• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:03 PM

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3926051/

During Press conferences he talks the talk...Says he's for Affirmative action (Which, to me, is discrimination against Whites) but, when it comes to actually *employing* a minority...apparently Dean sees that as something else entirely.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:07 PM

Isn't Dean from Vermont?

Isn't Sharpton getting desperate?

Isn't this going to just turn into the same "Dean is an IDIOT!" thread we've had once a week for the past three months anyway?

Isn't that funny.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:10 PM

“But I also think that was a low blow to attack him on his Cabinet, the people he chose to put around him versus his policies,” she said.

What the HELL???  Um, so who you hire is NOT reflective of your hiring policies???????   :wacko:
Posted Image

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:16 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 12 2004, 04:10 PM, said:

“But I also think that was a low blow to attack him on his Cabinet, the people he chose to put around him versus his policies,” she said.

What the HELL???  Um, so who you hire is NOT reflective of your hiring policies???????   :wacko:
I guess, in *The World according to Dean*, it isn't. All he needs now is to have Woody Allen as his running mate:

Dean: I'm not a racists, I just choose not to have any minorities on my cabinet.
Woody: I didn't committ incest, she's not my biological daughter.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:23 PM

Well in fairness, the above quote I posted  wasn't said by Dean but by someone objecting to the criticism.  Still Dean is reminding me of one of those ivory tower types who believes in low cost housing so long as it's not in their neighborhood...;)
Posted Image

#6 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:42 PM

So Sharpton has a problem with Dean's cabinet composition in VT.  He chooses to ignore the fact that minorities were employed by Dean on his personal staff, including his senior staff.

Sharpton said he was asking about the Cabinet, which has a small number of members.

“No, we did not,” conceded Dean, whose state has a population that is nearly 98 percent white.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3926051/

Lame.

The cabinet of VT is obviously going to be composed of VTers.  People tend not to like their state's senior offices filled with non-VTers.   It's potentially more insulting to minorities to have a token minority cabinet member dredged up from the negligible minority population of VT just to say, "Look, it's my minority cabinet member!"

But this didn't stop Sharpton, who then contended Dean had a duty to go out-of-state to fill VT's cabinet positions just to find a qualified person with a skin color more palatable to Sharpton. Of course by this time, Sharpton's silliness was becoming insufferable.  It even raised the ire of the only female african-american candidate in the field, Carol Moseley Braun, who accused Sharpton of attempting to instigate a “racial screaming match.”

The bottom line is Dean has more endorsements of more members of the Congressional Black Caucus and the Congressional Hispanic Caucus than any other presidential candidate.  Apparently they approve of Dean's track record on race and his policies on the subject.

Isn't this going to just turn into the same "Dean is an IDIOT!" thread we've had once a week for the past three months anyway?

You mean that isn't the primary purpose of Dean threads? ;)

Banapis

Edited by Banapis, 12 January 2004 - 04:52 PM.

#7 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:50 PM

Reverend Sharpton is really reaching with this one. And imo, it makes him look bad, not Dean, for his willingness to drag race relations into the debate in order to score points.
Per aspera ad astra

#8 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:11 PM

Kevin Street, on Jan 12 2004, 03:50 PM, said:

Reverend Sharpton is really reaching with this one. And imo, it makes him look bad, not Dean, for his willingness to drag race relations into the debate in order to score points.
That's so unusual for Sharpton.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#9 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:16 PM

^
Yeah, but that's what Al Sharpton does.  That's why his support tends to hover in the single digits.  I'm not rooting for any Democrats, of course, but most of them are at least theoretically qualified for the job, Sharpton being the exception.  Sharpton simply exists to play the race card.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#10 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:19 PM

Drew, on Jan 12 2004, 03:11 PM, said:

Kevin Street, on Jan 12 2004, 03:50 PM, said:

That's so unusual for Sharpton.  :cool:
As far as I'm concerned, Sharpton is one huge yawn.  :upside:

We all know Vernmont is a hugely populous state with an enormous number of minority residents.  :p Just pass Sharpton some maple syrup to pour on his um...bull patties.

Edited by Rhea, 12 January 2004 - 05:20 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#11 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:08 PM

Sharpton is a race baiter. This is par for course for his kind of tactics.

Via Vodkapundit, I like this suggestion:

You know what I wish Dean would have said? "Look, you race-hustler, Vermont is 98% white, and so was my administration. You know it, I know it, the voters know, and we all know that this party is going to self-destruct if it keeps on the path you're leading it on."

Agreed.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 12 January 2004 - 06:42 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#12 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,653 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:18 PM

While I decry Sharpton's race-baiting career, you had to love his comeback to the mention of all Dean's endorsements from minority groups: "If you're not in debt, you don't need co-signers."  ;)

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#13 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:24 PM

Banapis, on Jan 12 2004, 04:42 PM, said:

So Sharpton has a problem with Dean's cabinet composition in VT.  He chooses to ignore the fact that minorities were employed by Dean on his personal staff, including his senior staff.

