Health Addiction TV 2004

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 01:24 AM

Yep, it's true. Everybody give a big Boy Scout salute to Timothy Dumouchel of West Bend, WI.

Man says he's addicted to cable; wants to sue Charter

Cable TV made a West Bend man addicted to TV, caused his wife to be overweight and his kids to be lazy, he says.

And he's threatening to sue the cable company.

Timothy Dumouchel of West Bend wants $5,000 or three computers, and a lifetime supply of free Internet service from Charter Communications to settle what he says will be a small claims suit.

Dumouchel blames Charter for his TV addiction, his wife's 50-pound weight gain and his children's being lazy channel surfers, according to a Fond du Lac police report.

...and he announced this terrible injustice by showing up at the local Charter office and making threatening noises. When the cable guys called the police, good old Timmy told the cops his sob story. You see, he recognized the demon box for the evil thing that it was way back in 1999, and tried to get the cable cut off. But his wife hooked the TV back up anyway (obviously the behavior of a hard-core addict), and the cable still worked! Timmy tried to get Charter to stop the service, but they never did, and as a result, his family was exposed to nefarious entertainment transmissions for four years, free of charge, and were never quite the same again. Now they're all lazy, good for nothing buckets of lard, and somebody is going to pay!

I applaud this fledging initiative - large corporations should be more responsible for our personal behavior, darnit - and I especially applaud the way Timmy has chosen to wean his family off the glass teat. Since as we all know, the Internet is far less addictive and much more educational than TV.

What do you think?

Edited by Kevin Street, 10 January 2004 - 02:08 AM.

Per aspera ad astra

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 01:58 AM

I do love your sarcasm Kevin...what I think about this individual...he's an idiot that read way too many articles on the lawsuit brought against Micky D's...and he really ought to get a life...No sympathy for him or his family. :rolleyes:  :sarcasm:
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 01:59 AM

Nevermind....You *really* don't want to know what I think of this guy, trust me.

Edited by LORD of the SWORD, 10 January 2004 - 02:00 AM.

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 02:21 AM

:hehe:

We needed an equal opportunity, non-partisan strawman around here. Flame on! :devil:

Edited by Kevin Street, 10 January 2004 - 02:52 AM.

#5 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 02:38 AM

Yes, ladies and gentleman, we have a victim society running amuck!

I suppose the guy never considered throwing away his TV and buying his wife some exercise equipment, huh?

All I have to say about to this guy is, "Try quitting smoking, THEN come talk to me about 'addiction'!"

#6 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:11 AM

tee hee, nice sarcasm Kevin

Please tell me this 'suit' will be thrown out and this man publicly humiliated by a judge for wasting the courts time?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#7 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:24 AM

HubcapDave, on Jan 10 2004, 01:38 AM, said:

I suppose the guy never considered... buying his wife some exercise equipment, huh?
If he watches a lot of TV, he probably was warned off of that one by a certain Best Buy commercial this December.

#8 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,597 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:40 AM

At last, my route to riches.  :devil:

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 03:09 AM

HubcapDave, on Jan 10 2004, 02:38 AM, said:

All I have to say about to this guy is, "Try quitting smoking, THEN come talk to me about 'addiction'!"
ROFLMAO
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#10 Munrock

Munrock

As for the monkey there is a wood

• Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 02:50 AM

This happens because people have abused America's legal system for less and gotten away with it, and people are pushing the bar higher.

It really needs to be sorted out.
Lies: the real WMDs

"When minds have fed on falsehood for generations, these falsehoods constitute a prison from which it is difficult and painful to break out."
-Renato Constantino

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:18 AM

Kevin Street, on Jan 10 2004, 02:21 AM, said:

:hehe:

We needed an equal opportunity, non-partisan strawman around here. Flame on! :devil:
Alright, you asked for it. *evil snicker*

To begin...Shalamar was way too kind when she called this guy a idiot. What he truly is is a parasite...A lazy, good for nothing, and I do mean nothing, bum.

From the way I read the article it sounds as if his wife illegally hooked the cable back up...Otherwise, all he'd have had to do was not pay the bill and they would've disconnected him. So, since his wife *stole* the cable, the very first thing that should happen is that he should be charged with cable theft and fined BIG TIME.

I'm thinking the cable bill for all the months he stole it, plus having to pay the cable company's lawyer fees, plus a nice hefty fine for being a dumb parasitic ass thrown in for good measure.

Then send the parasite to jail for the maximum amount the law allows. Let him be a parasite there...3 hots and a cot; oh yeah, and then he can truly be a parasite for his cell mate named "Bubba".

