• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 09:39 PM

I swear, I gave up on this speech after 30 minutes into it.  What a frelling shame.
I have always hated this speech, no matter Dem or Republican saying it.  It's just for show, and I LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEE (sarcasm here!) the clapping and standing ovations every 20 seconds....

*I* could have written a more intelligent speech, and I'm only 16 in 11th grade.  Who the hell is this written for?  These are people who should have a strong enough education to grasp sophisticated language....

but what am I expecting from a president (and goverment overall) that is so moronic?

Heh.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#2 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 09:42 PM

So far, it does seem to be typical Bush, doesn't it?

I think he's only stuttered, what, three times? He's doing great!

#3 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 09:44 PM

Not sure what to tell you, Chipper.

Except that, understand that the country as a whole may or may not be as literate as you and I. There are people who like their politicians to talk *to* them, not *over* them.

And those applauding folks are part of the image, but at the core of it, the content still is what does or doesn't sell the State of the Union.

I didn't watch it (the hockey game vetoes all other programming when my dad's home), but I can tell you that the President's doing all he can both to make as many people happy as he can as a President, and as a Republican candidate for re-election in November. This speech was a big deal for him for both reasons. He had a lot to sell, and sometimes the smooth talk and the big words don't work with that.

Again, I didn't see that, I'm just going by what I think based on Chipper's comments, I may be wrong, and I can't help but think we'll continue this in OT momentarily.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 09:46 PM

I'm listening.  Lord almighty, WHAT world is this man living in?  NuTrance's bansai tree place?
Posted Image

#5 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 09:49 PM

^ With the regenerating limbs as well....  :rolleyes:

I'd root for Sharpton over him this year.... -- that's how bad it's gotten! ---

...........not that he would even have a shot at winning....

:p

Edited by Chipper, 20 January 2004 - 09:49 PM.

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:01 PM

"We must defend the sanctity of marriage".  HOMOPHOBIC BIGOTED ASSHOLIC BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

#7 ultraviolet

ultraviolet

photographer, aspiring sci-fi writer, photoshop artist

• Islander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:03 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 21 2004, 02:46 AM, said:

I'm listening.  Lord almighty, WHAT world is this man living in?  NuTrance's bansai tree place?
Lil, you and Rov could always MST the speech.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

#8 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:03 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 21 2004, 03:01 AM, said:

"We must defend the sanctity of marriage".  HOMOPHOBIC BIGOTED ASSHOLIC BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed.

Plus, giving money to churches? What about separation of church and state?

#9 parisindy

parisindy

Uglier then homemade soup

• Islander
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:05 PM

ooo amarican politics...
(parisindy backs slowly out of the thread)
Hope Lives again, serving the pro-Andromeda fandom!!
Totally DBD!

"God bless Einstein, but I had to boost his theory just a little."
-Harper, Decay of the Angel

Remember that a good friend will come and  bail you out of
jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
       "Damn...that was fun!"
Posted Image proud member of the Celtic Kelp... 7672.5 miles and counting Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#10 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:07 PM

He doesn't give a damn about separation of church and state.  Oh and next time he reads a letter, maybe he should be able to differentiate between "two" and "ten".  GEEEEEEEZ.

You know what sucks? America will love it.  They will lap it up like meek little dogs being tossed a bunch of empty bones.  No one will ask, "well that's nice but HOW?  And WHO is paying for this?  And what about separation of church and state?  And who the f*ck cares if two people want to get married and they aren't hurting anyone."  They'd rather be in denial in their little cocoons.  God this disgusts me.
Posted Image

#11 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:07 PM

Probably a smart move, paris.

I should probably go before I upset anybody....unless it's too late....

#12 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:11 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 21 2004, 03:07 AM, said:

You know what sucks? America will love it.  They will lap it up like meek little dogs being tossed a bunch of empty bones.  No one will ask, "well that's nice but HOW?  And WHO is paying for this?  And what about separation of church and state?  And who the f*ck cares if two people want to get married and they aren't hurting anyone."  They'd rather be in denial in their little cocoons.  God this disgusts me.
Actually, I always observe the opposite...everybody hates him, everybody doubts him...media goes nuts trying to villianize him....

