Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

What Does 2 + 2 Equal?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: What does 2 + 2 equal (56 member(s) have cast votes)

What does 2 + 2 equal

1. 4 (27 votes [54.00%])

Percentage of vote: 54.00%

2. 2 (4 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

3. 3.999999999999 (16 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

4. 1.5 (3 votes [6.00%])

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gina

Gina

Crazy Theory Bender

• Islander
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 01:59 AM

What do ya think? This was inspried by Hambil's 2:22AM thought about what 2 + 2 equals. I personally think it equals 2.
Shiney Happy Pod Person #90

Lets see if I can get this....

Harperchondriac, Bekaneer, Argosy, No. 2 Assassin, Lost faction person, and Trancer, I do beleive

#2 Scatha Arzetyn

Scatha Arzetyn

Argosy Liaison to Helm's Deep

• Islander
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 02:51 AM

Meep. Does it equal 2? Or does it equal 3.999999?

I'm gonna have to think on this awhile beforre I vote.  :blink:

Anja II
Love is a happy little Elf, doing a merry little jig.
Who then turns on you with a miniature machine gun. --Nilulmaiel

British SitComs are educational! Learn to swear like an Englishman!

got sparky?

#3 Gvambat

Gvambat
  • Islander
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 03:05 AM

2+2=5. For sufficiently large values of 2, sufficiently small values of 5, or sufficiently erratic values of =.
Electrons behave like waves on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; like particles on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and like nothing at all on Sundays.

#4 Scatha Arzetyn

Scatha Arzetyn

Argosy Liaison to Helm's Deep

• Islander
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 03:15 AM

^Oops. Looks like an option was forgotten.............

I just need to decide whether to base my answer on the equation 2+2 using 2's rounded from 1.5, or whether to base it on an equation with whole 2's.  :blink:

Anja II
Love is a happy little Elf, doing a merry little jig.
Who then turns on you with a miniature machine gun. --Nilulmaiel

British SitComs are educational! Learn to swear like an Englishman!

got sparky?

#5 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 09:36 AM

LOL Gvambat :D

But it can equal 2 for extremely small values of 2 :p

Edited: Actully it requires small values of 2 on the left and a large 2 on the right

Edited by Enmar, 18 February 2003 - 09:39 AM.

Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#6 Gina

Gina

Crazy Theory Bender

• Islander
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 06:43 PM

See, Enmar think that 2 is right, but for different reasons than what I think. Sheesh, this may take a while. Sparky anyone?

~~~Gina

Harperchondriac, Bekaneer, Argosy, No. 2 Assassin, Lost faction person, and Trancer, I do beleive

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:12 AM

Scatha Arzetyn, on Feb 17 2003, 03:53 PM, said:

Meep. Does it equal 2? Or does it equal 3.999999?

I'm gonna have to think on this awhile beforre I vote.† :blink:

Anja II
2 + 2 = 4

Ask any computer.  :D

When you add 2.25 +1.70, the computer may show the rounded figure as four at your behest, but (trust me!) to itself it's mumbling 3.95  and you'll never convince it otherwise.    :lol:  :lol: And therein lies the pit for the unwary spreadsheet user, who just doesn't GET that the computer knows it's 3.95.   ;)

Edited by Rhea, 19 February 2003 - 02:14 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:52 AM

To borrow from an old joke I heard:

2 + 2 ?

What would you like it to be?
cervisiam tene rem specta

#9 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:17 PM

Depends on the base you're in.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#10 Lina

Lina

This too shall pass

• Islander
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:30 PM

I wish there was "I was never good at Math" option :devil:

Lina

#11 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 10:32 PM

In the strict platonic sense it's gotta be 4, but Gvambat and Enmar's answers are more fun.  :upside:  :p

:ninja:
Per aspera ad astra

#12 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 07:23 PM

I just noticed Ö trying to answer this with a pollÖ kind of drives us into a loop, doesnít it? :wink:

Letís assume, for the sake of the argument, that Lina and Anja think itís 5. Does that necessarily mean that two people think itís 5 ? Of course not. Add to them, for example, Gvambat and myselfÖ :sly:

Will that translate into 4 people supporting this answer? Back to the original question :wacko:
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#13 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 08:11 PM

Well, since 1 really equals 0.999999999999... and if you multiply that by 4 you get 3.999999999999...

However, if you are talking integers then 2 + 2 = 4. ;)

Edited by The Sisko, 22 February 2003 - 08:12 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#14 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 07:55 AM

11....oh, wait, you're not using base 3? :upside:
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#15 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 09:45 AM

:wacko:  :suspect:  :crazy:  :blink:  :wow:  :unsure:  :sleeping:  :wideeyed:

Okay, I'm stumped..........what? :blush:

Rommie :whatsthat:
Posted Image

#16 Lina

Lina

This too shall pass

• Islander
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 03:42 PM

Enmar, on Feb 22 2003, 07:25 PM, said:

Letís assume, for the sake of the argument, that Lina and Anja think itís 5. Does that necessarily mean that two people think itís 5 ? Of course not. Add to them, for example, Gvambat and myselfÖ :sly:

Will that translate into 4 people supporting this answer?
LOL! That depends on who is supporting the answer and what answer are they supporting. In the case you describe, for you, Gvambat, Anja and myself it will translate into 5 people supporting the answer that 2+2=5 :lol::lol::lol:

Lina

#17 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:02 PM

RommieSG, on Feb 23 2003, 01:47 AM, said:

Okay, I'm stumped..........what?
Assuming you're referring to UoR11's comment, four is written in base three as 11.  In base X, "11" represents one times X plus one times one.  In base ten that's eleven, and in base three it's four.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#18 Kahoutek

Kahoutek

Space Otter

• Islander
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:59 AM

I may be sorry (or perhaps some of you will be), but this woke up the mathematician/math teacher in me.

"2 + 2"

Well, what "2" are we using here?  If it is "2 board members" + "2 board members", then there is not much question about the answer.  (Assuming that the 2 board members in each pair are unique; if both pairs involved Rov, for example, then 2 + 2 = 3.)

Hey, maybe we are talking about the pounds of chocolate that I bought yesterday.   In that case, "2 + 2 = bad health" and "2 + 2 = 'bout 4".  Of course, if you had actually asked me, I would have said "2.05 + 1.87" since that is the most accurate figure I can get from the weighing devices at the store.  

On the other hand, maybe some cynic out there (Anakam, are you listening?) was really talking about "2 chat rooms" and "2 message boards".  In this case, "2 + 2" can not be simplified very easily.  I guess we could say "2 chat rooms + 2 message boards = more than I can handle", but that  is not mathematics -- it's real life.

Most math teachers (and books) are not careful enough in saying what kind of "2" is being used ... so most people end up thinking that all 2's are equal -- it just ain't so.

Anyway, this is "Fun with Math"!!!!  :yin-yang:  :cool:
Kahoutek

[edited because the Space Otter forget to include his name in the post!!   :eek: ]

Edited by Kahoutek, 24 February 2003 - 05:00 AM.

#19 Gina

Gina

Crazy Theory Bender

• Islander
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:20 AM

LOL!! Mabey Anakam and Rov both are listening. If so, I would turn tail and run. :) :p

#20 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 06:04 AM

Kahoutek--who, me? ;) ;)

*Looks innocent*

Me, cynical?

Want a piece of fudge?  I don't think it's lazy... err, wait.  Work and food crossover.  :wacko: :suspect: :hehe:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users