17 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 09:56 AM

http://story.news.ya...freedom_tower_5

A new design for the Freedom Tower at the World Trade Center site gracefully slopes into a spire rising 1,776 feet, echoing the Statue of Liberty, images released Friday show.

The new plan — which comes after months of contentious negotiations between designers Daniel Libeskind and David Childs — retains many elements of Libeskind's original plan but appears to smooth out its most angular elements.

"We owe it to the heroes who died on Sept. 11 and we owe it as an expression of our confidence in the future to have this soaring tribute to the memory of the heroes we lost and to freedom," Gov. George Pataki said as he displayed renderings on NBC's "Today" show. Further details of the design were to be discussed at a news conference.

"This represents a melding of two very, very talented creative geniuses," Pataki said.

The two architects reached a compromise design after months of feuding over the size and shape of the tower that will rise at the World Trade Center site.

Negotiations between Libeskind and Childs were contentious, but the two met a deadline set by Pataki.

Childs said they had "a spectacular time working together."

"Creative minds have different thoughts about how you do things," he said. "I wouldn't want to work with somebody who would just say yes."

The plan follows the original, asymmetrical structure proposed by Libeskind, who was originally tapped as the architect to remake ground zero by the Lower Manhattan Development Corp., the agency charged with redevelopment.

But Childs, who was appointed by leaseholder Larry Silverstein, succeeded in including a lattice structure filled with energy-generating windmills at the top of the building. Childs likened the suspension elements of the new design to the Brooklyn Bridge, with the bottom of the building "torqued or twisted."

The tower would include 70 stories of office space and a 276-foot spire and would be topped by broadcast antennas. The tapered building evokes the Statue of Liberty across the harbor, as Libeskind envisioned.

:cool:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 10:04 AM

The tower itself is a truly impressive design.  That said it does steal the attention from the Empire State Building and Lady Liberty.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#3 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 10:08 AM

I quite liked the look of the artist impression... should be truley impressive at nightime.
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#4 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 12:28 PM

The 'echoing' of Lady Liberty is very apparent and very appropriate. I like it immensely.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#5 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 01:39 PM

<PESSIMISM>
Just looks like a bigger target to me.

Pessimism, sure.  But what would you have said if I had said the same thing about the WTC in 1991?  Heh.  :eh:
</PESSIMISM>

That said, I know it's not the same thing to blow up a monument as it is to take out a financial center and symbol of economic might.  Still, the guy who is leasing the site must not be overly happy about it.  I remember that he was all for simply building some much lower  and much less conspicuous buildings on the site so that he could sell space and not have to worry about his offices being being blown up by a suicide bomber yet again.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#6 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:18 PM

I want to like it, but find that I agree with Uncle Sid: it's an even taller target than the WTC towers... :eh:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:24 PM

So now we bury our heads in the sand, afraid to build a proper monument for fear that it's too prominent a target?

[Nox] NUTS TO THAT!!!! [/Nox]

Lil
Posted Image

#8 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:27 PM

I admit, I don't like it either.

It should be bigger. Much bigger. Sadly, engineering realities probably prevent that. And it should have a name that somehow uses the word "defiant" or something similar. :cool:.

Ah well.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#9 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:27 PM

True it's bigger, but the services that the WTC provided are still needed, as is the revenue the buildings brought in. :eh:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#10 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:35 PM

Well, if Lil's going to quote me, I have to take a step over my own head.... ;)

"What constitutes the bulwark of our own liberty and independence? It is not our frowning battlements, our bristling sea coasts, the guns of our war steamers, or the strength of our gallant and disciplined army. These are not our reliance against a resumption of tyranny in our fair land. All of them may be turned against our liberties, without making us stronger or weaker for the struggle. Our reliance is in the love of liberty which God has planted in our bosoms. Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as the heritage of all men, in all lands, every where. Destroy this spirit, and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors."

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:40 PM

And if we're going to allow the size of out monuments to be dictated by fear then I submit Sir 'Hawk, that this IS a manifestation of destruction of the spirit.
Posted Image

#12 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:42 PM

BTW, I agree with Rov.  It does need to be much, much bigger.  I just am pointing out that size is basically what got the original cut down.  If we're going to build this, and we should, I certainly hope that we are prepared to rebuild it as many times as necessary to prove that we aren't going to take that kind of crap from anyone.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#13 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:47 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Dec 19 2003, 11:40 PM, said:

And if we're going to allow the size of out monuments to be dictated by fear then I submit Sir 'Hawk, that this IS a manifestation of destruction of the spirit.
My point precisely, Lincoln quote notwithstanding. :)

The only more perfect height for the Freedom Tower than 1776 feet, would be 2001.

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  

#14 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:48 PM

Damn straight!!!!  :D
Posted Image

#15 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 12:00 AM

Ah, hell with it, 2001 would indeed be even better. :wideeyed: Excuse me all to pieces for agreeing with the pessimism that it makes an even taller and better target; I think it's rather obvious that it would be just that. But yeah, I like the defiance of rebuilding and doing it even taller, so poo. ;) And I know that the services provided by the original WTC are still needed, so poo again. ;) I must learn not to post pessimism...

I certainly hope that we are prepared to rebuild it as many times as necessary to prove that we aren't going to take that kind of crap from anyone.

Just like the Babylon stations in B5: 4 were destroyed, but the 5th stayed for a long time... ;) (I just wonder how realistic that is, though. I'm sure the money would eventually run out if the buildings *kept* getting destroyed...)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#16 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 12:04 AM

^ In fairness to the Babylon project, only the fourth was actually completed and operational before it was, uh.... destroyed. So they never really did spend *all* the money until Babylon 4. Babylon 5, of course, was another story.

#17 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 12:21 AM

Norville, on Dec 19 2003, 09:00 PM, said:

Excuse me all to pieces for agreeing with the pessimism that it makes an even taller and better target; I think it's rather obvious that it would be just that. But yeah, I like the defiance of rebuilding and doing it even taller, so poo. ;)
[Beka]  That's the spirit!  [/Beka]

Posted Image

#18 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 01:42 AM

I think 2001 ft would be just perfect.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New York, NYC, Freedom Towers, Design, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users