10 replies to this topic

#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:52 AM

Hey all,

Yesterday evening late the BBC reported that a woman had joked abouit having a bomb in her backpack in Miami airport and had been arrested. That assertion was repeated this morning,

but i can't find it anywhere, not bbc, not cnn, not google news for heavens sake.

Am i just looking in the wrong place or is this particular story being buried for some reason?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:57 AM

You can find the story here, here, here, or here. Doing a google news search for the name-- "Samantha Marson"-- will turn up far more.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 21 January 2004 - 01:58 AM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:58 AM

well, that rather conclusively answer my question about wether i'm looking in the wrong place. :p thanks Rov

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:00 AM

Godeskian, on Jan 20 2004, 11:58 PM, said:

thanks Rov
APOTS.

As a general rule, it's easier to use VERY general terms to find the story you want.

For instance, to find this story I went to google news and typed miami +airport.

The very first article had the name, and then I googled that. From there, it was broken pretty wide open. Just a general technique that helps me quite a lot.

-- Rov

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:01 AM

British officials were today planning to meet a student who faces up to 15 years in a US jail after allegedly joking that she was taking bombs aboard an aircraft.

Okay, i'll be the first to admit that telling folks 'i've got three bombs in my bag' is amongst the very stupidest things you could do these days, but i have to ask, considering she didn't actually have a bomb, is 15 years in jail really justice?

Defy Gravity!

#6 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:03 AM

Godeskian, on Jan 21 2004, 12:01 AM, said:

Okay, i'll be the first to admit that telling folks 'i've got three bombs in my bag' is amongst the very stupidest things you could do these days, but i have to ask, considering she didn't actually have a bomb, is 15 years in jail really justice?
Agreed.

She should just lose her plane ticket-- which she did, by being detained-- and move on with her life. I sincerely hope that sanity prevails in this case...

#7 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:57 AM

15 years...well no.  But she should lose more than her plane ticket for that.  We're talking about the reason that filing a false police report is also a crime, it wastes time and resources for nothing.  It seems like too many people these days are thinking that it's particularly witty to sneak things on to planes or make very stupid jokes about having bombs.  

Oh and if she's a student at an actual college, she should be expelled for complete lack of mental credentials to attend an institution of higher learning.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#8 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 07:26 AM

The last time I was in an airport, a couple months ago, there were big signs all over the inspection area saying that joking about having bombs, weapons, etc. is a federal offense.  She really should know better.

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#9 Munrock

Munrock

As for the monkey there is a wood

• Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 06:53 PM

15 years is a bit much, but if it happens it'll only happen once.  No one would be daft enough to try it again.

But most of this airport security stuff is a farce.  You could write a book on the number of ways to get makeshift weapons onto a plane through the security holes that are still around, and at the end of the day even if a hijacker had a gun he'd have to deal with a plane load of suicide soldiers determined to stop him.
Lies: the real WMDs

"When minds have fed on falsehood for generations, these falsehoods constitute a prison from which it is difficult and painful to break out."
-Renato Constantino

#10 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 07:27 PM

Uncle Sid, on Jan 21 2004, 12:57 AM, said:

15 years...well no.  But she should lose more than her plane ticket for that.  We're talking about the reason that filing a false police report is also a crime, it wastes time and resources for nothing.  It seems like too many people these days are thinking that it's particularly witty to sneak things on to planes or make very stupid jokes about having bombs. 

Oh and if she's a student at an actual college, she should be expelled for complete lack of mental credentials to attend an institution of higher learning.
Yes, they're stupid. Yes, they waste time. But in a world where a child molester can go to jail for 4 months and be free, and a woman who kills one person and turns another into a vegetable driving drunk can get off scot free, I can't for the life of me understand WHY the state or the feds should waste our tax dollars prosecuting the terminally stupid. She should not have joked. She did not have a bomb, and she is not a terrorist. Bleah.  :wacko:

I prefer my tax dollars be spent on something more productive.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#11 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 07:35 PM

Oh I think that child molesters like that dude need to get some serious alternative sentencing, like being tied to the gratings and flogged around the fleet... the entire US Navy, that is.  Just because one dumb DA is letting off some dumbass TV loser doesn't mean that another prosecutor shouldn't do their job.  This girl might not seem to be doing anything that bad to you, but she's contributing to making a hard job, perhaps even an impossible job, even harder.  I sincerely hope I don't have to remind you of what happens when airport security cannot do their job.  

Yeah, she's no child molester, but she needs a few weeks in the county jail to think about it real hard.

Edited by Uncle Sid, 22 January 2004 - 07:38 PM.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Florida, Miami Airport, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users