56 replies to this topic

#21 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 08:44 PM

Go Cait! You rock!

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#22 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 12:44 AM

Lover of Purple, on Jan 21 2004, 07:46 PM, said:

I agree 150% Until we hold our judges accountable for their decisions nothing will change.
I should've known better then to open this thread, I really should've. I saw the title, but wasn't familiar with the actor's name...

Of all the lame brained....

I'm getting too worked up to really post about this right now. Suffice it to say both this monster, and the Judge and DA who LET him go should all be facing the frelling death penalty.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#23 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 12:56 AM

Justice isn't blind...

It is also easy for a celebrity to be castigated in the court of public opinion by virtue of their public image.  In the case of (for instance) the denizens of Neverland - I don't know if money will overcome the disadvantages of MJ's overall bizarreness in recent years.  Or, if found innocent, we will actually believe it.

While I agree that celebrity IS an issue in this culture - I don't find that that is the real problem here.  Of course, I seem to be on a role with redefining problems.  The entire plea bargaining system is one that needs MASSIVE overhauling as it steals from the public the right of justice.  And it isn't just celebrities who plea bargain.  Lots of youth find themselves plea bargaining at the suggestion of public defenders who aren't interested in their cases - guilty or not, it's easier to serve some time than to serve "hard time."  This logic persists - and is as much the cause of injustice to the public interest as it is to injustice to the actual defendant, in many cases.  

Some here decry the "9 month max" sentence, forgetting that this was a plea bargain.  In a trial - this would not have been the maximum sentence, as the charges filed were more serious than the charges plead.  In another thread, many decried the "creative" sentencing of a drunk driver who plead guilty to lesser charges than what she was guilty of.  And yet - how ELSE would justice have been served for the loss of life?  

Creative sentencing SHOULD be the wave of the future - I believe it is the answer to the plea bargaining MESS that we have here.  How would anyone have felt if in addition to his low sentence, this creep were castrated?  Cruel and unusual?  So say some.  Just? I say yes.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#24 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:05 AM

Well lacking anything we can do except maybe this. Jill you are somewhat in the know about actors and what projects they are on.  What I propose is this. a writing campaign. Jill when you hear of the guy being considered or even picked up for a role let us know. We then write off a bunch of letters to show and the advertisers letting them know who and exactly what they have as an employee or the employee of a show they advertise with.

Denis Miller said itbest. about the OJ trial and I admit this is paraphrasing.

If he's guilty We are the jails walls and bars.

So who is up to ruin this guy's life?

BTW count me in.

#25 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:14 AM

While I agree that celebrity IS an issue in this culture - I don't find that that is the real problem here. Of course, I seem to be on a role with redefining problems. The entire plea bargaining system is one that needs MASSIVE overhauling as it steals from the public the right of justice. And it isn't just celebrities who plea bargain. Lots of youth find themselves plea bargaining at the suggestion of public defenders who aren't interested in their cases - guilty or not, it's easier to serve some time than to serve "hard time." This logic persists - and is as much the cause of injustice to the public interest as it is to injustice to the actual defendant, in many cases.

Perhaps in other cases celebrity status isn't taken into consideration much, which I think isn't true BTW. But in *this* case it most certainly was.

Do you think, for one second, that the DA would've offered this same deal to your lower class child molester? One who worked at a factory? What if that child molester said: "I can't serve more then 4 months, because it'll hurt my chances at getting another factory job if I'm unemployeed for too long?! And do you honestly think the Judge would've signed off on it...Hell NO! The only possible reason I can see for the Judge and DA doing this, is that both of them were bribed. That's the only explanation that makes sense, IMO.

as for the comment:This logic persists - and is as much the cause of injustice to the public interest as it is to injustice to the actual defendant, in many cases.

Your right there. That's why we *need* to find a way to hold Judges accountable for their decisions.

In another thread, many decried the "creative" sentencing of a drunk driver who plead guilty to lesser charges than what she was guilty of. And yet - how ELSE would justice have been served for the loss of life?

Creative sentencing SHOULD be the wave of the future - I believe it is the answer to the plea bargaining MESS that we have here. How would anyone have felt if in addition to his low sentence, this creep were castrated? Cruel and unusual? So say some. Just? I say yes.

