#21 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:03 AM

ROFL Zack
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#22 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:04 AM

And you should see the collection of nail clippers they've confiscated from 80 year old grandmothers!

LMAO!

Sigworthy, that is.... may I? ;) :devil:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#23 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:05 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jan 20 2004, 09:31 PM, said:

Moving this to Ot, btw.... if that's a problem, let me know, but this seems decidedly political.
Thanks Rov, I was thinking that too, just have been having lots of problems getting pages loaded!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#24 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:07 AM

I think my fave part about Zack's link is that it advertises Buffy and Angel.   :devil:
Posted Image

#25 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:10 AM

Anakam, on Jan 20 2004, 11:04 PM, said:

And you should see the collection of nail clippers they've confiscated from 80 year old grandmothers!

LMAO!

Sigworthy, that is.... may I? ;) :devil:
Go ahead. :D.

And APOTS GiGi. :cool:.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#26 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:39 AM

It looks like I'm not alone.

Andrew Sullivan is right of myself.. I think "center right" would be the appropriate term, although the main exception is that he's a big supporter of gay rights. (He's gay himself, actually).

http://www.andrewsul...466119356062536

If you're a fiscal conservative or a social liberal, this was a speech that succeeded in making you take a second look at the Democrats. I sure am.

I love American politics. There's been a radical shift in fortune in the past two weeks. I have no idea what November is going to look like, but it's going to be a wild ride.

#27 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:48 AM

Not word one concerning his Moon/Mars initiative.

But a wise man said that absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence.

But a recent poll had a majority not wanting to go to the Moon or Mars.

Oh well.

-cs™

Edited by Smitty, 21 January 2004 - 01:49 AM.

#28 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:49 AM

Just making sure of something are those who might be upposed to the gay marriage issue are they going to be bashed?  I get the impression that they are indeed going to be.  I thought this was a country where these issues were talked about and then decided at the ballot box. If I am correct then maybe some starting here might be a good idea.

I personally do not see a problem about giving equal access to marriage. I do feel that anyone speaking about such an issue from the point of view of it being wrong is just as entitled as those who support it without being bashed for it. I accept that this needs to be worked out at a state by state level I also accept that there will be hotly contested issue but to go after anyone who supports either position is wrong.

#29 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:03 AM

Smitty, on Jan 20 2004, 11:48 PM, said:

Not word one concerning his Moon/Mars initiative.

But a wise man said that absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence.

But a recent poll had a majority not wanting to go to the Moon or Mars.

Oh well.
There are polls that show a majority of people think Elvis is alive, or that the government is covering up evidence of crashed UFOs. Statistics only tell part of the story. And an awful lot depends upon how the question is asked. If the pollster asks something like "Do you think we should go to the moon instead of improving Medicare?", people will probably say "Heck no!" But if you ask something like "Do you think we should make a return to the Moon and a trip to Mars a national goal?" many people would probably be in favour of it.

Imo, the moon/mars initiative is great idea. Probably the best idea this Administration has ever had. I really want to believe that Bush is sincere about this. But...

#30 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:23 AM

This speech was going on as I was getting off work, so I heard bits of the last 20 or so minutes. Only bits, because I frankly had to keep turning it off and spending the time talking to someone who was worth listening to, IMHO.

Yeah, no Moon/Mars initiative. I already don't believe his ideas here -- I'm a space exploration advocate since practically forever, but my skepticism about this amazes me. Yeah, you can really afford a major mission like this when we're doing the War Without End thing; how are you going to *finance* it? How are you going to finanace *anything*?

I just don't want to listen to Bush any longer. I've never much liked him (though I spent about 2 months in 2001, post-9/11, feeling oddly impressed by him), and don't trust him at all since his meeting with Vicente Fox of Mexico to legalize all the illegal aliens, basically act as if the US/Mexico border means nothing. I'd hope it was political suicide, except I'm not sure I like any of the Democrat candidates...

(Oh, combining the ideas of financing the space mission and the illegal aliens... I hit on this idea, then read a Letter to the Editor in a newspaper saying pretty much the same thing a few days later, which amused me. Perhaps we should outsource all the space jobs to India or some other cheap-labor place, such as is happening to practically everything, and use illegal aliens for our astronauts? :crazy: ;) )
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#31 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:28 AM

Well it will take a world effort to be honest.  It will mean finishing and making practical  Freedom Station.

#32 ultraviolet

ultraviolet

photographer, aspiring sci-fi writer, photoshop artist

• Islander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:49 AM

I wish the Republicians would split in two because I rather vote for a moderdate Republican (if there was a moderte Republican party) than a Democrat, but the regular Republicans (the ultra-conservative ones) I find I disagree with alot where I tend to agree with moderate Republicans who are the middle of the line between the Republicans and Democrats.   Sci-Fi fans could always unite and nominate Babylon 5 actor Jerry Doyle as a write-in candidate for president (Jerry ran for house of representives in California just a few years back and lost unfortunately.   I agreed with all of his stances since he was a moderate Republican and I rather see Jerry Doyle running the country than Bush or Kerry (God help is the Democrats nominate him for Presidential candidate)).