#12 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 11:22 AM

I'd be much more sympathetic to this guy's case if he sued for something other than frivolous reasons. You want a lawsuit, pal? File damages for emotional trauma. Nobody should've been subjected to the current season of Andromeda. There has to be a class action suit in the near-future over that. :lol:

It's alls I can stands and I can't stands no more!

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 11:38 AM

the'Hawk, on Jan 12 2004, 11:22 AM, said:

You want a lawsuit, pal? File damages for emotional trauma. Nobody should've been subjected to the current season of Andromeda. There has to be a class action suit in the near-future over that. :lol:

It's alls I can stands and I can't stands no more!

That's not frivilous ;) ...That's actually a better reason then this parasite's suit...

Actually, given the way civil suits are being filed left, right and center, I can see something along this really happening. A fan suing Steven King for kill off his favorite character in a novel...Suing Robert Jordan for emotional damage for dragging his readers through a never ending story...Actually, I'd just settle for smacking him in that suit...LOL

Edited by LORD of the SWORD, 12 January 2004 - 11:38 AM.

#14 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 12:21 PM

^ You know who I wanna sue? Rov. This place is so addictive that I'm breaking a promise to myself (specifically, to only use the Internet for non-evil purposes until after dinner) just so I can post this. :p

I blame Rov and this place for all my shortcomings. It's Rov's fault I don't have a social life. It's Rov's fault that I lost ten pounds this month! It's ROV'S FAULT that I AM SITTING HERE RIGHT NOW instead of GOING OUTSIDE and FREEZING MY ASS OFF in the CANADIAN WINTER and--- wait, scratch that last one. ;) That's a good thing. So clearly, Rov cannot be responsible for it! :lol:

His seductive creation --this blasted Isle of his, which I openly deride for its unlabeled addictive properties-- is the cause of all my misfortunes! I should call the Surgeon-General RIGHT NOW and request, nay DEMAND that this place be given consideration as a controlled substance! :D

And! Worst of all! The EI is twice as subversive and seductive as that nympho-Cylon, with none of the reproductive tradeoffs! Where's the love, I ask! And why ain't I gettin' any, besides the fact that I'm whiny and threaten lawsuits because I simply can't control myself enough to turn off the browser window!? :lol: You said there'd be Eowyn, Rov. Where's the Eowyn? Where. Is. My. Eowyn!?  :p

Ah, well. What else is on?

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  

#15 Cyncie

Cyncie

Cool Daddio!

• Islander
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 12:30 PM

LOL@Hawk! ^^^^

Goodnight, Sweetheart
Well, it's time to go...

#16 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 12:44 PM

the'Hawk, on Jan 12 2004, 12:21 PM, said:

^ You know who I wanna sue? Rov. This place is so addictive that I'm breaking a promise to myself (specifically, to only use the Internet for non-evil purposes until after dinner) just so I can post this. :p

I blame Rov and this place for all my shortcomings. It's Rov's fault I don't have a social life. It's Rov's fault that I lost ten pounds this month! It's ROV'S FAULT that I AM SITTING HERE RIGHT NOW instead of GOING OUTSIDE and FREEZING MY ASS OFF in the CANADIAN WINTER and--- wait, scratch that last one. ;) That's a good thing. So clearly, Rov cannot be responsible for it! :lol:

His seductive creation --this blasted Isle of his, which I openly deride for its unlabeled addictive properties-- is the cause of all my misfortunes! I should call the Surgeon-General RIGHT NOW and request, nay DEMAND that this place be given consideration as a controlled substance! :D

And! Worst of all! The EI is twice as subversive and seductive as that nympho-Cylon, with none of the reproductive tradeoffs! Where's the love, I ask! And why ain't I gettin' any, besides the fact that I'm whiny and threaten lawsuits because I simply can't control myself enough to turn off the browser window!? :lol: You said there'd be Eowyn, Rov. Where's the Eowyn? Where. Is. My. Eowyn!?  :p

Ah, well. What else is on?

LMAO! I wouldn't sue Rov...His pockets aren't big enough for me. (No offense Rov.) I'd go after the BIG FISH....Al Gore! Since he supposedly has the patent on the Internet, I'd sue him. His pockets are much, much bigger... :p

#17 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 12:45 PM

I'd sue Al Gore, too.

Think about it. He'd win the case in court, but you'd still get a HUGE cash settlement! Thanks, Supreme Court!

#18 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 01:06 PM

LOL @ Hawk. Agreed about EI. I was tempted to post to the effect of "I'm addicted to the use of my computer; is there anyone I can sue for that?" ;)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#19 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 02:21 PM

I'm tempted to change my sig to "there's an imbecile born every second," given how often I've said it lately.  :wacko:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Addiction, TV, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users