24 replies to this topic

#21 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:51 PM

Banapis, on Dec 2 2003, 05:25 PM, said:

Nobody would have misunderstood him and you have to play the ever popular "take-the-words-out-of-context game" in order to paint Dean as "out of date." 

To which I say: dirty pool old man.  Dirty pool. :p
Thank you, boy this one is quite stretch!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#22 Yama

Yama
  • Islander
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:59 PM

G1223, on Dec 3 2003, 01:42 AM, said:

Yama, on Dec 3 2003, 01:25 AM, said:

G1223, on Dec 3 2003, 01:19 AM, said:

Dean the excuse to vote for Hilary come the convention. Oh wait she is not a canidate. Except she is in Iowa shaking hands while Dean make flup-ups so Hilary can be seen as the great savior of the party.
Not gonna happen in 2004.
You are sure of this? Because otherwise why is she out meeting and greeting folks in Iowa?
Getting off topic but yes, I am QUITE certain Hillary Clinton will not be running in 2004.  At tis point, there are too many candidates for the Democratic nomination who have too much of a vested interest in their own candidacy and too many consultants, handlers, fund raisers, etc. already dedicated to the candidates that are already out there.  Strangely enough, Wesley Clark picked up the last of the "Clintonistas"; forecluding -- in my opinion -- a run by Hillary this cycle.

As for her being acclaimed at the Democratic Convention, it will not happen because: (a) again, too many Democrats are already committed to others (including themselves) and (b) nominating her if she has not entered and won a primary seems too undemocratic (and un-Democratic, slight pun intended).  Times have changed since the halcyon days of 1968, when a sitting Vice President could when the nomination without really running in the primaries.  Indeed, the changes in the Democratic nomination process in 1968 and especially 1972 were enacted to insure that never happens again.  It looks way too much like an annointing, especially for the self-proclaimed "party of the little people".

As for why Hillary is pressing the flesh in Iowa now, she is making her preparations for 2008.  (Newsflash: there a few notable Democrats who, off the record, think there chances of regaining the White House in 2004 range between slim and none.)  It keeps interest in her high, it prepares the groundwork for 2008 and, let's face it, she gets the "true believers" in the Democratic Party motivated for whoever is the eventual Democratic nominee; in much the same way that Reagan used to get the Republican "true believers" motivated.

Newsflash 2: Hillary is by no means universally loved amongst the "powers that be" in the Democratic Party.  They will use her for there own purposes, as she will use them for hers, but there is a level of animosity between them.  She knows this -- no one ever accused her of being dumb -- and thus must widen her base first.

To be honest, the major votaries of a "Hillary in 2004" campaign are rightwing zealots who do so: (a) to motivate their own base and (b) because they have an unhealthy and possibly paranoid obsession with her.  Hillary is still an incredibly polarizing figure, even more so than her husband.
Straight, conservative, capitalist and pro-life African-American Christian.  Any Questions?

#23 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 12:34 PM

Cardie, on Dec 2 2003, 06:22 PM, said:

In other nomeclature news, General Clark has apparently decided, given the campaign ads he's running here, that real nominees aren't called Wesley, so he's billing himself as Wes Clark.

I wonder if he's worried that people might start comparing him to another Wesley C.  :devil:

I'm currently leaning toward either Lieberman or John Edwards, but I'm not very excited about anyone.

Cardie
Me either. I like Kerry, but I doubt he stands even a remote chance of getting the nomination.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#24 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:53 PM

Well Yama what about the recent Hollywood stunt that was organized by Hilary's PAC.

Edited by G1223, 03 December 2003 - 03:56 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#25 Yama

Yama
  • Islander
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 06:05 PM

G1223, on Dec 3 2003, 08:53 PM, said:

Well Yama what about the recent Hollywood stunt that was organized by Hilary's PAC.
If you're talking about HillPac, I'm not in the least bit surprised.  It is a way for her to raise money (which Senators do incessantly), keep her profile high and collect "chets" and favors for when she does run in 2008.  But I stand by my assertion that Hillary Clinton will not be running for President in 2004.  Period.

EDITED TO ADD:
We have gotten off topic here.  We should probably start another thread if you really want to continue with this.

Edited by Yama, 03 December 2003 - 06:07 PM.

Straight, conservative, capitalist and pro-life African-American Christian.  Any Questions?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politicians, Howard Dean, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users