176 replies to this topic

#61 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:03 PM

Shalamar, on Dec 14 2003, 08:44 AM, said:

CNN picc... Saddam is said to be in good health but tired...

Too bad Walter Matthau is gone, he would have been perfect for the Mini that's bound to come from tonights work.

As far as where to keep him, bring all of the prisonors out of Cuba, and keep him there alone, seeing no one else, ever again.

Edited by Kosh, 14 December 2003 - 12:04 PM.

Can't Touch This!!

#62 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:04 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Dec 14 2003, 09:59 AM, said:

We couldn't of captured him in a better way to damage his reputation more.
That's true.

For all their barbarity, the sons of Saddam died on their own terms; as I recall, one even killed himself rather than be captured. Saddam couldn't even do that much....
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#63 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:05 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Dec 14 2003, 06:01 PM, said:

Here's a diagram courtesy of the Beeb. It makes things a bit clearer. It's a miracle he was found.
I'll second that miracle.

Does anyone know what made them suddenly decide to take a look at that pile of bricks and rubble?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#64 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:05 PM

Godeskian, on Dec 14 2003, 10:03 AM, said:

is there any word on when they are going to start trying him?
Well, Geragos won't be free for another few months....

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#65 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:06 PM

who or what is geragos?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#66 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:06 PM

yay for the capture....

The first words out of my roomie's mouth were: "What makes them so sure they got the right one?"

I have to agree.....what makes them so sure? That this isn't some stupid PR move by Bush?

I really hope it is true, that it is the right person, but at this point I'm not sure if it's ture (then again, I woke up three minutes ago....)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#67 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:07 PM

Godeskian, on Dec 14 2003, 10:06 AM, said:

who or what is geragos?
Sorry; he's an American lawyer who's a bit infamous for defending those who are generally perceived to be guilty in high-profile cases, and is rather good at what he does. His most recent client is Scott Peterson, a man accused of killing his wife and unborn child.

#68 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:09 PM

JadziaDax, on Dec 14 2003, 10:06 AM, said:

The first words out of my roomie's mouth were: "What makes them so sure they got the right one?"

I have to agree.....what makes them so sure? That this isn't some stupid PR move by Bush?
Despite media insistince to the contrary, Bush isn't stupid. Even if he is, his team isn't.

Let's keep in mind that Bush can't hold up a display turkey for five seconds without it becoming a second page story on the Washington Post. There's just no way that they could fake it. They wouldn't break with this unless they were sure; remember, Bush et al knew about the capture yesterday afternoon, but waited to be sure.

There's also talks of "identifying marks". I have a feeling that we don't want to know...

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 14 December 2003 - 12:10 PM.

#69 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:11 PM

According to a later briefing, one of the Baathists we captured during our raids told them under interrogation where Saddam was. But he's not getting the 25 million, because it wasn't a voluntary tip.

Geragos is high profile US criminal defense attorney Mark Geragos, who is currently defending accuse pregnant wife murderer Scott Peterson, as well as accused child molestor Michael Jackson.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#70 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:11 PM

thankies for the information

Defy Gravity!

#71 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:12 PM

Here's a graphical display of how the deck of cards is going:

http://www.patiopund...ves/002834.html

#72 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:18 PM

*sighs*....

I wrote another, rather long, post about this.

But I think I'll save it and post it when people are actually going to listen.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#73 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:25 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Dec 14 2003, 12:01 PM, said:

Here's a diagram courtesy of the Beeb. It makes things a bit clearer. It's a miracle he was found.
From what I heard, it was a fellow Iraqi who turned him in, so it's not that much of a miracle. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#74 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:28 PM

Fox News is reporting explosions in Baghdad; the blast happened moments after Bush finished his speech.

I see smoke. Developing....

#75 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:32 PM

Retaliation attack do you think ?

Defy Gravity!

#76 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:32 PM

^Too soon to tell.

Gut feeling, though? Probably Pro-Saddam types ticked off.
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#77 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:35 PM

It was a car bomb that exploded just as the president finished his speech. There also may have been a series of smaller explosions after the car bomb...

Gunfire in the background, but it could be celebratory or combat.

More as it comes in...

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 14 December 2003 - 12:35 PM.

#78 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:36 PM

Iraqis are playing music in the streets. Really BAD music....

EDIT: I see emergency vehicles outside the bomb site, but I'm still uncertain as to what the target was.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 14 December 2003 - 12:38 PM.

#79 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:42 PM

NY Times is reporting on celebrations:

AGHDAD, Iraq, Dec. 14 Gunfire resounded in the streets and Iraqis danced and waved flags in Baghdad's teeming neighborhoods in celebration of the capture of their former leader, Saddam Hussein, by American forces.

On Karada Street, a busy commercial strip in central Baghdad, Iraqi men pulled out AK-47's and pistols and squeezed off shots into the air, littering the streets with hundreds of bullet casings.

On one corner, an impromptu band formed, with men banging on drums while their friends fired guns in front of them. Cars raced down the street and men with AK-47's leaned out the windows, spraying the air with gunfire, while others fired from balconies.

Iraqis said they had not seen such celebrations in the streets since perhaps the end in the late 1980's of the disastrous Iran-Iraq War.

"It will be a new start for peace," said Said Jassim al-Yasseri, 34, the imam, or head cleric, of a Shiite mosque. "This is a new day for the country. Saddam should at least get the death penalty."

And remember, this is when they're HAPPY...

"Saddam has been captured, death to the Baathists," they chanted, referring to Mr. Hussein's much-feared political party. One man broke away from the march and ran up to a reporter, yelling, "This is the greatest day in Iraq."

And remember, this is when they're *happy*...

#80 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:44 PM

Supposedly it wasn't a bomb, some gas canisters exploded, but they aren't saying how it happened yet. :unsure:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, Saddam Hussein, Captured

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users