26 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:16 PM

http://abcnews.go.co...40106_1188.html

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton apologized for joking that Mahatma Gandhi used to run a gas station in St. Louis, saying it was "a lame attempt at humor."

:unsure:

I don't think it's offensive, but I demand she hire a better joke writer.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:22 PM

Open mouth!  Insert foot!  The Clinton Tradition Marches on!
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#3 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:27 PM

Hilary has apologized, so everything is okay with the world again.  :sarcasm:  :rolleyes:
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#4 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:27 PM

:eh:  Huh? I mean, it's just an absurd remark of the sort I would make. But this response:

The director of a U.S. center devoted to Gandhi's teachings said the remarks amounted to stereotyping and were insensitive.

Stereotyping? I didn't realize that Indian gas-station owners was a stereotype. They must be making new ones every day. Insensitive? Uh . . . to whom? People who hate absurdity?

I think it's somewhat amusing, given the context in which she said it. It suggests that she's more than just a humorless lefty-bot.  :cool:

So, someone clue me in: what are the stereotypes I should avoid when talking about the Portugese, circus performers, or Spaniels? Because I'm giving a speech tonight, and I want to make sure that the most sensitive people in the audience aren't offended.

Edited by Drew, 06 January 2004 - 03:31 PM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:28 PM

Looks like the Clinton's and Dean have a lot in common.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#6 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:33 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jan 6 2004, 02:28 PM, said:

Looks like the Clinton's and Dean have a lot in common.
That's been obvious since Howard Dean flipped his first flop.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#7 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:34 PM

Drew: I didn't realize that Indian gas-station owners was a stereotype.

Drew,

Hrm. You know, the "Indian Gas Station Owner" stereotype is actually one I'm quite familiar with; heck, it's even been immortalized on the Simpsons. Even here in Arizona, there's quite a few Indian Gas Station Owners (right next to the Korean grocery stores. Seriously.).  I'm actually surprised by your reaction.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:38 PM

:glare: She thought it was funny to make a joke about a racial stereotype? Shame on you Hilary, you're better than that.  Might as well make a joke about middle eastern corner store owners.
Posted Image

#9 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:41 PM

That's right dangit.  If she's going to make a statement like that, she should get her facts straight.  Indian gas station owners are all called Apu, not Gandhi.  

:p
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#10 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:42 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Jan 6 2004, 02:34 PM, said:

Hrm. You know, the "Indian Gas Station Owner" stereotype is actually one I'm quite familiar with; heck, it's even been immortalized on the Simpsons. Even here in Arizona, there's quite a few Indian Gas Station Owners (right next to the Korean grocery stores. Seriously.).  I'm actually surprised by your reaction.
1) I don't watch The Simpsons.

2) Must be a regional thing. We don't have Korean groceries, either. (Hmong groceries, on the other hand, we got plenty.) But . . . really so what if she said that? What harm has been done? I know a few Swedes who have gas stations. They seem rather proud of them.

#11 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:43 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 6 2004, 02:38 PM, said:

Might as well make a joke about middle eastern corner store owners.
Is it so bad to own a grocery store?  :eh:

#12 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:45 PM

The point is making the generalization based on race.  It's kinda like saying "white men can't jump" or Kevin Sorbo's assumption that because Keith is a big black guy he must know how to play basketball...

Lil
Posted Image

#13 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:45 PM

In fairness to Drew, I'm actually not familiar with the "Indian gas station owner" stereotype, either. But that does provide the context of the remarks that I was going to ask for, inadvertently....

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#14 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:51 PM

I can't believe I'm defending Hillary, of all people. If she's racially insensitive, then so is Matt Groening. Where's the outrage?  :suspect:

Pity the poor Indian Gas Station owners. They're getting rich by propagating a stereotype. I wonder when they'll get picketed by the forces of Correct-Thinking™.

Edited by Drew, 06 January 2004 - 03:54 PM.

#15 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:53 PM

Drew, on Jan 6 2004, 01:51 PM, said:

I can't believe I'm defending Hillary, of all people. If she's racially insensitive, then so is Matt Groening. Where's the outrage?  :suspect:

Pity the poor Indian Gas Station owners. They're getting rich by propagating a stereotype. I wonder when they'll get picketed by the forces of Correct-Thinking™.
I'm actually with you on this one Drew. It seems fairly harmless.

I'm just offended that a Senator doesn't have a staff capable of coming up with better jokes. Couldn't she hire Orpheus or something?

#16 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:56 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Jan 6 2004, 02:53 PM, said:

I'm just offended that a Senator doesn't have a staff capable of coming up with better jokes.
Well, I assume her staff are all Democrats, too. Humor is not their strong point.  :cool:

:: Poke, Poke ::

Edited by Drew, 06 January 2004 - 04:00 PM.

#17 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:59 PM

Yeah this is WEIRD, me giving her a hard time and Drew defending her.  Maybe it's because I live in a very very racially diverse area where I see this stereotyping all the time that I'm super sensitive to it...

Lil
Posted Image

#18 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:02 PM

So let's turn this into an academic discussion: what makes for a stereotype?

If it's true that a large number of gas station owners are Indian, then is it offensive to write a story where a gas station owner is Indian? Or is it merely a reflection of something that is true about society?

Edited by Drew, 06 January 2004 - 04:03 PM.

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:06 PM

I'd say the answer to your question is no.  However it is offensive (imo) to assume that any Indian you run into owns a gas station simply *because* he's Indian.  Does that help?
Posted Image

#20 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:09 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 6 2004, 03:06 PM, said:

I'd say the answer to your question is no.  However it is offensive (imo) to assume that any Indian you run into owns a gas station simply *because* he's Indian.  Does that help?
Assumptions are based on stereotypes. First the stereotype has to exist. To assume that any Indian you run into must own a gas station is a failure of logic first. Of course, the only person of Indian descent I run into on a regular basis is our pediatrician.  :cool:

Edited by Drew, 06 January 2004 - 04:12 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politicians, Hillary Clinton, Ghandi Joke, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users