Who do you know who "laps it up like meek little dogs?"

#13 Duke Jr

Duke Jr
  • Islander
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:40 PM

Lyric Z D, on Jan 20 2004, 10:03 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 21 2004, 03:01 AM, said:

"We must defend the sanctity of marriage".  HOMOPHOBIC BIGOTED ASSHOLIC BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed.
I agree also. I must have heard this wrong. If he dosn't get his way, he will push for an amendment to the Constitution? I think he's gone off the deep end.
Posted Image Come see the   Beka Writer's Community .  Readers and Writers welcome!!!  Posted Image

#14 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 11:08 PM

I am so glad I missed it...I so hate the feeling that I am going to throw up!!! :barf:
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 12:02 AM

I agree also. I must have heard this wrong. If he dosn't get his way, he will push for an amendment to the Constitution? I think he's gone off the deep end.

You didn't hear wrong.  It's unFREAKIN' believable.   :wacko:
Posted Image

#16 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 12:30 AM

My analysis. I'm only really commenting where I disagree, because it's more interesting that way. My apologies in advance if this is too bitter; I'm really fed up with Bush.

America this evening is a Nation called to great responsibilities. And we are rising to meet them.

For instance, I've pandered to three important election blocs in the past six months! Ask me how!

As we gather tonight, hundreds of thousands of American servicemen and women are deployed across the world in the war on terror. By bringing hope to the oppressed, and delivering justice to the violent, they are making America more secure.

Great. How about instead of yet another tax cut for the rich, we increase their pay and benefits?

Each day, law enforcement personnel and intelligence officers are tracking terrorist threats; analysts are examining airline passenger lists; the men and women of our new Homeland Security Department are patrolling our coasts and borders. And their vigilance is protecting America.

And you should see the collection of nail clippers they've confiscated from 80 year old grandmothers!

Tonight, Members of Congress can take pride in great works of compassion and reform that skeptics had thought impossible. You are raising the standards of our public schools;
Hrm. Well, test scores are up, but those are kind of iffy. And schools won't see meaningful improvement until they have to compete for students in a free market. However, since I'm right of the mainstream on that issue, I don't blame you for not trying.

and you are giving our senior citizens prescription drug coverage under Medicare.
... or maybe it was a massive subsidy to pharmaceutical companies. I always get those confused.

We have faced serious challenges together - and now we face a choice. We can go forward with confidence and resolve - or we can turn back to the dangerous illusion that terrorists are not plotting and outlaw regimes are no threat to us. We can press on with economic growth, and reforms in education and Medicare - or we can turn back to the old policies and old divisions.

We can setup massive false dichotomies, or we can eat pie!

Inside the United States, where the war began, we must continue to give homeland security and law enforcement personnel every tool they need to defend us. And one of those essential tools is the PATRIOT Act, which allows Federal law enforcement to better share information, to track terrorists, to disrupt their cells, and to seize their assets. For years, we have used similar provisions to catch embezzlers and drug traffickers.

And also use the patriot act to bring down strip clubs and petty thieves.  But hey, who's counting? And who decided to cite the War On Some Drugs™ as a paragon?

Some in this chamber, and in our country, did not support the liberation of Iraq. Objections to war often come from principled motives.

Kudos to Bush for saying that. It definitely contradicts the meme that Bush attacks the patriotism of everybody who disagrees with him.

We are seeking all the facts - already the Kay Report identified dozens of weapons of mass destruction-related program activities and significant amounts of equipment that Iraq concealed from the United Nations. Had we failed to act, the dictator's weapons of mass destruction programs would continue to this day.

Ehhhh-- not so much. The WMD program was practically stone-age. Pretending that it isn't an embarrassment isn't a wise strategy, largely because it's not fooling anybody. And, frankly, pretending it's not is rapidly becoming more embarrassing than the mistake itself.