If he's guilty, then yes I would say castrating him would be Justice...and a service to society in general. However, what if he's not guilty? (And for the record I think he is)

What happens the next time, and the man accused is innocent. How do you replace what was lost from castration? You can't.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#26 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:15 AM

G1223, on Jan 22 2004, 01:05 AM, said:

Denis Miller said itbest. about the OJ trial and I admit this is paraphrasing.

If he's guilty We are the jails walls and bars.

So who is up to ruin this guy's life?

BTW count me in.
Count me in.

#27 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:17 AM

Remember - LoTS - the man PLEAD his way into this cushy deal (as did the woman who has to carry around the morbid picture).  The problem is plea bargaining.  If you plea - you should have some REAL consequences to face.  It should be way more preferable to be tried by a jury of your peers.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#28 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:21 AM

QueenTiye, on Jan 22 2004, 01:17 AM, said:

Remember - LoTS - the man PLEAD his way into this cushy deal (as did the woman who has to carry around the morbid picture).  The problem is plea bargaining.  If you plea - you should have some REAL consequences to face.  It should be way more preferable to be tried by a jury of your peers.

QT
I agree with you there...Plea Bargains are the problem...However, they aren't the only ones. Plea Bargains wouldn't be the problem if it wasn't for moronic DA's who make the offers to the Defense lawyers.

#29 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:21 AM

Folks we cannot do a thing physically to him withoput facing the possibility of going to jail. If it were my family it would be a done deal but it's not. This pisses me off and that he got a deal at all bothers me.  But if the guy cannot get the role he must be up for and knows it's because he did this. It will hurt If he is unable to get work everagain it hurts even more.

#30 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:23 AM

G1223, on Jan 21 2004, 10:05 PM, said:

Well lacking anything we can do except maybe this. Jill you are somewhat in the know about actors and what projects they are on.  What I propose is this. a writing campaign. Jill when you hear of the guy being considered or even picked up for a role let us know. We then write off a bunch of letters to show and the advertisers letting them know who and exactly what they have as an employee or the employee of a show they advertise with.
Frankly, I don't think (and maybe I'm putting WAY too much faith in Hollywood) that anyone would knowingly hire this guy.  On the other hand, someone keeps commissioning Victor Salva, a convicted child molester, to make movies (Powder, Jeepers Creepers 1 & 2).  Starring young boys.  And Roman Polanski is lauded constantly by the elite.

So what the hell do I know.  :(

I will also say that as this case isn't getting that much publicity, his agent may 'neglect to mention' it when sending Bairstow in for future auditions.  It's been done.  And it's horrible for the producers who don't find out until afterwards that they've been duped.  :(

So many choices by Hollywood, so I sure as heck don't understand them...  :(

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#31 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:25 AM

Just another rant before I call it a night and hit the sack.

What I would really love to see happen is for the Judge's home phone, and the DA's home phone, to be put across the internet for all the world to see. Attach both their phone numbers to the story and send it out...If they change their numbers...post the new numbers. Let these idiots deal with people calling them all day long, to tell them just what idiots they are.

GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

*LotS leaves the thread before he really looses his temper*

#32 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:27 AM

Jill I know you would not feel happy about getting into this but you are at least able to see something we cannot.

#33 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:36 AM

G1223, on Jan 21 2004, 10:27 PM, said:

Jill I know you would not feel happy about getting into this but you are at least able to see something we cannot.
G, I don't see anything other than what you guys see. I read the same news sites as you do.  But not everybody reads all the articles.  That's why I had to post about this one, because no one else had.

So many articles, so little time...

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#34 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:48 AM

One of the problems is we are a forgiving society. Another is we just don't send these people to jail and not let them out. Her name escapes me, but the woman in North Dakota(sp) was allegedly abducted by a three-time convicted felon of sex crimes. And he got out. He did his time. Didn't matter. He's now up for murder.

How about this "man" get 4 months for every day of those 3 years he molested her. By my calculations, that's 1095 days X 4 months = 4380 months. Divided by 12, that equals 360 YEARS. That's the LEAST he should get.

She was his wife's family. So she was his family.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#35 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 11:37 AM

writergroupie, on Jan 22 2004, 01:23 AM, said:

So what the hell do I know.  :(
Lots and lots and lots and lots.