Sharpton said he was asking about the Cabinet, which has a small number of members.

“No, we did not,” conceded Dean, whose state has a population that is nearly 98 percent white.
That's what I was getting at when I asked, "Isn't Dean from Vermont?"

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:19 PM

Well Sharpton as far as I know has not paid on the damages of the law suit he ,and woman ,who claimed to have been raped by white police officers lost in civil court.

So Sharpton doing anything to get news is not a surprise. But I can trust that most of the Democratic party will vote for Dean  despite him being a "ivory tower liberal."

My question is why?

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:23 PM

G1223, on Jan 12 2004, 06:19 PM, said:

My question is why?
Limited choices and an abhorrence for the Republican Platform on social issues like reproductive rights and separation of church and state.  

Lil
Posted Image

#16 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:54 PM

Those are my reasons to screen carefully.

My Problem with the Democrates is Cutting National Defense  increasing social spending with little to no oversight( Welloversight that will actually do it's job) and pandering to every fringe special interst group. (Excpet Christian Extreamests)

#17 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:09 PM

G1223, on Jan 12 2004, 07:19 PM, said:

...But I can trust that most of the Democratic party will vote for Dean  despite him being a "ivory tower liberal."

My question is why?
I think Dean will most likely get the Democratic nomination for a very simple reason: he can raise the most money.  (I think Yama said this best a few months ago.) Many Democrats might prefer another candidate - like, say, John Kerry - but in the end it all comes down to who has the best chance to win, and having money to spend gives a candidate that chance. So far, Dean has raised around forty million dollars for his campaign, while Kerry has only raised about ten million, so Dean will probably get the nod.

But Bush is going to raise at least two hundred million dollars before he's done, so it'll be a David vs. Goliath thing no matter which Democrat gets nominated. I say they should go with their hearts and get the guy who's best for the job.
Per aspera ad astra

#18 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:11 AM

Kevin Street, on Jan 13 2004, 03:09 AM, said:

G1223, on Jan 12 2004, 07:19 PM, said:

...But I can trust that most of the Democratic party will vote for Dean  despite him being a "ivory tower liberal."

My question is why?
I think Dean will most likely get the Democratic nomination for a very simple reason: he can raise the most money.  (I think Yama said this best a few months ago.) Many Democrats might prefer another candidate - like, say, John Kerry - but in the end it all comes down to who has the best chance to win, and having money to spend gives a candidate that chance. So far, Dean has raised around forty million dollars for his campaign, while Kerry has only raised about ten million, so Dean will probably get the nod.

But Bush is going to raise at least two hundred million dollars before he's done, so it'll be a David vs. Goliath thing no matter which Democrat gets nominated. I say they should go with their hearts and get the guy who's best for the job.
It's an odd juxtaposition.  Out of all the candidates, Kerry would probably make the best president, based on experience and accomplishments and temperment.  But he's an absolutely lousy campaigner and seems pretty much DOA as a candidate now.  Meanwhile, Dean has a worrying tendency to shoot off his mouth before thinking and his main experience is being a reasonably competent governor of a teeny-tiny postage stamp of a state.  But he (or more to the point, his manager Joe Trippi) has run an absolutely brilliant campaign, harnessed the Internet in an innovative way and built a really impressive grassroots support network across the country.  Unfortunately for the Dems, the strongest primary campaign this year doesn't belong to the strongest candidate for the general election.

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:27 AM

In other words, the democrats are screwed.
Posted Image

#20 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:33 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 12 2004, 10:27 PM, said:

In other words, the democrats are screwed.
I wouldn't bury them just yet.

A year ago, virtually nobody outside of Vermont had ever heard of Howard Dean. He literally flew alone to functions coach, because his campaign couldn't afford two tickets.

Now, I like Bush's chances-- and I think he has a better than even chance-- but conservative glee over Dean's likely nomination is probably misfounded. In politics, the most dangerous thing to do is to underestimate your opponent, and Dean is a fighter. If the economy is bad in November-- and, frankly, I have no idea what it's going to do-- Dean will definitely have a plank, although he'll need a candidate who can help win the south and/or has foreign policy experience. (Clark is the natural choice, but there's bad blood there... Edwards?).

It's Bush's race to lose, but he can still easily lose it. After all the pandering he's done, I'd almost say he deserves it.

Iowa is also up for grabs; Gephardt could sitll win it. Their percentages are within the margin of error.

I'm not expecting the blowout that everybody else is. We'll see, though. If Dean says some mind-bogglingly stupid things closer to the general, he may bury himself.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, Howard Dean, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users