• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:53 PM

I've met maybe ten people from India, living in West Virginia. I lived in North Carolina for a year, and most of the "Quicky Mart" type places were owned and or operated by Indians. Low MArt was a favorite stop. The owner ran it and a motel with rooms by the hour. (Never went to the motel).
Can't Touch This!!

#22 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 05:34 PM

There is a sizeable Indian community in the Nitro/ Charleston area in WV, I've met dozens of them and I've counted two as my friends. (and I tried to very clumsily court one of them once, but that was another story) There seemed to be a lot of doctors, engineers and other highend professions. At WVU itself there is a large Indian component to the computer science and engineering departments as well as chemistry departments.  
Also, on a related notes about suprising ethnic information, the headquarters of the American Druze Society is in Charleston, WV. Apparently a lot of Druze migrated to southern WV after the start of the various Lebanese civil wars.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#23 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:49 PM

tennyson, on Jan 6 2004, 05:34 PM, said:

At WVU itself there is a large Indian component to the computer science and engineering departments as well as chemistry departments.
This one's not a stereotype at all, but an economics thing.  One of my professors was actually talking about this the other day.  With the growing number of technology jobs being shipped overseas from the U.S., there's a huge demand for technical skill in countries like India, and U.S. colleges are offering lots of scholarships for these international students (since, we just spend the last decade boosting our high-tech education programs right before so many of those jobs went overseas).

The result--the nations with rapidly growing technology economies are shipping a lot of students to the U.S. for their educations.

-Nick

#24 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 11:23 PM

I don't see the stereotype either, around here the "Dairy MarK" style strories are run by Arabs, not Indians. And the gas stations still have Americans running them. However we have had a large influx of Mexicans. :unsure:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#25 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:32 PM

http://www.bongonews...1.php?event=829

Are you sure he didn't run a gas station? :lol:  :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#26 Munrock

Munrock

As for the monkey there is a wood

• Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:43 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 6 2004, 08:59 PM, said:

Maybe it's because I live in a very very racially diverse area where I see this stereotyping all the time that I'm super sensitive to it...
And some people are more sensitive to it than others.  Being able to tell whether the stereotyped race would be offended by any particular case or not is an acquired skill.

Unfortunately the humour in the joke doesn't relate to how offensive it is, and some people don't realise that.
Lies: the real WMDs

"When minds have fed on falsehood for generations, these falsehoods constitute a prison from which it is difficult and painful to break out."
-Renato Constantino

#27 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:24 AM

. . .

Edited by Drew, 19 January 2004 - 09:26 AM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politicians, Hillary Clinton, Ghandi Joke, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users