540 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 09:37 PM

(IC)

The loud chatter of the crowd was quickly interrupted as the doors of the smokey Inn parted and a shadowy figure stepped through them.   As they swang shut, everyone resumed their business and he walked straight across to the bar in back of the room.  

"Oh....it's you," the bartender said with a deep sigh. "What'll it be today?"

The patron leaned against the bar towards the old bartender.  "You sound disappointed to see me?  And here all these years I was under the impression we are long time friends.  That's a commodity that in my business, is very hard to find these days."

The old man dropped his shoulders and poured the man some rum.  It was what he usually ordered anyway, and he slid the glass over to him.  "Oh, it isn't you, lad.  'Tisn't you a'tol.  I suppose age is finally catching up to me these days."

Taking a quick swig of his rum, he let out a small laugh.  "It isn't my fault you're old.  I just never realized just how old you really are, you scallywag."

"Go to hell, you!" He yelled back as he let out a loud laugh.  Then he wiped his hands and propped himself on a stool he kept behind the bar to rest on.  "So, lad, what can I get you today?"

The man quietly answered him as he stared at his empty glass.   "For starters, some more rum...and a good crew."

The old man leaned back a little, a smile broke through his tired face, and his eyes grew wide with intrigue.   "Ahhh, I see."   He got on his feet and stood straight as he poured the man another glass of rum.  "Well now, Jack, my lad.  I can assure you that once again, you've come to the right place..."

(OOC)

Alright ye Pirates, and lubbers of pirates, here it is.  Sign up now for a new RPG of "Pirates of the Carribean"!  Yes, it had to be done, hehe.  :)  This will be hopefully a good game, and I will do my best.  Since this is my first online game I am starting, any good advice will be much appreciated.  The cast will be small(15-20 players, max), which is fine since I am new to this, and there aren't a whole lot of main characters on these sort of stories anyway.  Those who can not post regularly, please make that known.  Re-occuring characters are welcome.

Here be the ranks:

Ranks...

Captain - The captain supervises the officers and makes major decisions concerning the ship and crew

First Mate/Navigator (pilot) - Assistant to the captain, acts as captain in the captain's absence, divides prizes and wages, attends navigation, doles punishment, gives on-board signals by whistle or pipe.

Second Mate /Sailmaster - 2nd level assisstant to the captain - acts as captain in captains & First absence - Maintains sails/ riggings/anchors

(The navigator and sailmaster work together. The navigator plots the ship's course by knowledge of maps, charts, astronomy, etc. The two consult on tricky maneuvers (e.g. sailing close to reefs, docking, riding out storms). The sailmaster maintains the sails, rigging, tackle, and anchor. The two keep records, joint & individual)

Chief Gunner - The chief gunner is in charge of the maintenance and firing of weapons, allocating crew to weapons in battle, etc.

Gunners Mate - Assisstant to the Chief Gunner.

Quartermaster - In charge of needs for stores, repairs, and boats: inventories, accounts for ship's needs, makes purchases.

Boatswain (or Bo'sun ) - Allocates crew to maintenance and repairs, inspects, sets watches. in charge of the physical body of the boat

Surgeon - In charge of medicines, herbal remedies, tending wounds and diseases, etc.

Victims and innocent by-standers-Need lots of those.  Just kidding

The rank of Captain is taken by yours truly.  It isn't as glamourous as you think.  I have to keep the game on coarse after all anyway :D

The rank of First Mate/Navigator is alo filled by a wonderful person who is willing to help me with this adventure, Shalamar.

The rest are available until you see they are filled.  When all things are satisfactory, and all riggings are properly secured, we will set sail into whatever awaits us out there.  Feel free to post any questions, concerns or comments about this game here.  I will answer them as soon as I am able to.  The game is PG-13, just as the movie.  I don't want anything raunchy or vulgar here.  I honestly believe there can still be an awesome game without anything over the top, or topless (if you know what I mean). Most of all, this should be fun for everyone.  Thank you, and welcome aboard!

