San Diego, Refioux

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
471 replies to this topic

#41 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 09:46 PM

Yay!!!!!!  Thank you, Jid!! :D I appreciate it a lot!  The more info we have the better....from all going!Posted Image

I'll get some info too from the links Malinda gave me, then compile all the info later in one thread.

#42 JustMe

JustMe

What a spectacle.

• Islander
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for the info, Jid.  (And I hope you'll be able to make it.)

I've heard that Horton Plaza is a destination unto itself!  Shopping, neato!  ;) :D

EDITED to add: I just discovered that HP has See's Candy and Starbucks! :)  Chocolate and coffee, a caffeinaholic's best friends. ;)

Edited by JustMe, 23 February 2003 - 09:54 PM.

#43 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:54 PM

^Then you should love the name of the cafe I found about 2 blocks from the Horton Plaza - Caffiend's! ;)

Oh yeah, and on slightly sillier notes...

The nearest hospital is 0.2 miles away, just in case ;)  (You never know what will happen when you mix people and margaritas in any quantity afterall.)

The nearest bookstore is fairly legit looking place, about 0.1 miles away.   The other two... well, lets not go there. ;)

I have a nice illustrated map, but due to the gigantorness of the link, I'm providing a forwarding link to a quick little page, where you can click on to the map. :)

Click here to begin your two click odyssey.

Note:  Red Star = The hotel
Red Pin = Spacebooth
Everythign else is labelled.

Oh yeah, and the link is huge so don't be surpised if it takes the map a little bit to load. :)  :yin-yang:
cervisiam tene rem specta

#44 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:30 PM

Wow, it sounds like we're right in the middle of everything!  Good choice of a hotel, whoever picked it! :)

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#45 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:31 PM

Rhys-- *jumps up and down and takes the credit with Monique ;)*
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#46 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:53 PM

First jumps up and down with Rov.... ;) We did good, huh? :D

THINGS TO DO IN SAN DIEGO: to be updated, so keep on posting ;)

* Hotel is at 719 Ash ;) Street, seems to be right in the middle of everything.  

*.85 miles from the hotel so we can walk most likely as Jill says the parking is very expensive at the con.

*Horton Plaza - 9 blocks away, contains Jamba Juice, Starbucks, and See's Candies so far.  I know several people so far who will be pleased. ;)
          - Caffeind's Cafe, 2 blocks from HP

*Peet's Coffee Store is 2 miles north of the hotel. (Do I sense a caffeine theme here?)

*Possible restaurants:
            Spacebooth, 0.1 miles south

*Hospital:  0.2 miles away, just in case  (you never know, like Jid said ;) )

*Bookstores:  One legit, 0.1 miles away (no details about the others? :o ;) )

*San Diego Zoo: (sw wanted to see the zoo...anyone else??)
Hours  Daily year-round 9am-4pm (grounds close at 5pm); summer 9am-9pm (grounds close at 10pm)    
Address  2920 Zoo Dr    
Location  Balboa Park      
Transportation  Bus: 7, 7A/B    
Phone  619/234-3153    
Web site  http://www.sandiegozoo.org    
Prices  Admission $19.50 adults, Deluxe package (admission, guided bus tour, round-trip Skyfari aerial tram) $32 adults, $19.75 children.
Credit Cards  DISC, MC, V

Edited by Monique Peppermint, 24 February 2003 - 12:33 AM.

#47 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:50 AM

A note on Restaurants as Monique mentioned them above.

If you're looking at the map - on the bottom right hand corner of the page the map is on, you can "search the yellow pages" for restaurants, books, etc.  

From here you can see any restaurant that's listed on the service mapquest uses, as well as its relative distance from the hotel.  That's where I found spacebooths, which I mentioned mostly for the name.  There's Mexican and Sushi bars galore within easy walking distance, as well as more generic sounding restaurants as well. :)

#48 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:04 AM

I don't know if it will show up on everyone's map, but I marked the Convention Center, too. ;)

Edited: Okay it did NOT take.  Jid, can you add the Convention Center to the map, please?? :)

Edited by Monique Peppermint, 24 February 2003 - 01:17 AM.

