7 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 04:39 PM

So...........

this is an interesting precedent in these days of gene splicing, the prospect of clones, and of course genetic mutation....

I can just see some lawyer in future generations using this case to argue his case against affording "mutants" human rights....

:eek:

:turn:  :turn:  :turn:

Posted Image

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 04:44 PM

Contrived?

hehe, mess.   :devil:

Posted Image

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 08:57 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan. 20 2003,15:39, said:

So...........

this is an interesting precedent in these days of gene splicing, the prospect of clones, and of course genetic mutation....

I can just see some lawyer in future generations using this case to argue his case against affording "mutants" human rights....

:eek:

:turn:  :turn:  :turn:
Unfortunately Lil, I can see the same exact thing...and further...Winning...

:eek:  cubed!

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 05:37 AM

[quote]The judge found that Kraven exhibited "highly exaggerated muscle tone in arms and legs." He wore a "lion's mane-like vest." Both features helped relegate him, in the judge's mind, to the netherworld of robots, monsters and devils.[qoute]

anyone ever seen Scott Steiner? or some of the serious weightlifting freaks in the extremem fitnedss magazines who have biceps wider than my midriff?

so i i dress one of these guys who has without any doubt in most people's minds 'highly exaggerated muscle tone in arms and legs' in a vest made from a yellow material with a red fur liner on it resembling a lions mane, i have just stopped him being a homo sapien? :eek:  :eek:

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,598 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 04:33 PM

Disclaimer:

I never read comic books - maybe a dozen or two in my entire childhood, and most of those in a single bored summer day when I was 17, forced at girlpoint (I swear girls will force you to do *anything* you don't want to). I've never even seen the X-Men movie (been boycotting the MPAA for two years)

All I know about comic books comes from hearing people discuss them, and yet this article still struck me as amazingly ironic:

Fans Howl in Protest as Judge Decides X-Men Aren't Human [Wall St. Journal]

Have fun!

#6 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 04:42 PM

I love the legal system.

It's like a contrived mess, except... okay, actually, there's no difference sometimes. :eek:

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#7 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 05:50 PM

*shakes head*

Oy. And to think real money depended on this. Real lawyers wrote real legal briefs arguing for the humanity of fictional characters. And a real judge spent time playing with toys. What a way to make a living! ;)

Methinks the author of that article is a comic book fan. He knows too much about secret jungle elixirs and Mole Men to be a mere mortal.  ;)

Per aspera ad astra

#8 Techfreak Ziana

Techfreak Ziana

Mistress Matrix, Technophiliac

• Islander
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 09:10 PM

Eh, interesting, but think this is being made too much of...

The toy company just didn't want to have to pay as much tariff fees based on an aribtary 'dolls' vs 'toys' distinction. Totally aside from whether they should be called humans or not, I'd call plastic action-figures -- whether X-Men or anyone else -- toys, not dolls.

But anyway... main point: the judge decided that 'the X-Men are "something other than human." '

"other than" is not the same thing as "less than"

For example, say there's a tariff rate difference for auto headlights vs flashlights/torches. And you have some of those 'hunting lights' than can be mounted on top of truck cabs. Could probably be legalezed into the flashlight category if you tried, but they'd still give off light regardless... :upside:

'Rose by any other name', eh? Arbitary labels are just that, arbitrary.

<table border="0"><tr><td valign="top">Posted Image<td align="center"><font face="Verdana">-=-=-=-=-= Techfreak Ziana =-=-=-=-=-
<font size="1">3.12 GCS/MC/IT/L/O d- s-:- a? C++++ UL
P+ L+ W+++ N+ w+ M-- PS+++ PE Y+ D+
PGP-- t+@ 5++ X R tv+ b+++ DI++++ UF++</font>
"Exciting things are coming!" -Nikola Tesla</font></td><td valign="top">Posted Image</td></tr><tr><td align="center" colspan="3">Posted Image</td></tr></table>

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users