Edited by A Karas, 31 December 2003 - 09:44 PM.

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:04 PM

Yep I'm in A Karas, don't know whether I'm playing a male or a female yet...but you have a First Mate.

#3 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:14 PM

Eeeeeep, I know less about ships on the water than I do ships in space!!  :eek2:

And I don't *need* another RP character ;), but do you have room for a cook or galley chef or something......a tough female with attitude and a strange sense of humor? She can, of course, do more than that, but I'd be bad at trying to do "ship stuff"! ;)

If not, that's okay!! :D

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 01 January 2004 - 01:09 AM.

#4 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:27 PM

But can you cook Nikki? :bigsmile:

I'd say a good cook is of the utmost importance
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#5 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:36 PM

Shalamar, on Dec 31 2003, 07:27 PM, said:

But can you cook Nikki? :bigsmile:

I'd say a good cook is of the utmost importance
Can I cook??  :o  CAN I COOK?? Can I EVER cook!!! :D

Oh, you meant food....yeah, I can cook that, too  :angel:!  So, profile time, eh? ;)

#6 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 12:22 AM

Nikki, it's an honor to have you aboard.  And yes, character profiles are necessary, however, you don't need to be ship-wise to play.  If you can keep the crew happily fed, and lend a hand on whatever that needs tending to, that'd great.  Your idea of the chef sounds great too.  :)

Thank you again, Shalamar.  I am truly grateful.
Posted Image

#7 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 12:40 AM

Thanks, A Karas!! You're a sweetie! :D

How is everyone getting their pirate name?  I was thinking of having a regular name, and a pirate nickname. I don't like the ones the website name things are generating.

#8 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 12:45 AM

Loved Pirates of the Carribean, but this is a little out of my league. Sounds like it'll be a good read though, and I look forward to reading it. :)

Rommie :cylon:
Posted Image

#9 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 01:33 AM

Nikki Peppermint has a nice ring to a chef's name :D  But that's up to you.  Just remember, this game does not take place in the future or the present, so names like "Tootsie" or whatever might not exactlly fit in.  I agree, them pirate name generating sites are not that great of a place to pick up a name unless you happen to get one you like.  This is your character, and I like to leave creative aspects of a character to the one playing him or her.  :)
This is my first crack at this online gig, so I hope I am giving enough creative space so far.  If not, please waste no time in putting me in my place :)  

Sitting this one out, Rommie?  I am surprosed.  Well, there's always room for you if you ever change your mind.
Posted Image

#10 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 01:36 AM

:eek:

Nooooooooooo!  Must....fight....temptation....  Must....fight....shiny....piratey-goodness!

And dangit, Nikki took the best job already! ;)

Okay, I'm in.  I may stink at it, but I'll give it a shot! :hehe:  Since I know *literally* nothing about boats (What?  :look: I was raised in Kansas!  We don't have big boats here ;)), can I be quartermaster?

No idea what my profile will look like yet, but I'll think of something. :ninja:
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#11 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 01:41 AM

silverwind, on Dec 31 2003, 10:36 PM, said:

:eek:

Nooooooooooo!  Must....fight....temptation....  Must....fight....shiny....piratey-goodness!

And dangit, Nikki took the best job already! ;)
Wellllllll.......wanna be co-cooks or something? ;)  There's always mayhem to be had when two women are in the kitchen.  What if we tried to share the quartermaster job, if A Karas is willing to let us try?  If not, that would be good for you ;).  You could shop and actually not spend any of YOUR money ;)! :D  Lemme know!

EDITED: DUH!!!! I didn't even see the part about you requesting quartermaster.........go me ;)!! So ignore the insane purple girl, erm......pirate in this post  :Oo:!

As for a name, since this is a "realistic" RP....I'm thinking Angelica DeMint for her real name, then some sort of nickname! :D

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 01 January 2004 - 01:49 AM.

