon; we are suing Ford and "that tire company whose name elludes me at the moment" for all the rollovers. Doesn't matter if any of the lawsuits are justified (so don't blast me and say these were good law suits) ... these were the law suits that opened the door. I fully expect to see more and more of this stuff. Hmmm ... now that I think about it, this woman should sue the DVD manufacturer as well as WM.  ;)

#48 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Javert Rovinski, on Dec 6 2003, 11:59 AM, said:

kimmer, on Dec 6 2003, 11:51 AM, said:

And I won't even go into what I think of how they are ruining the yarn/crochet/knitting industry by giving us great prices and horrid quality under special agreements with manufacturers
How does that work? Nobody else sells yarn? :confused:
Well, in my city 4 other stores have either gone out of business or quit selling yarn since WM came to town. Plus, WM has made special deals with the yarn manufacturers for their products. The manufacturer makes certain colors and sizes and such available only for WM. Once it's gone from the store, it's gone. Now that WM has this deal in place, they no longer carry the full regular line of the yarn companies, and some companies not at all. So we now have much more limited colors, and variety of yarns available.

WM does the same thing in their housewares dept (special Corning dishes no one else has, Oneida silverware, pots and pans, etc), and probably most of the other depts. They had a special deal a few years ago with a mini-doll company. Was very frustrating as I wanted to buy the little dolls, and they sold out locally very quickly -- and it turned out there were a special deal with WM, so I couldn't buy them anywhere else. :frustrated:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Florida, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users