• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 01:45 PM

Hawk, I never meant One World as some sort of mass produced, all oatmeal blandness, with big brother looking over your shoulder and mirco manageing your life.  I celebrate diversity, the country of which I am a citizen is the most diverse country, most open country on the whole planet.

How ever I am really sick and tired of all these people who keep war, and hatred and terrorism alive because "Your great great grandaddy killed my great geat grand aunt" - if we do not, as a race, evolve beyond the mentality of "we must right the wrongs of the past now and for thirty generations into the future, by violence and hate and horror...  We will go no where.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#22 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,889 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 06:26 PM

Godeskian, on Feb 21 2003, 05:38 AM, said:

actually, i was very surprised by how much light there was coming from inner Africa. I assumed for some reason that most of the really big cities would be along the coast
Well, the interior of Africa is hardly all jungle and desert.  The lights I see correspond to formations like the Nile Valley, the Niger Basin, Lake Victoria Nyanza, the Zaire and Zambezi Rivers, and various small rivers, railways and such in the northwest.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#23 Woodmansee

Woodmansee
  • Demigod
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 11:22 PM

I really like this picture too. I have a poster of it. I'd like to make a couple of clarifications for those who may be confused.

- This is a composite of a lot of pictures, each with a time lapse. The dead give away is there are no clouds and the entire Earth can't all be night.

- The picture was not taken by the space station or any other manned craft. The altitude it was taken is too high for a manned vehicle with out current technology. It was taken by a DMSP satellite (Defense Meteorological Satellite Program) see http://heasarc.gsfc....sions/dmsp.html

Also, while some boarders cannot be seen others can. For example you can clearly see the boarder between North and South Korea, just look at where the lights stop.

Paul

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users