#1 No Name

No Name

Will fold, spindle, and definitely mutilate

• Islander
  • 558 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:28 PM

:eek2: I just saw this on the news:

http://www.miami.com...ent/7621938.htm

This is as bad or even worse than what Micheal Jackson did with his kid.  :eek2:

I can't believe I just saw this!  :eek2:

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:32 PM

Yeah I got an email about this earlier today.  It's revolting.

Lil
Posted Image

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:33 PM

Every news article about an incidentl ike this is required to have an amazingly bad understament, usually tinged with a "But I'm sure they didn't mean it!". Here it is:

"I have seen the television footage and while I have no doubt the Irwins love their children very much, I believe it was an error of judgement to place a baby in a potentially dangerous situation," Spence said in a statement.

*head explodes*
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 No Name

No Name

Will fold, spindle, and definitely mutilate

• Islander
  • 558 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:38 PM

Look at this!  :o

http://www.itv.com/news/2025387.html

What a freaking idiot!  :angry:

#5 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:42 PM

oh for crying out loud.
Posted Image

#6 MrsRhade

MrsRhade

All you need is love

• Islander
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:18 PM

http://story.news.ya...rocodile_hunter

Before a crowd of onlookers at his reptile park in Beerwah, north of Brisbane, Irwin on Friday cradled his month-old son, Robert, under one arm and dangled a piece of chicken from the other hand in front of a 13-foot crocodile.

I'm a fan of Irwin's, but, I just think that it was poor judgement to have his baby anywhere near a crocodile.

Check out the video if you haven't seen it already.

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,230 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:21 PM

Now, hold on a minute -- this man knows far more about the behavior of crocodiles than any of us does, so I'd say he's more qualified to assess the potential risk than we are.  In his line of work, if he were in any way reckless or cavalier about the power of these animals, he wouldn't have lived long enough to have a baby.

Sure, if something went wrong, maybe the croc could've hurt the child.  But you can say the same thing about a car, or an elevator.  The key is managing the risk, and Irwin knows how to manage the risks posed by crocodiles.  So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#8 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:22 PM

Yes but I am certain Teri is going to kick his ass before anyone says anything.

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:24 PM

At the very least he should be charged with child endangerment. People complained, and rightly so, when Jacko dangled his child over the railing. Irwin went much, much further.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him go to jail for this...but, then again, I'm biased here. I can't stand the man. Everytime he comes on I root for the snake or the croc.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#10 MrsRhade

MrsRhade

All you need is love

• Islander
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:26 PM

G1223, on Jan 2 2004, 10:22 PM, said:

Yes but I am certain Teri is going to kick his ass before anyone says anything.
Only thing with that is, she handed him the baby.  :eek2:

MODS: I just noticed that another thread was started on this subject in "The Beach". Sorry for the duplication.

#11 parisindy

parisindy

Uglier then homemade soup

• Islander
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:26 PM

i'm with you christopher
Hope Lives again, serving the pro-Andromeda fandom!!
Totally DBD!

"God bless Einstein, but I had to boost his theory just a little."
-Harper, Decay of the Angel

Remember that a good friend will come and  bail you out of
jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
       "Damn...that was fun!"
Posted Image proud member of the Celtic Kelp... 7672.5 miles and counting Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#12 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:27 PM

A note from your friendly admin:

We now have two topics on this, one in the beach and one in OT. Based on this being a current event, I'm tossing it over to OT, where the two threads will then be merged.

Standby....

EDIT: Done. Enjoy!

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 02 January 2004 - 10:35 PM.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#13 MrsRhade

MrsRhade

All you need is love

• Islander
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:30 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Jan 2 2004, 10:27 PM, said:

A note from your friendly admin:

We now have two topics on this, one in the beach and one in OT. Based on this being a current event, I'm tossing it over to OT, where the two threads will then be merged.

Standby....
Thanks Rov! :)

#14 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:38 PM

APOTS MrsRhade. :cool:.

Christopher, on Jan 2 2004, 08:21 PM, said:

Sure, if something went wrong, maybe the croc could've hurt the child.  But you can say the same thing about a car, or an elevator.  The key is managing the risk, and Irwin knows how to manage the risks posed by crocodiles.  So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here.
Hrm. That's one way of looking at it. Intriguing.

