• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#21 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 08:26 AM

I agree with StarDust, those for whom Saddam might become a martyr, took him as one the day he first fled...

My hope is that he will get just what he deserves...what goes around comes around.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#22 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 08:32 AM

Fox News was more hesitant to say it's really him; when I got up and turned on the TV somewhere around 8:20 eastern-USA time, they were still saying it was just a possibility, then switched over to "confirmed" within a few minutes. Then I came here and saw that others had apparently considered it a fact for quite a while.

Whether his execution would make him a martyr must be decided by the Iraqis. The problem with incarcerating him for life is that he can be "rescued". Kill him and you know it's over.

He was found hiding in a little hole and in disguise; cowardice won't be good for his image even among his followers. I don't believe he's martyrable. But the Iraqis will decide that. That will not only end the Saddam Hussein issue but also be a good first move for a fresh new government trying to establish credibility.

Another thought about what to do with him... If he's to be killed, then have him embalmed with pig blood instead of preservatives and buried wrapped in pig skins. According to Islam, that will prevent ANY Muslim no matter who he was from getting to Heaven. And if he's to be kept alive, feed him only pork chops, veggies cooked in ham broth, and bread soaked in bacon grease.

#23 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 08:36 AM

Well, this is good news now he'll be put on trial and the Iraqi will get some justice. :yin-yang:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#24 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 08:40 AM

Delvo, on Dec 14 2003, 09:32 AM, said:

Another thought about what to do with him... If he's to be killed, then have him embalmed with pig blood instead of preservatives and buried wrapped in pig skins. According to Islam, that will prevent ANY Muslim no matter who he was from getting to Heaven. And if he's to be kept alive, feed him only pork chops, veggies cooked in ham broth, and bread soaked in bacon grease.
Now that would be just....PERFECT!
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#25 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 08:42 AM

Ilphi, on Dec 14 2003, 09:15 AM, said:

He will be tried in Iraq by an Iraqi council. There was talk of getting him at the Hauge like Molosovich, but this way the Iraqi people he so wronged will get the justice.
I think trying him in Iraq is a BIG mistake. There is just too much a chance of his followers rescuing him. A couple suicide bombers to take out the guards, while his followers free him.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#26 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 08:46 AM

good

if he's been caught that's the first step, now they need to avoid smegging up his trial.

no secret military courts

no closed doors

have the Iraqi's decide his fate, as they were the ones that suffered, rather than the americans, brits or anyone else.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#27 Lord Ravensburg

Lord Ravensburg

All your lightsabers are belong to me

• Islander
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 08:52 AM

There will be no execution.  It seems that the death penalty will not be allowed in the new Iraqi constitution, which is not surprising, considering how many people were unjustly killed because of it.  

Trying him in Iraq is absolutely the right thing to do.  To hold the trial anywhere else would lack legitimacy.  

The argument that his followers might attempt to free him sounds farfetched to me.  Saddam always said that he would fight to the death, yet by all accounts he gave up with barely a whimper.  I can't imagine that there would be a very long list of people willing to die for someone who is a proven coward, especially from a Muslim point of view.

#28 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 08:58 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Dec 14 2003, 07:42 AM, said:

I think trying him in Iraq is a BIG mistake. There is just too much a chance of his followers rescuing him.
Not really. That is a concern if they keep him long-term, but for the near future, he's not going to be kept in some regular old prison. He's going to be deep inside an American military base.

#29 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:10 AM

Here is the CNN story;
http://www.cnn.com/2...main/index.html

I would like him tried in Iraq, and then imprisoned in a US Army Maximum Security Stockade. US Army Maximum Security Stockades, are not like civilian Maximum Security Prisons, they are much more Spartan, and a civilian supermax is no fun place to be. It would be a mistake to executed him, the last thing you need is him becoming a Islamic martyr, with the fabled 70 virgins, of suicide bomber mythos.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#30 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:13 AM

Lord Ravensburg, on Dec 14 2003, 09:52 AM, said:

There will be no execution.  It seems that the death penalty will not be allowed in the new Iraqi constitution, which is not surprising, considering how many people were unjustly killed because of it. 

Trying him in Iraq is absolutely the right thing to do.  To hold the trial anywhere else would lack legitimacy. 
Letting this man live is just too big of a risk.

#31 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:14 AM

emsparks, on Dec 14 2003, 10:10 AM, said:

Here is the CNN story;
http://www.cnn.com/2...main/index.html

I would like him tried in Iraq, and then imprisoned in a US Army Maximum Security Stockade. US Army Maximum Security Stockades, are not like civilian Maximum Security Prisons, they are much more Spartan, and a civilian supermax is no fun place to be. It would be a mistake to executed him, the last thing you need is him becoming a Islamic martyr, with the fabled 70 virgins, of suicide bomber mythos.

He can still become a martyr if he wants...All he has to do is do a Gandhi number and go on a hunger strike...

#32 Fire_Storm20

Fire_Storm20

I love the smell of napalm in the moring...

• Islander
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:17 AM

It will probably be off to Nuremberg for Saddam to the International War-Crimes Tribunal.  
Oh yeah, Posted Image

#33 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:31 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Dec 14 2003, 02:14 PM, said:

... He can still become a martyr if he wants...All he has to do is do a Gandhi number and go on a hunger strike...
God I hope he tries to starve himself. He can try, but they’ll tie him down and shove a feeding tube down his gullet and force feed him. Said to say the Brits got real good at it, in northern Ireland. I’m told it can be a very painful procedure

Edited by emsparks, 14 December 2003 - 09:32 AM.

Think!

#34 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:32 AM

Fire_Storm20 said:
It will probably be off to Nuremberg for Saddam to the International War-Crimes Tribunal.

Nope, it's been confirmed since the start he would be tried in Iraq.
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#35 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:40 AM

What a thing to wake up to...

Wow.

Right now, I'm beyond words. I'm watching the Iraqi Governing Council discuss the issue on a split screen with the street party. Such a tremendous victory.

Wow.

Right now though? It's a banner day for the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division.
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#36 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:42 AM

This man's life has been too prissy to starve himself to death. He's never had to endure pain. As soon as his belly hurt, he'd eat again. Plus, making yourself a martyr only makes sense if your cause is something outside of and bigger than yourself. Hussein's only cause was always himself, which cause would be defeated by his own death. And on top of that, even if he had a larger cause to be a martyt for, suicide without killing anyone else in the process wouldn't cut it.

#37 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:44 AM

Well, I hope there's a nice hole in thee ground there, to make him feel at home. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#38 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:44 AM

It's also worth bearing in mind that despite constant media references inside his dictatorship to Allah Saddam is not really a religious man at all. With no real faith in God and that he will go to heaven, he probably doesn't have the will-power to starve himself to death.
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#39 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:50 AM

jon3831, on Dec 14 2003, 02:40 PM, said:

... Right now though? It's a banner day for the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division.
Assigned quick reaction force, or not, these people deserve a presidential unit citation.
Not one shot fired.....

Edited by emsparks, 14 December 2003 - 09:51 AM.

Think!

#40 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:51 AM

Lord Ravensburg, on Dec 14 2003, 09:52 AM, said:

There will be no execution.  It seems that the death penalty will not be allowed in the new Iraqi constitution, which is not surprising, considering how many people were unjustly killed because of it. 
If that's what the Iraq people decide on, then that's their choice. However, there IS a BIG difference between the death penalty and being executed by a dictator. That difference being the jury. One man ordering someone to be executed is different then a jury deciding it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, Saddam Hussein, Captured

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users