San Diego, Refioux

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
471 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:05 PM

Um.......Rhys, I think that would be pronounced Refix ;), which is what I'm doing right now because Refoux is a bit screwy in post order.

I'm going to copy and paste the posts here because I'm sad that we keep losing them.

My original post: We seemed to have lost Rethrux during the upgrade....a small inconvenience but nothing we can't redo. I just hate to keep losing people's posts because it's fun to read them.

First the list of people going or thinking about going:

Rov (name tag done)
Monique (name tag done)
Josh
Jon
Andulasia
writergroupie/Jill
Anakam
Malinda/JustMe (name tag done)
Kathy/Appreciate
Lil/Una Salus Lillius
Jid
silverwind (name tag done)
bob
bob's brother
Richie
Rhys
G1223 (name tag done)
Zephyr
gadfly
Heropa
Godeskian (name tag done)
Kelela (formerly known as cak)
eechick (name tag done)
Vee
A Karas
flatlanddan
(tell me if I forgot someone)

Next:
The Hotel:

We found a fairly cheap room close by the convention center. Only .85 miles. We booked a room for Friday, 18-Sunday, 20. Both Rov and I should have our cars, so we can still do stuff on Sunday after we all have to check out......if you leave on
Sunday. We're hoping to arrive early Friday morning.

This is the Comfort Inn hotel, only two stars but what are ya gonna do ;-). The Clarion was booked. Rov says it's the perfect hotel because it's on Ash Street. [biggrin.gif]

If you want to try this then follow Rov's instructions below. And remember....if anything goes wrong......blame Rov! ;) ;) (Or video games, he says).

http://www.choicehotels.com/

Click on this, then choose Comfort Inn for brand name. Choose San Diego for destination, CA as state. Click July 18 as the start date, click two nights

Go next to San Diego, and click 'list hotels'

then, do a text search for CA465 or just look for "Comfort Inn Downtown"

Then click check rates, and book your room! Just reserve it, you can always cancel or change it later.

Under 'Marketing Program' go to Internet Rates then click 'Show Available Room and Rates'

You may cancel it so long as you do so 48 hours in advance. Plenty of time.

Be well.......Monique, now apparently Rov's secretary, too. : ;)

Okay, that was the original posting. Richie and a few othes tried it and it worked okay. Several people have rooms now....if you have one and need a roomie or need a roomie and a room, please post and we can work things out.

Um, what else.....oh the link for the convention!!

Comic-Con site is at http://www.comic-con.org

Edited by Monique Peppermint, 21 April 2003 - 06:05 AM.

#2 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:33 PM

Summary from old thread.  (I tried to copy/paste the posts but it was too time consuming......I really wanted to save them too. :( .

But this will have to do!!!!

First......JILL!!!....you're still wanted in the thread for any updates or news or hints!!  I did the link again....I took your job.....but come visit us soon!! :D

Room situation so far, correct me if I'm wrong:

JustMe has a room with possible three roomies already: Josh, bob, Jid

bob's brother probably staying with a friend.

Richie has a room - needs roommate(s)??

Silverwind has a room - has a mystery roommate.

Kathy has a room and is all set.

Lil and Zephry have a room, they're all set.

Rhys has a one person room, he's all set.

Rov and Monique all set.

G1223 has a room - possibly rooming with Heropa

Andi has a room for one. Is all set.

Godeskian, youth hostel possibly

These are too good not to post:

by bob:
Here's the latest on my end...

You can upgrade me from Maybe to Probably if you want. [;)]  My brother, Jamie, thinks that he has a couple frequent flyer tickets we can use to get out there but first we have to find them, and then see if they've expired or not. [;)]  If they have or we can't find them, we'll look into regular tickets.  I just want to wait til we have actual tickets before saying I'm definite. [;)]

And it looks like he won't be staying in the hotel room with us.  He lived out in SD for a couple years and has been in touch with one of his friends out there, who he'll probably stay with.  He and his friend will probably go to the con (his friend went before and really liked it), but it looks like we have an opening in our hotel room. [:)

I'll keep everyone updated when I know more. [:)]

by Rov:
Posted: Jan 21 2003, 10:44 AM

Rov does the happy dance of Nean appreciation!

by Monique
Posted: Jan 21 2003, 10:51 AM

Monique joins Rov in his happy dance.....now if they can just get Iolanthe to come to SD as well!!

Bob, all updated in the posts.....ty   [:)]

Posted: Jan 21 2003, 10:54 AM by bob
I have my own happy dance? *sniff*   [:wideeyed:]   [;)]

Posted: Jan 21 2003, 10:54 AM by Rov

Yay Monique!

Bob-- yep, you're that special [;)]

Of course bob insists on seeing this dance if she makes, it, while JustMe has declined to put on her dancing shoes.  Little does JM know that Monique has a pair just for her!!

Back with more..hang on!!!

Edited by Monique Peppermint, 05 April 2003 - 04:22 AM.