Had we failed to act, Security Council resolutions on Iraq would have been revealed as empty threats, weakening the United Nations and encouraging defiance by dictators around the world.

Now Security Resolutions are just empty threats MOST of the time! Huzzah!

Some critics have said our duties in Iraq must be internationalized. This particular criticism is hard to explain to our partners in Britain, Australia, Japan, South Korea, the Philippines, Thailand, Italy, Spain, Poland, Denmark, Hungary, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Romania, the Netherlands, Norway, El Salvador, and the 17 other countries that have committed troops to Iraq.

They're talking about BOOTS on the GROUND. You know this.

There is a difference, however, between leading a coalition of many nations, and submitting to the objections of a few.

However, that's entirely true. "There's no UN mandate!" isn't exactly compelling, because there's no compelling reason the US needs 'permission' from France.

We also hear doubts that democracy is a realistic goal for the greater Middle East, where freedom is rare. Yet it is mistaken, and condescending, to assume that whole cultures and great religions are incompatible with liberty and self-government. I believe that God has planted in every heart the desire to live in freedom. And even when that desire is crushed by tyranny for decades, it will rise again.

Agreed. There's a definite element of arrogance to many of the, "Well, they just can't HANDLE democracy!" arguments.

Congress has some unfinished business on the issue of taxes. The tax reductions you passed are set to expire. Unless you act -- (applause) -- unless you act -- unless you act, the unfair tax on marriage will go back up. Unless you act, millions of families will be charged $300 more in federal taxes for every child. Unless you act, small businesses will pay higher taxes. Unless you act, the death tax will eventually come back to life. Unless you act, Americans face a tax increase. What Congress has given, the Congress should not take away. For the sake of job growth, the tax cuts you passed should be permanent.

M'kay. You cut taxes during a recession, which is good and Keynsian. But you have to raise them when things are going well, or the cycle doesn't work. You should know that. If the economy is still bad, then keep the cuts. If it's good, eliminate them. If it's still recovering, keep them for the short-term. In any case, it's folly to keep them forever.

Tonight, I also ask you to reform our immigration laws so they reflect our values and benefit our economy. I propose a new temporary worker program to match willing foreign workers with willing employers when no Americans can be found to fill the job. This reform will be good for our economy because employers will find needed workers in an honest and orderly system. A temporary worker program will help protect our homeland, allowing Border Patrol and law enforcement to focus on true threats to our national security.

If you want to change the law, change the law. Don't sneak up behind it with a knife.

A government-run health care system is the wrong prescription. (Applause.) By keeping costs under control, expanding access, and helping more Americans afford coverage, we will preserve the system of private medicine that makes America's health care the best in the world. (

You say that. I hope you mean it.

Activist judges, however, have begun redefining marriage by court order, without regard for the will of the people and their elected representatives. On an issue of such great consequence, the people's voice must be heard. If judges insist on forcing their arbitrary will upon the people, the only alternative left to the people would be the constitutional process. Our nation must defend the sanctity of marriage.

You know, the onetime we tried to amend the constitution based purely on morality, it backfired. Badly. Aside from that, there's no way you're going to get 3/4 of the state legislatures, or 3/4 of congress, and you know it. You're just pandering. As usual. STOP.

Gah. I'll do more when I can overcome my disgust.

Bush contintues to be the most exasperating fusion of outright stupidity and occasionally brilliant vision.

C'mon Edwards!
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#17 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 12:31 AM

Moving this to Ot, btw.... if that's a problem, let me know, but this seems decidedly political.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#18 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 12:34 AM

And if I hear one more reference to HOMELAND SECURITY I will teach people a new meaning to Godwinizing a thread.  With a little ORWELL thrown in.  :wacko:
Posted Image

#19 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 12:35 AM

Best photo from the State of the Union ever.  Example of CNN's liberal bias or merely a wonderful coincidence?

atrios.blogspot.com/2004_01_18_atrios_archive.html#107465941557233868
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#20 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 12:53 AM

LOL! :devil:

And welcome back to OT, everybody. :)
Per aspera ad astra

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, State of the Union Speech, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users