7 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 01:05 PM

http://sfgate.com/cg...MNGEA3O52I1.DTL

A Texas housewife is in big trouble with the law for selling a vibrator to a pair of undercover cops, and the Brisbane vibrator company she works for says Texas is an "antiquated place'' with more than its share of "prudes.''

Joanne Webb, a former fifth-grade teacher and mother of three, was in a county court in Cleburne, Texas, on Monday to answer obscenity charges for selling the vibrator to undercover narcotics officers posing as a dysfunctional married couple in search of a sex aid.

Gahhhhhhhh. Now, I could understand if it was something about sales tax or a merchant's license or somesuch. It would still be a stupid waste of manpower, but it would be expliciable.

But 'obscenity'?

And 'undercover narcotics officers'? Seriously? What, precisely, would make a vibrator an addictive drug that would reduce pain, alter moods, and... actually don't answer that last question.

Ye gods.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 02:24 PM

Well the buzz is she should get off. :rolleyes:
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 02:36 PM

Well, about the time I think I've seen it all, read it all ... I discover I haven't. Good grief.

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 02:46 PM

Leave it to Texas to use narcotics agents to set up sting operations on vibrator selling mothers.  :p
Posted Image

#5 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 03:51 PM

[sarcam] You know what's wrong with America today?  Corruption of the masses!

You know what's corrupting those masses?   Sex!  Hot, Enjoyable, "Experimental" sex.  These people are using *toys* in bed.  

We all know sex is meant for procreation in a union of missionary style, married affection.[/sarcasm]

Hooray for trying to legislate America's bedrooms? :p

This is ridiculous.  How is it any business of the state how people have sex?

I sincerely hope she gets off... I mean gets her charges dropped... I mean... is exonerated.  (Third time's the charm)

Edited by Jid, 16 December 2003 - 03:51 PM.

cervisiam tene rem specta

#6 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 03:58 PM

Hides face in shame at the antics of some of Texas law enforment officers, county DA's and over the top morality enforcement...

but sad to say there are counties in Texas ( especially in that area of my fair state ) that apparently have nothing better to do than idioticy like this...and yes they are remarklably serious about such stuff up there...
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 05:55 PM

This *is* Texas, after all. :p I was stunned to learn on SS that there's a transvestite who hangs out in downtown Austin. When I lived in Austin if they had transvestites they surely weren't allowed out on the streets!  ;)
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:12 PM

G1223, on Dec 16 2003, 12:24 PM, said:

Well the buzz is she should get off. :rolleyes:
Groan.  :D

Seriously, this is one of those cases, isn't it?  

Sane people from the state or anywhere near it are busy pretending they're just in town on business and that it ain't their fault.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Texas, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users