71 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:19 PM

http://sports.yahoo....ov=ap&type=lgns

After 14 years of denials, Pete Rose has finally come clean and admitted he bet on baseball while manager of the Cincinnati Reds.

The career hits leader says in his soon-to-be-released autobiography that he hopes the acknowledgment will help end his ban from baseball, which could lead to his induction into the Hall of Fame.

Rose says he was a big-time gambler who started betting regularly on baseball in 1987 but never against the Reds, according to excerpts from the book released to Sports Illustrated for its issue that hits newsstands Wednesday.

``Yes, sir, I did bet on baseball,'' Rose told commissioner Bud Selig during a meeting in November 2002 about Rose's lifetime ban.

``How often?'' Selig asked.

``Four or five times a week,'' Rose replied. ``But I never bet against my own team, and I never made any bets from the clubhouse.''

:wacko:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:21 PM

[Hot Button Alert]  I understand why he'd be banned from Baseball for doing this.  But NONE of this has a damned thing to do with what he accomplished on the field and I think it's frelling criminal that he isn't already in the Hall of Fame.   :angry:  [/Hot Button Alert]
Posted Image

#3 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:36 PM

I'm just not sure I understand the logic that says he's not allowed in the game while he claims to be innocent, but now that we know for a fact he's guilty, let's let him in the Hall of Fame...

I don't know.  I'm of two minds.  On the one hand, Pete Rose is a Hall of Famer whether we call him one or not.  He'll always be mentioned among the best players in the game's history anyway, so why not just admit it and move on?

On the other hand, anything to do with gambling goes to the very integrity of the sport.  There have to be harsh penalties for it, even ones we'd rather not enforce otherwise the whole game's in trouble...

Bottom line, I can live with Rose getting in the Hall of Fame.  I can live with Rose being out of the Hall of Fame.  I don't quite understand the Commissioner's Office position of "First let's make him confess," but what do I know?

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:43 PM

I'm with John. Why make him confess and THEN induct him? Sounds hypocritical to me. And if he was betting as often as he said, he had a serious gambling problem, which makes me doubt that he never bet on or against his own team.

Doesn't make sense to me. Either he belongs in the Hall of Fame because of what he brought to the game, or IMO, he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame because he's come to represent some of what's wrong with the sport.

But either way, this confession is just..well..d'oh.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#5 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 06:03 PM

Well, if he bet on baseball, but not on his own team, then you could consider his ban up to this point to be adequate punishment. If he has then served his punishment, then he should be able to rejoin the baseball community and get his shot at the Hall of Fame.

If he bet on his own team, then his lifetime ban is well deserved.

#6 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 06:13 PM

First of all, they haven't inducted him into the hall of fame, he's hoping they will, AFTER he hawks(sorry Hawk) his book.

And yes, he should inducted for his work on the field, but after the "Black Sox" scandle, a person could a heavy drug user, and still be allowed to play, because they aren't throw a game, a gambler might. :wacko:

http://www.mc.cc.md....rv/blacksox.htm
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#7 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 06:49 PM

^ Yes, I realize they haven't inducted him, but I think there's always been a sense that Commissioner Bud has been waiting for Rose to admit he goofed, at which point ol' Bud gets to "do the right thing" and look magnanimous.

Or as magnanimous as a man who calls to mind the image of a particularly dour species of large rodent can look.

#8 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 07:19 PM

This was the subject of debate on talk radio today as I ran out to pay the rent. I was in the car most of two hours listening, and tha overwhelming majority of callers were against letting Rose in at all.

They didn't want to see him made into a hero after what he had done. The players, owners, managers of baseball KNOW that betting on baseball while part of the institution is the MAJOR no-no, the most serious offence you can do.  And Rose did it anyway.

This is not what the callers want to see being rewarded, as being shown as 'right'.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:05 PM

So he bet of baseball. Big deal. He did not do drugs he did not get drunk and be pulled over by the police. He did not beat on his wife or children.  The guys who did this crap are getting pats on the back or at least not banned from the game.

Pete Rose earned the right to be in the Hall of Fame. That was by playing a very hard game and did so with sportsmanship. which is a Hell of a lot more that some so called Sports heroes currently can say.