#3 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:35 PM

UPDATED: PLEASE READ IF YOU'VE ALREADY READ

This was the info on name tags:

I've emailed  many of you about name badges.  There are a few I don't have emails for.  If you WANT a name badge, PM me with your email address or we can discuss it over PM.  Here's what I'm planning on having them look like as explained in my email:

Okay, here's the name tags.  Yes, I know we have over or rather nearly 6 months, but this way we don't have to rush.

Mainly they will be ExIsle name tags to identify us a Islanders.  There will be a little something about the breach on there.  So, here we go....... *will try to send a sample somehow but it puts everything out of order, so get that imagination going*

Across the top in 1 inch, thick blue letters is EX ISLE

Under that in black is ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH

Under that in black is ComiCon: San Diego, July 17-20, 2003

Okay, that takes up the top half of the badge, which is 3 x 4 inches btw.

Now at the lower right hand corner will be some sort of island-y type graphic.  (It's cute).

Now!!!!!!!! The lower right hand corner is for YOU!  There's a fair amount of room.  Here's what I have as an example:

My breach/board name
on two lines

Room for a short saying depending on how big/small you want it
My real name

Basically you have 6 lines max to play with depending on how much you want to write and the size.

ANYWAY!!!!  Send me your wants for your badge and I'll play around with them.  And what colors you want for your name, lines, etc.   I wish I could put a custom picture on for you, but alas, I can't.  I don't know how.

Don't worry....I'll be bumping this thread often.  You won't miss this.   [;)]

Edited by Monique Peppermint, 22 February 2003 - 03:03 AM.

#4 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:47 PM

UPDATED: 4-17 - it seems a lot of us are staying until Monday, so yay!!!!

Thurs:17, Fri:18, Sat:19, Sun:20, Mon:21

Arrivals and Departures:

So far as I know......I will edit if necessary

Rov: Driving in, arriving Friday morning, leaving Monday now - room booked Friday night - Sunday night

Monique: Driving in, arriving Friday morning, leaving Monday now - room booked Friday night - Sunday night

JustMe: Hopefully driving in with Monique - staying Friday night - Sunday night, leaving Monday

Rhys: Planning on flying in Friday and leaving Monday, room booked Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night

Kathy, Lil, Zephyr: Driving down to SD and willl get in around 1 on Friday, leave on Monday AM

bob: Arriving Friday, leaving Monday - flying in.

silverwind: Arriving in SD at about 9:30 am on the 18th (Friday) and leaving at 4:30pm on Monday - hotel booked Friday - Sunday night

Godeskian:  Probably be arriving on the 11th (Fri) and leaving on the 21st - staying in youth hostel

Josh: Probably arriving early Friday and leaving Monday

eechick: Lives in SD

FlatlandDan: Probably arriving Wednesday and leaving Monday - looking for a place to stay

Edited by Monique Peppermint, 17 April 2003 - 09:55 PM.

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:49 PM

G1223 and Heropa are inbound by flight. I'll have data when I get the tickets.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#6 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 11:04 PM

I'm still a maybe.... maybe! :p ;)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#7 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 01:23 AM

G1223, on Feb 17 2003, 11:51 AM, said:

G1223 and Heropa are inbound by flight. I'll have data when I get the tickets.
G, so I should add Heropa to the list???

Anakam, yep, you're still on the list.  No maybe's about it until you know for sure.  Wait, huh? ;)

#8 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 01:24 AM

Yup, I'm still coming.  I'll figure out my whole Flight info thing soon. . . .Luckily the hotel has a complimentary airport shuttle service, so I don't have to depend on taxis or any of y'all to get me to the hotel! ;)

So. . . . . .Is it July yet?

No?

How about now? :blink:  :blush: :thumbs:

Edit:  Just to reiterate this. . .If anyone wants/needs to contact me about the room, either email me at silverwind126@yahoo.com or you can catch me on my yahoo or MSN messenger pretty much any day after 5 pm or in chat. :)  Or, like, PM me here on the board.  :cool:

Edited by silverwind, 18 February 2003 - 01:26 AM.

Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#9 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 01:27 AM

sw, ooh, that's good for people to know.....about the complimentary shuttle.....Hear that people flying in....

Complimentary shuttle from the airport to the Comfort Inn!!!

Edited by Monique, 18 February 2003 - 01:28 AM.

