24 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:19 PM

http://www.msnbc.com/news/1000254.asp

DEAN: Iran is a more complex problem because the problem support as clearly verifiable as it is in North Korea. Also, we have less-fewer levers much the key, I believe, to Iran is pressure through the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union is supplying much of the equipment that Iran, I believe, most likely is using to set itself along the path of developing nuclear weapons. We need to use that leverage with the Soviet Union and it may require us to buying the equipment the Soviet Union was ultimately going to sell to Iran to prevent Iran from them developing nuclear weapons. That is also a country that must not be allowed to develop nuclear weapons much the key to all this is foresight. Let’s act now so we don’t have to have a confrontation which may result in force, which would be very disastrous in the case of North Korea and might be disastrous in the case of Iran.

Um, Mr. Dean? Sir? There's something I need to tell ya....
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:21 PM

^ "Yes, that's what we wanted you to believe! MWA HAHAHA!!!"

*cue Berlin wall re-constructing itself at the push of a button*

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:24 PM

LOL Hawk.

It's not a big deal, of course, just the kind of silly malaprop that people sometimes make when talking off the top of their heads. I just found it amusing. :).

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:25 PM

heh, so which is worse, pronouncing "Nevada" Ne vah dah or not knowing that there hasn't been a Soviet Union in a long time.

:angel:
Posted Image

#5 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:25 PM

^ Yeah, but three malaprops is quite a feat. That's almost Bushworthy.

It almost makes me want to ask, is our Democratic candidates learning? ;)

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#6 Yama

Yama
  • Islander
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:31 PM

You know, if President (or candidate) Bush had said the exact same thing that Howard Dean said, the press and their liberal allies would be up in arms proclaiming how uninformed (and stupid) he was.
Straight, conservative, capitalist and pro-life African-American Christian.  Any Questions?

#7 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:36 PM

^ But Dean doesn't rate that kind of press attention. If (Maybe when?) the press thought he had a real shot at the White House, they'd give him a proper roasting.

Hawk:
^ "Yes, that's what we wanted you to believe! MWA HAHAHA!!!"

*cue Berlin wall re-constructing itself at the push of a button*

:crazy:
:unsure:
:lol:

Obviously, this wasn't the real Howard Dean - it has to be a duplicate Howard Dean from an evil alternate universe! :alien:

Edited by Kevin Street, 02 December 2003 - 07:36 PM.

Per aspera ad astra

#8 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:38 PM

Lil-- I'll take door number two, thanks... ;)

Yama-- And if Dean is the eventual Democratic candidate, things like this will start to come up in more mainstream sources.

:lol: Kevin

#9 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:40 PM

Well, since the "evil" parallel-universe Cartman was nice to an excess, maybe the "evil" parallel-universe Dean would make a good President!

#10 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:47 PM

In Dean's defense, I must admit I call Russia "The Soviet Union" all the time.  I just can't get those dang 80's outta my head sometimes, I guess.

Of course, I'm not running for office, either...  :eh:

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:50 PM

John Burke, on Dec 2 2003, 04:47 PM, said:

Of course, I'm not running for office, either...  :eh:
Exactly.  And it's not like Dean had one slip.  It was multiple.  

Lil
Posted Image

#12 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:53 PM

In fairness to Dean, when he first uses the phrase "Soviet Union" he preceded it with a very important adjective:

We’re spending a lot of money in Iraq. We’re spending money building tactical battlefield nuclear weapons, which are never going to be helpful fighting terrorism. And we’re not spending money on human intelligence and on cyber-intelligence and on cargo inspection and on buying the enriched uranium stocks of the former Soviet Union. If that stuff gets in terrorist hands, we have a major national security problem.

http://www.msnbc.com...00254.asp?cp1=1

Which is a lot easier to say then rattling off all the individual names of the republics that now comprise the former Soviet Union.

As always, context proves to be crucial to understanding.

Banapis

Edited by Banapis, 02 December 2003 - 07:54 PM.

#13 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:53 PM

Remember the good old days when you could tell something about one's level of knowledge if (s)he mistakenly called the Soviet Union "Russia"? :upside:

#14 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:58 PM

He could be missing the good ole days... :angel:  The Red Army will rise and storm the plains of Europe....  or something like that. :p

Banapis, on Dec 2 2003, 07:53 PM, said:

In fairness to Dean, when he first uses the phrase "Soviet Union" he preceded it with a very important adjective:
The other times though he uses it in the present tense without the use of former.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 02 December 2003 - 07:59 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#15 Yama

Yama
  • Islander
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:10 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Dec 3 2003, 12:38 AM, said:

Yama-- And if Dean is the eventual Democratic candidate, things like this will start to come up in more mainstream sources.

Kevin Street, on Dec 3 2003, 12:36 AM, said:

^ But Dean doesn't rate that kind of press attention. If (Maybe when?) the press thought he had a real shot at the White House, they'd give him a proper roasting.

But Howard Dean is already the front-runner for the Democratic nomination.  Or at least, he is already winning that all-important first primary: money.  And he is leading in the polls.  If you think that he can't win the nomination, remember that the Democrats once nominated George McGovern.  Anything can happen.

And the point of my original post in this thread is not that Howard Dean is stupid or anything as such.  I am simply arguing that if George W. Bush had made the same statement as a candidate, even if he had first prefaced "Soviet Union" with the word "former", many elements in the press -- and the more liberal elements in the polity, especially amongst the "chattering class" -- would have siezed upon it as "proof" that he was ill-informed and, yes, even stupid.
Straight, conservative, capitalist and pro-life African-American Christian.  Any Questions?

#16 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:19 PM

Dean the excuse to vote for Hilary come the convention. Oh wait she is not a canidate. Except she is in Iowa shaking hands while Dean make flup-ups so Hilary can be seen as the great savior of the party.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#17 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,653 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:22 PM

In other nomeclature news, General Clark has apparently decided, given the campaign ads he's running here, that real nominees aren't called Wesley, so he's billing himself as Wes Clark.

I wonder if he's worried that people might start comparing him to another Wesley C.  :devil:

I'm currently leaning toward either Lieberman or John Edwards, but I'm not very excited about anyone.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#18 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:25 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Dec 3 2003, 12:58 AM, said:

Banapis, on Dec 2 2003, 07:53 PM, said:

The other times though he uses it in the present tense without the use of former.
But of what relevance is that when taken out of context from the ongoing dialogue?

He got it right the first time and later dropped the use of "former" during a segment where Matthews quickly changed gears to an audience question.  By that time everybody in the audience had heard Dean's initial response and knew exactly what he meant.  That's why I said context is important.  Nobody would have misunderstood him and you have to play the ever popular "take-the-words-out-of-context game" in order to paint Dean as "out of date."  

To which I say: dirty pool old man.  Dirty pool. :p

Banapis

#19 Yama

Yama
  • Islander
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:25 PM

G1223, on Dec 3 2003, 01:19 AM, said:

Dean the excuse to vote for Hilary come the convention. Oh wait she is not a canidate. Except she is in Iowa shaking hands while Dean make flup-ups so Hilary can be seen as the great savior of the party.
Not gonna happen in 2004.

#20 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:42 PM

Yama, on Dec 3 2003, 01:25 AM, said:

G1223, on Dec 3 2003, 01:19 AM, said:

Not gonna happen in 2004.
You are sure of this? Because otherwise why is she out meeting and greeting folks in Iowa?
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politicians, Howard Dean, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users