• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 02:09 PM

BAM, Iran (Reuters) - A devastating earthquake struck the ancient Silk Road city of Bam in southeastern Iran on Friday, killing more than 5,000 people and injuring thousands of others, Iranian news agency IRNA said.

Initial estimates suggested 5,000-6,000 people died in the earthquake which measured 6.3 on the Richter scale, the official IRNA news agency quoted a senior official as saying

Iranian television said about 70 per cent of the buildings in the historic city, a popular tourist destination some 1,000 km (600 miles) southeast of the capital, Tehran, had collapsed and many people were feared trapped under the rubble.

Anchient silk road city of Bam

Edited by Shalamar, 26 December 2003 - 02:11 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#2 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 02:12 PM

Numbers (according to the BBC) are being adjusted into the range of 15,000.... "more later" according to the website.

What a sad day for Iran.

#3 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 02:14 PM

Indeed, the Middle East is really getting hit hard on many levels.

My heart goes out to them.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#4 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 02:41 PM

They are also saying that the city's two hospitals collapsed, putting medical efforts in a very bad way.

My heart and thoughts are with them.
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 02:58 PM

15,000 dead :(

jeezus, that just blows my mind.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#6 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 03:18 PM

:(
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#7 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,389 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 04:15 PM

Besides the human tragedy, it's such an ancient city with many beautiful buildings from the ancient world now just so much dust.

I hope we are willing to send in our rescue and medical people, despite strained political relationships. It's always sobering to realize that whatever murderous catastrophes humans can concoct, nature can dwarf them in a second.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#8 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 04:56 PM

Cardi, according to all the reports I have heard, many countries -includeing the US, are offering to send aid, sniffer dogs etc.

Posted Image

#9 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 07:02 PM

Numbers are being revised upwards:

The pre-dawn earthquake on Friday killed more than 20,000 people and injured some 50,000, government officials said. It measured 6.3 on the Richter scale and killed while people slept.

Oh, and Cardie, I wouldn't worry:

Russia, Germany, Poland, France, Italy, the United States, Britain, Turkey and others heeded the call and pledged doctors, medical supplies and rescuers with sniffer dogs and special equipment to locate survivors.

The United States, Iran's arch-foe for almost 25 years, was among the first to offer help.

"We stand ready to help the people of Iran," said President Bush

EDIT: Because to spell right makes our english well.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 26 December 2003 - 07:18 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#10 Lord Ravensburg

Lord Ravensburg

All your lightsabers are belong to me

• Islander
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 01:10 AM

Well, Iran had a similar earthquake in 1990 that killed 50,000 people.  

As terrible as this tragedy is, I really hope that the U.S. and Iran can use it as an opportunity to normalize relations.

#11 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 01:39 AM

Oh man..... :( :( :(
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#12 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 10:53 AM

Fatalaties may be as high as 40,000

http://apnews.myway..../D7VMO0180.html

The scope of the tragedy was so vast that a reliable death toll was impossible to pin down so soon after the magnitude 6.5 quake hit Bam early Friday. The Interior Ministry's early estimate on Saturday was 20,000 dead, while two leading rescue officials said the toll could eventually double.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,420 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 12:37 PM

Cardie, on Dec 26 2003, 05:15 PM, said:

I hope we are willing to send in our rescue and medical people, despite strained political relationships. It's always sobering to realize that whatever murderous catastrophes humans can concoct, nature can dwarf them in a second.

Cardie
I, for one, hope that the US DOESN'T send aide. Where was Iran after 9-11? Did they help the US? Hell no!

So, as harsh and cruel as it sounds, if they don't do for us...why should the US do for them? Especially when Iran is NOT an ally of the US. I know if I was a doctor and President Bush said: "Go to Iran and help them." My response would probably be along the lines of: "Go to hell."
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#14 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 01:44 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Dec 27 2003, 10:37 AM, said:

So, as harsh and cruel as it sounds, if they don't do for us...why should the US do for them? Especially when Iran is NOT an ally of the US. I know if I was a doctor and President Bush said: "Go to Iran and help them." My response would probably be along the lines of: "Go to hell."
Lending aid in this case won't help the government of Iran, and the people of Iran have enough problems without us contributing to them.

#15 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,389 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 02:55 PM

What Rov said.  People are trapped and dying, and we might be able to save some of them because we possess technology and medical expertise they lack.  That makes it the right thing to do. We can hardly maintain our stance as a country with humane values if we fail to exercise them.  To argue that nation X behaved in a certain way that runs counter to our values and then to recommend that we in turn behave like nation X is to cast aside our values in favor of theirs. Besides, imo the best way to achieve peace and understanding in the world is to reach out to our ideological foes, not rattle sabres at them, although this latter argument may not hold much weight with someone who calls himself Lord of the Sword.  ;)

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#16 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 05:16 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Dec 27 2003, 05:37 PM, said:

Cardie, on Dec 26 2003, 05:15 PM, said:

Cardie
I, for one, hope that the US DOESN'T send aide. Where was Iran after 9-11? Did they help the US? Hell no!

The very thought that someone could even utter an opinion like this is absolutely sickening. Ohh, so just because they didn't lend aid to the US, you shouldn't lend aid to them.....that's the most selfish and disgusting thing I've ever heard.

Lord of the Sword, the US is the world's last super power, an extremely rich and advanced nation. 9/11, as awful as it was is NOWHERE near the scale of this disaster. The local government in Iran is simply not capable of handling this disaster as well as the US authorities handled the attacks on 9/11.

Where's the morals of saying that just because the country is a political enemy it shouldn't be worthy of aid in a major humanitarian crisis.

Thank God the US government doesn't share your opinions.

Hail All
Aurelius
"If I had all the answers, I'd run for God"
Cpl. Max Klinger, M*A*S*H

#17 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,420 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 05:16 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Dec 27 2003, 02:44 PM, said:

Lending aid in this case won't help the government of Iran, and the people of Iran have enough problems without us contributing to them.
Actually, it does. If you help the people of a country, a unavoidable byproduct of that is that it DOES help the country also.

Again...Where was Iran after 9-11? Hell, where was Iran after the mudslides in CA?

What has Iran done for us lately?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#18 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,420 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 05:19 PM

Cardie, on Dec 27 2003, 03:55 PM, said:

To argue that nation X behaved in a certain way that runs counter to our values and then to recommend that we in turn behave like nation X is to cast aside our values in favor of theirs.
LMAO! I'm so sick of that lame excuse, it's not even funny. To use your example, only on a smaller scale, If Person X walks up and punches you in the face...are you going to lower yourself to Person X's position and punch him back? Or are you just going to turn the other cheek and get punched again?

#19 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 05:22 PM

I'd probably duck.

:sly:
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#20 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,420 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 05:25 PM

Aurelius, on Dec 27 2003, 06:16 PM, said:

The local government in Iran is simply not capable of handling this disaster as well as the US authorities handled the attacks on 9/11.

Where's the morals of saying that just because the country is a political enemy it shouldn't be worthy of aid in a major humanitarian crisis.

Thank God the US government doesn't share your opinions.

Hail All
Aurelius
This isn't the first time we've disagreed, Aurelius. And I doubt it'll be the last.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Middle East tired of the USA sticking it's nose into their affairs? Oh, but it's OK for us to do so IF AND ONLY IF it benefits that country. They don't want us sticking our nose in their affairs...let them deal with it on their own.

Although, unfortunately, Bush has pretty much already said the US will help. So the debate of whether we should aid our enemy is a moot point.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Iran, Earthquake, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users