It's so not you. It's them. I like to think we're proof it's them.

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#36 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:43 PM

the'Hawk, on Jan 22 2004, 08:37 AM, said:

writergroupie, on Jan 22 2004, 01:23 AM, said:

So what the hell do I know.  :(
Lots and lots and lots and lots.

It's so not you. It's them. I like to think we're proof it's them.

Thanks Hawk and everyone else who posted here for the sanity check.  Somedays I just wonder.

"If there's nothing wrong with me... maybe there's something wrong with the universe..." -- Beverly Crusher, TNG

I think I just found me a sig for this week...

So many issues, so little sense...

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

-- Me (on bonsai)

#37 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 05:56 PM

To everything spin, spin, spin, there is a publicist to spin, spin, spin...

http://entertainment...spx?news=146858

choice quotes:

Bairstow originally was charged with second-degree child rape but entered a modified guilty plea last month to a reduced charge of second-degree assault. Bairstow, who has been in the Snohomish County Jail since Dec. 5, could be freed in 37 days with credit for time served and good behavior, authorities said.
Time served and good behavior.  Of course.

Bairstow, who appeared on Fox's "Party of Five" in 1998 and 1999, also was ordered to undergo a sexual deviancy evaluation and 12 months of supervision after his release.
Well, that'll make it all better then.

Deputy Prosecutor Janice Albert had asked for a six-month jail sentence; the defense wanted three months.
Oh, then everyone must have been happy with the compromise.  Except maybe the child who was repeatedly raped, emotionally blackmailed and forced to participate in phone sex with this guy and whose life was forever changed.

Prosecutors said the girl, a relative of Bairstow's wife, told authorities she had sex with Bairstow in 1998, when she was 12, and three more times outside Washington state, most recently in 2001.
'The girl told authorities'...  Now why does this article seem to imply the girl was making it up and the actor was wrongfully accused?  Hmm, could it be because they forgot to mention the tapes of him trying to blackmail her into not talking about their sexual relationship???  Or the times he tried to entice her with phone sex???  Or how he clearly wanted to maintain the 'relationship'???  Oh, and my favorite part of the article?  The headline.  Was it "Actor Repeatedly Rapes 12 Year Old But Only Gets 4 Month Sentence"?  How about "Scott Bairstow: Child Molester"?  No?  What is the headline?  "'Party of Five' Actor Sentenced in Attack".  So anyone scanning the headlines, even if they know who the guy is, thinks he was in some bar brawl, ignores it and moves on to the next headline.  SENTENCED IN ATTACK???  SENTENCED IN ATTACK???

Excuse me while I go puke.  And so begins the spin.

So many lies, so much time...

Jill
I write, therefore I am.

-- Me (on bonsai)

#38 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 06:08 PM

writergroupie, on Jan 22 2004, 11:43 AM, said:

So many issues, so little sense...

Jill
I'll join you. :barf: :barf:

And don't even get me started on child molestation by *anyone* who is an authority figure in a child's life and how absolutely reprehensible it is. As far as I'm concerned, these people belong in the lowest level of hell - preferrably being raped themselves while in the body of a child so they get a taste of their own medicine.

Edited by Rhea, 22 January 2004 - 06:08 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#39 Airhead

Airhead
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 09:45 PM

I know it doesn't mean much, but it sounds like he may already have lost work.

The Hollywood Reporter:

Eric Mabius has been added to the cast of Showtime's upcoming drama series "The L Word" (formerly "Earthlings"). Mabius joins Mia Kirshner, Jennifer Beals, Laurel Holloman and Pam Grier on the show about the lives and loves of a group of West Hollywood women, most of them lesbians. He is replacing Scott Bairstow in the series, set to premiere in January.

#40 parisindy

parisindy

Uglier then homemade soup

• Islander
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 10:34 PM

well that's not cool at all
Hope Lives again, serving the pro-Andromeda fandom!!
Totally DBD!

"God bless Einstein, but I had to boost his theory just a little."
-Harper, Decay of the Angel

Remember that a good friend will come and  bail you out of
jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
       "Damn...that was fun!"
Posted Image proud member of the Celtic Kelp... 7672.5 miles and counting Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rape, Child Molestation, Scott Bairstow

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users