*PAGING SILVERWIND*

Didn't, however, the croc hunter get bitten by one of his animals last year? I seem to recall reading something about that....

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 02 January 2004 - 10:38 PM.

#15 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:57 PM

For starters, while I don't think taking the baby into the enclosure is a terribly good idea, I don't think it constitues criminal endangerment.  If there's one person on earth who would know just how far they could push a crocodile before it became dangerous, its Steve Irwin.  And knowing him, you can bet there were a dozen rehearsals with his staff, going through all worst-case scenarios.

As far as Steve getting injured last year, I hadn't heard anything about it.  (Then again, my TV access has been somewhat....limited...since August. :glare: )  I know a few years back his best friend, Wes Manion, was attacked by Graham, but otherwise I'm not aware of anything.

Oh, and one more thing to consider:  It was Murray, who is right around 12 feet, if memory serves.  Australia Zoo has crocs up to 14-16 feet long.  If he'd taken Bob in with...say...Agro or Acco, *then* I'd be willing to call him crazy.
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#16 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:07 PM

G1223 said : Yes but I am certain Teri is going to kick his ass before anyone says anything.

Actually…

His American wife, Terri, who handed the baby over to Irwin in the enclosure and giggled at the spectacle, agreed.
"It was a wonderful sensory experience for him (the baby). He dug it," she said.

On the whole thing, I think he's nuts.

Although I thought that long before this incident. ;)

mystic

Edited by mystic, 02 January 2004 - 11:19 PM.

If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#17 Zoxesyr

Zoxesyr
  • Islander
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:11 PM

This was clearly a lapse in judgment.  Both on the part of Steve Irwin, and on who-ever produces this show.  

No zookeeper, no animal trainer, no vet of any kind would at any time put an infant in a compromisable position like this.  Steve put himself and his child at risk because he would have had to divide his attention between the animal and the baby if something went wrong.

No producer, except the most venally profit motivated, would even bother airing this footage.  Steve Irwin has tried to maintain the image of a wildlife educator.  He has been a bit on the extreme side, but always commenting on the dangers of getting involved with wild animals.  This footage cannot be PR-spun in any positive way except to generate buzz on TV and the net.

Irwin has done other things with his infant, like putting him on the back of a zoo tiger.  However the tiger was on a chain leash, held by two other zoo keepers, and the tiger was accustomized to human touch and close physical presence.  The picture clearly shows that the croc was NOT leashed or controled by any other person, on or off camera.

Irwin's comments afterwards were also ill-considered.  Someone should have muzzled him and made an appropriately appologetic press release.  There is no way an infant of less than 1 year can be be "...completely familiar with crocodiles."  Although I think that charging him with child endangerment may be going a little too overboard.

He deserves the PR disaster he has created for himself and the other wildlife shows.  He has set back nature educational TV years by doing this.  :angry:
www.zoxesyrbautie.com

#18 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:20 PM

Irwin has done other things with his infant, like putting him on the back of a zoo tiger.  However the tiger was on a chain leash, held by two other zoo keepers, and the tiger was accustomized to human touch and close physical presence.  The picture clearly shows that the croc was NOT leashed or controled by any other person, on or off camera.

Actually, that was Bindi, his daughter.

He deserves the PR disaster he has created for himself and the other wildlife shows.  He has set back nature educational TV years by doing this.  :angry:

Why?  Because you disagree with his methods?
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#19 BizzyD17

BizzyD17

Doomed From The Start

• Islander
  • 774 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:24 PM

He deserves the PR disaster he has created for himself and the other wildlife shows. He has set back nature educational TV years by doing this.

Have you seen Wildboys on MTV  :lol:  If you think Steve Irwin holding his baby and feeding a crocodile sets educational wildlife tv back by years you are watching the wrong show.

I think it is bad,but I think back to when I was a baby and my dad would stand me up on the railing at the zoo so I could see the animals better,I kinda can't see why the big uproar,except that he's a public figure and the media is always up for a good character slaying.

#20 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:24 PM

Christopher I'm pretty sure that Roy, of Siegfried and Roy, is quite the authority on tigers too.  So what?

Lil

Edited by Una Salus Lillius, 02 January 2004 - 11:32 PM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, TV, Crocodile Hunter, Daughter

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users