#10 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 02:30 AM

If you click on the link for the hotel it tells you stuff like that and how far stuff like. . .San Diego Zoo is from the hotel.  And they have pics of it! ;)
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#11 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:48 AM

i'm considering a July vacation this year, and i do have such fond memories of the comic con last time.

anyone mind if i crash the con?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#12 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 11:40 AM

Will you be bringing chocolate or other food? ;) ;)

:D
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#13 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 11:56 AM

Bring....food?

last time i went to the con, i was at the end of a vacation, desperately poor (staying in a youth hostel in SD) and i got into the con by working their for three hours a day

i didn't eat from the day i got to San Diego to the day i got back to LA, (four days in alL) so i could save money for the con

bringing food is a new concept  :p

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#14 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 12:00 PM

Monique, on Feb 17 2003, 07:49 PM, said:

Arrivals and Departures:
Allright,

you know what, i'll just bite the bullet and say i'll come

i'll probably be flying in on the thursday and back home on the monday

i may stay at the inn (heck, if everyone else is) or at the local Youth hostel (fond memories of that one as well  :D )

[edit] i've just checked the prices and can i just say GHAAA!, 89 bucks a night??!?!?!?!?! ii'll take the youth hostel at 20 bucks a night thank you very much. and only a ten minute walk from the con center (assuming it hasn't moved)
go http://63.70.211.212.....ego, Downtown for more information

[/edit]

Edited by Godeskian, 18 February 2003 - 12:06 PM.

Defy Gravity!

#15 Kelela

Kelela

treat your pets well

• Islander
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:11 PM

Lookie cak, sooo many people you have wanted to meet are gathering less than 2 hours from your home!!! And you've been invited!!!!!!!  It's FIVE months from now?!?! And someone is bringing Chocolate!!!!!   Oh be still, it's only Comic Con!!!!  

What is Comic Con?

Cheryl
If there's one thing I've learned .... it's to always have your flexibility in top working condition ;) -- Nikki Peppermint

Things to say when someone says "God Bless You" ----
sarcastic: Are you in charge of God's blessings? 'Cuz, I could use a few more...
humorous: Thanks - I need all the blessings I can get...
flirtatious: "He already did when I saw you"
chatty: "Did you know where the tradition of saying "God bless you" came from?"----
Handmaiden07

#16 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 12:58 AM

cak, on Feb 18 2003, 11:13 AM, said:

Lookie cak, sooo many people you have wanted to meet are gathering less than 2 hours from your home!!! And you've been invited!!!!!!!  It's FIVE months from now?!?! And someone is bringing Chocolate!!!!!   Oh be still, it's only Comic Con!!!! 

What is Comic Con?

Cheryl
http://www.comic-con.org

"Comic-Con International is a nonprofit educational organization dedicated to creating awareness of, and appreciation for, comics and related popular art forms, primarily through the presentation of conventions and events that celebrate the historic and ongoing contribution of comics to art and culture."

or in other words.........

"Comic-Con International returns to the San Diego Convention Center on July 17-20, 2003, with Preview Night scheduled for Wednesday, July 16. Coming off its biggest year ever, Comic-Con roars back with an exciting slate of guests and events that we’re already starting to work on! With over 63,000 attendees, professionals and exhibitors in 2002, and over 600 hours of programming, films, anime, gaming, and special events, Comic-Con is the one show you can’t afford to miss!"

Check it out! :D

Rommie :blush:
Posted Image

#17 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 04:59 AM

Monique, on Feb 17 2003, 11:35 AM, said:

First......JILL!!!....you're still wanted in the thread for any updates or news or hints!!  I did the link again....I took your job.....but come visit us soon!! :D
Monique, you seem to have it all covered for now.  :)

Phew, it seems like I just finished one convention and am now counting down to the next.  Oh, wait, I DID just finish one con and...

So many cons, so little time...

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#18 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 05:18 AM

{{{{{{Gode}}}}}}  Yay!!  It'll be fun to meet you...crash away!  I'll add you to the list shortly......think about a name tag now. ;)  And just a thought...sharing a room make sit cheaper.  If you can room with someone, you could stay at the hotel.  Check the list above. :)

I'm going to try to bring cookies.......and some snacks.....we should find plenty to eat cheaply........and drink. ;) :o

{{{{{cak}}}}}}} Oh do come!!!!  It'll be fun!  And as for ComiCon.....I'm glad Rommie gave you the info, I had no idea what it was really.....I'm just going for the people. ;)  Think of a name tag too!  Let me know if you need help.

{{{{{Jill}}}}}}} Ooh, we DO need you!  It'll be fun to meet you after all I've heard! ;)

Edited by Monique, 19 February 2003 - 05:24 AM.

#19 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 06:25 AM

Monique, on Feb 18 2003, 06:20 PM, said:

{{{{{Jill}}}}}}} It'll be fun to meet you after all I've heard! ;)
It's all lies, I tell you! :D

Even the good stuff?

ESPECIALLY the good stuff!  :D

See you in San Diego!

So many cons, so little time...

Jill

P.S. Hey!  When did I become a demigod?  I mean, I know my mother thinks I'm a little princess, but really now! :D
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#20 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 06:33 AM

writergroupie, on Feb 18 2003, 08:27 PM, said:

P.S. Hey!  When did I become a demigod?  I mean, I know my mother thinks I'm a little princess, but really now! :D
Something we've been meaning to do for a while. Z reminded me tonight. You deserve it. :).
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users