On a side note they should consider the Darryle Strawberry "I did $20,000,000 in coke and still get play baseball" award. I mean nothing better would be had than letting players into the hall of fame than by their over endulgence of Cocanine so as to keep the supply low so kids could not get hooked. We could call it "Sports Stars get stoned so you don't need to."program.

Edited by G1223, 05 January 2004 - 08:14 PM.

#10 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:28 PM

What G said.  I think that Baseball has its priorities SERIOUSLY out of whack.   :glare:
Posted Image

#11 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:31 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 5 2004, 06:28 PM, said:

What G said.  I think that Baseball has its priorities SERIOUSLY out of whack.   :glare:
Well, yes and no!

Yes, their drug policies have been laughable.

But the Black Sox scandal has left such a permanent mark on the attitude of MLB that it looks out against even the mere suggestion of a repeat. That's why Rose is in the situation he's in.

#12 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:34 PM

Yeah, if there's one thing the MLB can't abide, it's people exploiting the game for profit.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:37 PM

Like I said.  F*cked.  Up.  Priorities.

:angry:
Posted Image

#14 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:39 PM

^ That was sarcasm, right? ;)

No, it's more like they want to insure their product is untainted. Don't think baseball would have been around very long if it had the stigma of being "fixed"

#15 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:44 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 6 2004, 01:28 AM, said:

What G said.  I think that Baseball has its priorities SERIOUSLY out of whack.   :glare:
Agreed.  I can see betting *against* your team at any point in time.  But betting *for* it?  Why the hell not?

#16 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:44 PM

No Rov, the players and owners do that ...the post of Commissioner of baseball was created specifically because of the black Sox incident. And it is drilled into the players from day one that betting on basebll is the one zero tollerance subject there is.  Rose knew what he was doing ( and yes other do to - I do think their policies are out of wack ) ...

The one thing that could lead to a LIFETIME Ban, and he did it anyway... and I think he should not be allowed to get away with it, and being inducted into the Hall of Fame is saying that he can.

Please understand I am not a sports fan as a whole, and particularrly not Baseball. I think there are alot of sports types that get held up and hailed as 'heros', some one to emulate, that should not be in any way shape or form.  However this thread is not discussing them, it is discussing Pete Rose. What he did, and what the Rules of the Instution are.

Not his abilities, but what he did that lead to his life time ban.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#17 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:52 PM

Also in  Pete's betting scandel it was never said or suggested he bet against his team or threw games.  I just see gambling as  alesser sin compared to so of these guys and the commisiner should do something.

Do Drugs get booted reguardless of who it is if you gamble same thing but be consistant about it.  Baseball makes a fool out of it's self and the fans who are die hard about it when this crap keeps going on.

#18 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:54 PM

HubcapDave, on Jan 5 2004, 05:39 PM, said:

^ That was sarcasm, right? ;)
Nope I was dead serious.  I already warned you that this is a hot button topic for me.  I have no issues with MLB banning him from baseball.  But the Hall of Fame issue is a different matter.  He DESERVES to be in the hall of fame.  Gambling problem or not.  Baseball players are human beings to for crying out loud!
Posted Image

#19 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:55 PM

Sorry Lil, my comment was for Rov's post, not yours!

#20 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:59 PM

prolog, on Jan 5 2004, 08:44 PM, said:

Agreed.  I can see betting *against* your team at any point in time.  But betting *for* it?  Why the hell not?
Because Rose, some of the time he was apparently betting, was the manager of that team.

Imagine you are the manager, and you absolutely need to win this one game-- because you bet on it.  Your team's best pitcher has a sore arm, pitching tonight could ruin his career and cost you the pennant, but hey, you've got a lot of money riding on this one game... would it really hurt him to pitch a few innings?

That's why-- moving now to G's point-- gambling is different from other things, like drug use.  Look, I hate drug use as much as anybody.  I wish the anti-drug laws were a whole lot tougher.

But doing drugs doesn't directly affect the game.  It's stupid, it's dangerous, it's a bad influence, but it's not cheating.  Gambling is, at least potentially.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sports, Baseball, Pete Rose, Gambling

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users