#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:37 PM

http://www.cbsnews.c...ain594091.shtml

...a stern if not angry Howard Dean, told the media to “get a new life.”

Frankly, I think the overwhelming majority of Americans can sympathize. That's good for Dean.

What forum did he say it at, though?

At an event meant to mark the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.,...

M'kay, well, maybe that's not the best place...

Dean, who was not scheduled as one of the speakers, arrived with the national and local media waiting. The event had been posted on the media roster by his campaign.

A good political idea, except that you WEREN'T INVITED AND PUT IT ON YOUR MEDIA ROSTER, confirming your presence was primarily political.

“Dean came here and he was hoping that his henchmen would get the job done," said 26-year-old Seville Lee, who heads a mentoring program for at-risk youth in Des Moines. "He thought he was going to speak."

Uh huh. That, um, doesn't sound good...

“I’m offended that Dean would even try and do this,” said Lee, who organized a children’s play that day in honor of King. “He wasn’t scheduled to speak.

"If he wanted to come he could go sit down like everyone else.”

*Ouch*.

“Dean did not come there to speak, Dean’s national spokesman Jay Carson later said. "He came there to pay his respects, and he felt that the crush of the press was distracting and not showing the respect that Dr. King deserves.”

Organizers were left confused and frustrated, as the bulk of the media quickly followed Dean out of the auditorium.

“I think it was very disrespectful," said Donna Graves, who was on the planning committee for the commemoration ceremony. "The intent of today was not to look at Howard Dean.

See, if Dean hadn't posted it on his media roster, I could accept he just wanted to pay respects. As it is, regardless of his intent, this is-- perhaps-- the sloppiest caucus day politicking ever.

Zack is right. Dean is a dot com bubble that's ready to burst. I think he's self-destructing before our very eyes. It's amazing. You never know where the winds of fortune will take you...
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:14 PM

It's not his telling the media to get a life that's the problem, it's his cluelessness about the cause of the commotion (i.e., his stormtrooper entourage).   :wacko:

As I said in another thread, alas for my party. :(
Posted Image

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:16 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 19 2004, 03:14 PM, said:

It's not his telling the media to get a life that's the problem, it's his cluelessness about the cause of the commotion (i.e., his stormtrooper entourage).   :wacko:
Exactly, that's the part I said that was good. The only problem is his timing, place, and the context. But, um, other than that...
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:19 PM

Well I think it's stupid to tell the press to "get a life" but um, that stupidity is the least of his problems.  What could possibly possess ANYONE to think it appropriate to crash this event with a gaggle of goons?   The mind boggles.    :blink:
Posted Image

#5 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:24 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Jan 19 2004, 11:37 PM, said:

...a stern if not angry Howard Dean, told the media to “get a new life.”

Zack is right. Dean is a dot com bubble that's ready to burst. I think he's self-destructing before our very eyes. It's amazing. You never know where the winds of fortune will take you...

Once the people that owe the media their very existence start throwing dirt at it, you know they are going down. I just don't understand what triggered that now, when he needs them most. Was there any huge unfair campaign against him? If the media thing is not for him, it is a good idea for everyone involved that he quits now. A candidate that hates the media... and says so out loud... not the best political invention of the century. :p
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#6 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:38 PM

Enmar, on Jan 19 2004, 03:24 PM, said:

Was there any huge unfair campaign against him?
Sort of. Watching the media go after Howard Dean is kind of like watching a shark feeding frenzy. It just goes on and on, negativity feeding on itself, until the victim (Dean in this case, but a similar thing happened to Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez in the entertainment press last year) starts to struggle and make mistakes, then there's blood in the water and they really go nuts. It's not so much about truth, but is more about coordinated aggression, kind of like how the kids turn on Piggy in "Lord of The Flies."

Edited by Kevin Street, 19 January 2004 - 05:59 PM.

Per aspera ad astra

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:50 PM

Well I call it the Gary Hart syndrome™.  Hart had everything going for him and was poised to make a real run at the nomination.  But he thumbed his nose at the press and basically dared them to go after him.  The press obliged and lo and behold there was some dirty laundrey to air and Hart faded into obscurity.  The press isn't perfect by any means and I have serious issues with the way it abuses the First Amendment.  But it is the way it is for now and people like Hart and Dean know the rules going in.  It's all well and good to take a stand on something but if people like this would keep their eye on the big picture (instead of behaving like members of Mandau Pride) they'd do a lot better.

Lil
Posted Image

#8 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 06:53 PM

:Oo:

Media piling negativity and attacks on Dean, the biggest media darling since Clinton? You CAN'T be serious, can you? Oyf... having seen that claim made, I have now seen EVERYTHING.

#9 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, yeah, I know. Anything less than a firing squad is evidence of left-wing media bias. ;)

#10 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:10 PM

Their favoritism of one liberal Democrat (Dean) over 8 other liberal Democrats wouldn't exactly show a bias to the left or the right. It's just about their fawning over that individual.

Edited by Delvo, 19 January 2004 - 08:50 PM.

#11 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 07:16 PM

Actually, Dean's coverage by the networks has been sharply more negative than the competition, but this seems to be more an outgrowth of the cliquish nature of the Washington press corps (they don't call them the "Beltway heathers" for nothing) than any concerted effort to 'get Dean.'

http://www.cmpa.com/...el/EW200401.htm

Also, the New York Times' new public editor here does a review of the paper's Dean coverage over the months.

http://www.nytimes.c...print&position=

He concludes that while Dean's supporters complain way too much, some of the coverage did indeed cross the line into inappropriate editorializing.  

Of course, Dean does himself no favors with the perpetually aggrieved nature of his more cultlike supporters, who fill the in-boxes of anyone who dares say a word about their candidate that might be construed as negative.  Sometimes I find Dean's supporters more irritating than the candidate himself.  And that's saying something.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#12 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:57 PM

I saw that footage. The press were so intrusive during the memorial to Dr. King (trying to take pictures of Dean) that he left so that the service wouldn't be further disrupted.. And he very properly told them that they needed to get their priorities straight and stick to covering Dr. King and his amazing legacy - and he waited till he got outside to say it.

As for the rest, he was probably hoping for some yummy press coverage and it backfired in his face. Serves him right. Doesn't make the media's conduct any better, though.

In otherwords, here's my review for both Dean AND the media:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~P

Edited by Rhea, 20 January 2004 - 07:02 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:21 PM

Rhea, on Jan 20 2004, 03:57 PM, said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~P
*sigh*

You got it backwards:p

P~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, Howard Dean, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users