#12 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 01:44 AM

A Quartermaster is basically the one to keep the ship, ship shape.  This person basically is the shopper in a loose sense.  And if you don't know much about boats, that's okay.  You will after this game, hahahaha!  :D  Just kidding.  Sounds good.

Whew, it's almost 11:45 here now, and I've been drinking a wee bit too many glasses of Vodka and beer.  Me thinks the Vodka is starting to kick in.  Mmmmm, al-co-hol.  :)  2004 is just around the bend.
Posted Image

#13 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 01:51 AM

Nikki Peppermint, on Jan 1 2004, 06:41 AM, said:

Wellllllll.......wanna be co-cooks or something? ;)  There's always mayhem to be had when two women are in the kitchen.  What if we tried to share the quartermaster job, if A Karas is willing to let us try?  If not, that would be good for you ;).  You could shop and actually not spend any of YOUR money ;)! :D  Lemme know!

EDITED: DUH!!!! I didn't even see the part about you requesting quartermaster.........go me ;)!!

As for a name, since this is a "realistic" RP....I'm thinking Angelica DeMint for her real name, then some sort of nickname! :D
If you've seen the movie, that's basically how the the world in the game will be like.  Not completely realistic.  

Not sure yet about having two characters sharing jobs here just yet.  Maybe in the future, depending on how the game is going, and how well this new, but still very evil GM will be able to carry the game along. :)  For now, I prefer not.  If you two are willing to trade, yes.  Who knows, maybe there's a story in it.  Hmmmm....oh the ideas that come to mind now... :D
Posted Image

#14 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 01:54 AM

A Karas, on Dec 31 2003, 10:51 PM, said:

Not sure yet about having two characters sharing jobs here just yet.  Maybe in the future, depending on how the game is going, and how well this new, but still very evil GM will be able to carry the game along. :)  For now, I prefer not.  If you two are willing to trade, yes.  Who knows, maybe there's a story in it.  Hmmmm....oh the ideas that come to mind now... :D
No, it's okay! I edited above and didn't read sw's post fully  :blush:. She requested the quartermaster job.  Don't mind me, honest..... ;).  I'll just be in the kitchen if you need me ;) :D!!

I get way too helpful and excited about these RPs!! :o ;)

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 01 January 2004 - 01:54 AM.

#15 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 01:56 AM

Yeah, quartermaster works just fine for me. :) And since the cook has to get supplies from somewhere, I can still bother Nikki! :devil:

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#16 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 01:58 AM

Ha  :hehe:! Look at me causing trouble already ;).. I'm ready to be a pirate :D! ;)

#17 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 02:01 AM

silverwind, on Jan 1 2004, 06:56 AM, said:

Yeah, quartermaster works just fine for me. :) And since the cook has to get supplies from somewhere, I can still bother Nikki! :devil:
Hehe, sure, and maybe have your own ideas on how to make a good stew.  Oh this alone should be quite interesting.  Sounds great.

Ummm...do I have to kiss the librarian?  I'm so afraid...
Posted Image

#18 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Sitting this one out, Rommie? I am surprosed. Well, there's always room for you if you ever change your mind.

Thank you for that, and I'd love to play. But I've already got a full enough plate as it is. I'm looking forward to your adventures. I'd probably be more of the enemy type anyway. ;)

Rommie :cylon:
Posted Image

#19 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Just remember the captain's rules:  No mutiny! ;)

(Drat, now I'll have to watch Pirates tomorrow to aid in my character creation.  Yeah...that's it. :look: ;))

Ummm...do I have to kiss the librarian? I'm so afraid...

Nah, that's optional.  But you do have to make sure she's well-funded on her quartermaster's duties! ;)

Edited by silverwind, 01 January 2004 - 02:03 AM.

#20 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 02:30 AM

Ummm...we be Pirates, funding is not a problem.  :D   There's also the option of stealing-I mean "borrowing" :D  A little looting and stuff goes a long way.  :)

And that's right, no mutiny allowed.   ;) And no sinking the ship...

Edited by A Karas, 01 January 2004 - 02:33 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users