• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:38 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Dec 31 2003, 01:44 PM, said:

GO ZACK!!!!!
I second that!

GO ZACK!

Nailed my feelings exactly.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#103 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 07:02 PM

:welldone: Zack
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#104 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 07:26 PM

And of course we could be Jimmy Cater over this and wonder what the pool of blood is doing on the floor and why are bleeding from the throat once again with the world giggling or saying "See I told you they would drop their guard once agin.

I am not opposed to helping folks but if we can use this as a chance to leverage out the religious government "That these people are oppossed to" then so much the better.

I guess I am too much of a mercanary about helping folks for our own reasons  But then aagin I supported sending food and medicine to Africa to fight AIDS with no strings (Maybe becasue no one down there screams "Death to America")

Or supporting taking care of injured Illegal aliens as long as they are returned back home after their recovery.

#105 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 08:41 PM

G1223, on Dec 31 2003, 07:26 PM, said:

But then aagin I supported sending food and medicine to Africa to fight AIDS with no strings (Maybe becasue no one down there screams "Death to America")

Or supporting taking care of injured Illegal aliens as long as they are returned back home after their recovery.
EXACTLY! I would have no problems sending food and medicine to Africa, namely because we don't here "Death to America". Africa, as far as I know, never held any of our people hostage! They don't refer to us as "The Great Satan".

The bottom line is that Iran has done this. And now we're suppose to go out of our way to help them?

LotS-- You do know that we're helping Iran, right. We're not at war with Iran, we're at war with Iraq.

Yes, I realize that. But neither is Iran are friend. Why help our enemy?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#106 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 08:55 PM

Why help any one?

Because it is the right thing to do. Because each life matters, becaue we are all inhabitants of this tiny speck of blue, green and brown that we call Earth.

Because if we don't help each other, who will.

And LotS, the children of today become the governments of tomorrow.  Let them remember us -  that we helped -  that we came to their aid.

and if you are christian just remember "what you do for the least, is as if you have done for me"

if you are pagan..."What you do comes back to you seven times over"
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#107 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 09:06 PM

Shal that works when there is a free system. Think back to China of the Cultural Revolution they hated us deeply becasue they were taught to hate us.  That is what is happening with Iran today. Till the children go to college or get to see "forbiben" materials they otherwise never see they are raised that we are the Great Satan.  
Remember a few years back we had schools in Sudia Arbia that was teaching the same thing openly.(What money do you want to put on that the lessons continue just hidden becasue it also blames the royal family for America's presence)

I am willing to help them if we can do in a way that knocks down the old men who preach hatred just as we have folks here watching to prevnet the samething happening here.

Till we can get Iran opened up or to open up on their own. (They do not need to be our 'little buddy') I am less than trusting in the government in that country.

You cannot overcome indoctrunation with softhearted kindness that will get you gutted in a New York second.

#108 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 09:18 PM

G, even more reason to do what we are doing.  The kids we help will have first hand knowledge that we are not the evil they are taught we are.  As I said earlier in this thread, by their cultural codes, if someone helps them it is a bond (not quite a debt, that is the wrong word), when someone saves their life it is a stronger bond.  Maybe like becoming a blood brother in this culture.  They will not quickly forget this gesture, and believe me if we turned our backs on them they would not forget that either, if would make them more of an enemy and reaffirm all the proprogada that the government tells them about us.

I for one am very glad we did this, on many levels.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#109 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 09:21 PM

Just as long as the PTB cannot shut down the interaction but best to be on guard for trouble.

#110 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 09:26 PM

^ Always.

#111 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 09:29 PM

Lest we forget, Egypt, the Sudan, Somalia and oh yeah...Libya is in Africa too.  Osama bin Laden hid out in Africa for awhile.  The Mideast might have the biggest loudmouths, but there's people in Africa, even sub-Saharan Africa that are all too happy to chant Death to America.  I hope we aren't forgetting the recent bombing of an American Embassy in Africa?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#112 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 09:32 PM

No I did not but I always think of the nail that stands out the furthest. I wonder what happens to it? :)
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#113 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:10 PM

Shalamar, on Dec 31 2003, 08:55 PM, said:

if you are pagan..."What you do comes back to you seven times over"
I thought it was times three...Anyway. You're right, but, what about what you don't do?

If you don't do anything, then nothing would come back, now would it?

As for the Christian thing, same thing. If you haven't done anything...He couldn't hold you to account, now could He?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#114 Gaiate

Gaiate

Spirit Blade

• Islander
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:17 PM

^

Let's run with that idea.

Suppose someone is shot right in front of you.  You had nothing to do with it, but there's no one else who can help.  With your line of thinking, you could just walk away and let them die, and you think God would be okay with that?

--Te
"This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis--vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V." -- V, making an first impression

"Dude . . . that was cool." -- My first impression of V

#115 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:21 PM

Gaiate, on Dec 31 2003, 10:17 PM, said:

^

Suppose someone is shot right in front of you.  You had nothing to do with it, but there's no one else who can help.  With your line of thinking, you could just walk away and let them die, and you think God would be okay with that?

--Te
OK, going with your example.

The answer is "No". If someone I didn't know was shot, and needed help, I would do what I could.

However, if the person shot was an enemy of mine, I would have no problem just walking on by as if nothing happened.

#116 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:23 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Dec 31 2003, 09:10 PM, said:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmond Burke

Nuff Said!

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#117 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:27 PM

Corwin, on Dec 31 2003, 10:23 PM, said:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmond Burke

Nuff Said!

Corwin
Good point.

#118 Gaiate

Gaiate

Spirit Blade

• Islander
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:41 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Dec 31 2003, 10:21 PM, said:

Gaiate, on Dec 31 2003, 10:17 PM, said:

^

Suppose someone is shot right in front of you.  You had nothing to do with it, but there's no one else who can help.  With your line of thinking, you could just walk away and let them die, and you think God would be okay with that?

--Te
OK, going with your example.

The answer is "No". If someone I didn't know was shot, and needed help, I would do what I could.

However, if the person shot was an enemy of mine, I would have no problem just walking on by as if nothing happened.

So you think every citizen of Iran is our enemy?  If not, the same rule would apply.

--Te
"This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis--vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V." -- V, making an first impression

"Dude . . . that was cool." -- My first impression of V

#119 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:03 PM

Speaking for me enemy or not I would do the basic parts of preventing being charge with depraved indifference which can be harsh.

If it was an enemy after that i would consider walking on. I did what would keep me out of jail.

#120 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:09 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Dec 31 2003, 07:10 PM, said:

Nope, you still made a choice, a choice to walk away. So, in esoteric thinking your choice to not help an innocent (at least the very young children in Iran are) would come back to you many fold.

So say you are the person walking away from a situation where you could easily save someone's life (say the innocent child of someone you dispise) It could be in the future when your house is burning down, and everyone and everything you love is inside (including you), some neighbor who percieves you to be an enemy because you voted for someone he didn't could save you, and decides to save another neighbor's house first thus leaving your fate to the wind.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Iran, Earthquake, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users