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

#33 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:56 AM

Lyric Z D, on Jan 20 2004, 10:03 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 21 2004, 03:01 AM, said:

"We must defend the sanctity of marriage".  HOMOPHOBIC BIGOTED ASSHOLIC BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed.

Plus, giving money to churches? What about separation of church and state?
About the sanctity of marriage BS...I have to agree with Lil. About your question of seperation of Church and State....You don't think he follows that, do you? This is Bush we're talking about.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#34 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:57 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 21 2004, 12:34 AM, said:

And if I hear one more reference to HOMELAND SECURITY I will teach people a new meaning to Godwinizing a thread.  With a little ORWELL thrown in.  :wacko:
LMAO! I simply have to do this...it's the principle....LOL.

HOMELAND SECURITY

*Runs out of the thread before Lil can smite him, laughing evilly*
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#35 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:58 AM

ultraviolet:
Sci-Fi fans could always unite and nominate Babylon 5 actor Jerry Doyle as a write-in candidate for president (Jerry ran for house of representives in California just a few years back and lost unfortunately. I agreed with all of his stances since he was a moderate Republican and I rather see Jerry Doyle running the country than Bush or Kerry (God help is the Democrats nominate him for Presidential candidate)).

Heh, I'm watching a Babylon 5 DVD right now, so your idea is putting some very weird images into my head. :alien:

G1223:
Well it will take a world effort to be honest. It will mean finishing and making practical Freedom Station.

You're absolutely right, G. And it would be wonderful if we all did get together to do this. That would be a real path towards a hopeful future. International cooperation towards achieving a huge goal that's just beyond our reach. And once we reached Mars, what else might we do next...

:)

Edited by Kevin Street, 21 January 2004 - 03:00 AM.

Per aspera ad astra

#36 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 03:04 AM

Gack, no.  The world needs one or two countries to actually lead the way before this actually gets done.  For one thing for it to even have a chance to survive the bickering and diplomacy, not to mention national budget cuts, involved in an international effort, they need to at least have something working first so that no one can say that it's impossible when it runs overschedule and overbudget, as it will.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#37 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 03:22 AM

Okay, let's defend the 'sanctity' of marriage. Let's get rid of 24-hour chapels where people like Spears can get married on a whim. It's ironic that she can get a marriage and an annulment on the spur of the moment while two people committed to each other have to go to Canada.

Edited by QuantumFlux, 21 January 2004 - 03:25 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#38 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 04:10 AM

Kevin Street, on Jan 21 2004, 01:58 AM, said:

ultraviolet:
Sci-Fi fans could always unite and nominate Babylon 5 actor Jerry Doyle as a write-in candidate for president (Jerry ran for house of representives in California just a few years back and lost unfortunately. I agreed with all of his stances since he was a moderate Republican and I rather see Jerry Doyle running the country than Bush or Kerry (God help is the Democrats nominate him for Presidential candidate)).

Heh, I'm watching a Babylon 5 DVD right now, so your idea is putting some very weird images into my head. :alien:
NOOOOOOO! We just escaped from under the heel of President Clark a few years ago! Let's not let B5 near the Presidency again!

The current Republican Party, ultra-conservative extremists? Ya right. Pick 10 Congressional decisions at random from the last 20 years and count how many from either party "broke ranks". The RINOs outnumber the DINOs by a ratio of several to one, easily, even when the Republicans are the minority. Liberal measures always have almost complete Democrat support and a significant number of Republicans too, while conservative measures seldom get more than 4/5 of the Republicans behind it. No, what we've got is a hardcore leftist party (Democrats) and a mildly liberal or centrist party (Republicans) that just keeps getting called ultra-super-mega-hyper-extremist-right-wingtip by the other party just for not being hardcore leftists like them.

#39 Kosh III

Kosh III
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 10:47 AM

Lyric Z D, on Jan 20 2004, 09:11 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Jan 21 2004, 03:07 AM, said:

You know what sucks? America will love it.  They will lap it up like meek little dogs being tossed a bunch of empty bones.  No one will ask, "well that's nice but HOW?  And WHO is paying for this?  And what about separation of church and state?  And who the f*ck cares if two people want to get married and they aren't hurting anyone."  They'd rather be in denial in their little cocoons.  God this disgusts me.
Actually, I always observe the opposite...everybody hates him, everybody doubts him...media goes nuts trying to villianize him....

Who do you know who "laps it up like meek little dogs?"
Any of the mindless reich-wing avowed "Christians."   Like posters on Theologyonline or Jery Foulmouth....er...Falwell or Judge Moore.

#40 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 11:07 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jan 21 2004, 12:30 AM, said:

My apologies in advance if this is too bitter; I'm really fed up with Bush.
That was some good 'Hawking up there, Rov.

I'm proud of you. You should be.

:cool:

Edited by the 'Hawk, 21 January 2004 - 11:09 AM.

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, State of the Union Speech, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users