#49 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:26 AM

Send me the address and I'll do it :)

#50 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:30 AM

One of the reasons i'm flying in early is because i didn't get to see the San Diego zoo last time i was there, so SW, if you don't mind the company, i'd gladly go with you

also, there is this great little cafe at the top of one of the local malls (local to the youth hostel) which has this really weird set fo starcases, and does some of the finest cream soda's i've ever had.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#51 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:59 AM

OKay, there should be a link to the second map, with the Convention center on it.

Turns out Mapquest only lets you add up to 4 new locations to the same map.  :rolleyes:

Ah well, there you have it.

#52 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 02:38 AM

Jid, on Feb 23 2003, 03:01 PM, said:

OKay, there should be a link to the second map, with the Convention center on it.

Turns out Mapquest only lets you add up to 4 new locations to the same map.  :rolleyes:

Ah well, there you have it.
How dare they!! ;)  And ty so much Jid!!!  :)

#53 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 02:52 AM

One of the reasons i'm flying in early is because i didn't get to see the San Diego zoo last time i was there, so SW, if you don't mind the company, i'd gladly go with you

The more the merrier! :D  Zoos are always more when wandering around with friends. :D

also, there is this great little cafe at the top of one of the local malls (local to the youth hostel) which has this really weird set fo starcases, and does some of the finest cream soda's i've ever had.

Oooh, cream soda. . .I'll have to check that out. :D

So. . .is it July yet? :hehe:

(Pretty soon, I'm just going to add that to my sig to save typing. ;))
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#54 JustMe

JustMe

What a spectacle.

• Islander
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 03:56 AM

Monique, I hope you don't mind if I post the links I e-mailed you.   :unsure:    :look:

They're San Diego info pages from travel sites.  FYI: the hotel is in Downtown SD.

http://www.concierge.../entertainment/

http://www.frommers....tions/sandiego/

http://www.fodors.co...n=san_diego@136

Also FYI: I think that Spacebooth is an internet café.  :)

Edited by JustMe, 24 February 2003 - 03:59 AM.

#55 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:55 AM

Internet Café, you say?  

Hrmmmmm  :devil:    That could be fun ;)

#56 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 07:02 AM

*Jill peeks into the thread and shakes her head in amusement at people who think they'll have time to sightsee once the con starts...*  :D

*She also mentions once again, the difficulty/expense of getting food during con hours -- yes there are restaurants within walking distance of the convention center, but you'll miss an awful lot of stuff if you leave the con during the day and yes, they sell snack food for obscene prices at the con center itself if you want to waste money that could be better spent in the dealers room :D -- and once again Jill suggests planning ahead and bringing food with you for the day to munch on so you don't have to miss any panels, signings or shopping* ;)

So many panels and autograph sessions and shopping, so little time...

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#57 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 07:10 AM

So, what we need is a nearby Subway, or some other food that "carries well". :)

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#58 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 08:50 AM

Since I live in San Diego, you may add me to the list of people who will attend.  I'll probably stay at home, though, instead of hotel since I'm only 15 minutes away by trolley.

I will finally be able to meet more of you.   :D

Edited by eechick, 24 February 2003 - 08:53 AM.

#59 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 09:08 AM

JustMe, yay for posting the links.  It's a great idea!

Monique makes a mental note: SNACKS!!!!!  Then she thinks better and actually writes it down. ;)  Thanks for the reminder, Jill.  Say, you are gonna hang with us or something, aren't you??  Pleaaaaaaase!!!  :angel:    :shy:

{{{{{{{{{eechick}}}}}}}}}  YES!!!!!!!!  This is great!!! :D :D :D  You're on the list!!

#60 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 09:29 AM

Godeskian, on Feb 23 2003, 02:32 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that you're talking about Horton Plaza Mall.  It's a few blocks from the convention center.  The Gaslamp Quarter is right by the Convention Center, too.  There are many restaurants, clubs, stores there & it's the place to be in San Diego for the night life. The zoo is maybe a mile away & it's easy to get to.  Balboa Park has many museums.  The zoo is located in Balboa Park. I'm not sure when the baby panda will be leaving.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users