Immigration Media Poetry

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 11:43 AM

I received this is an email, and thought I share it with everyone here. I'm posting it here, because IMO, it deals with a current issue...and a political crisis.

Illegal Immigrants Poem

I cross ocean,

poor and broke,

Take bus,

see employment folk.

Nice man treat me

good in there,

Say I need to

see welfare.

Welfare say,

"You come no more,

We send cash

right to your door."

Welfare checks,

they make you wealthy,

Medicaid it keep

you healthy!

By and by,

I got plenty money,

Thanks to you,

American dummy.

Write to friends

in motherland,

Tell them 'come

fast as you can.'

They come in turbans

and Ford trucks,

I buy big house

with welfare bucks

They come here,

we live together,

More welfare checks,

it gets better!

Fourteen families,

they moving in,

But neighbor's patience wearing thin.

Finally, white guy

moves away,

Now I buy his house,

and then I say,

"Find more aliens

for house to rent."

And in the yard

I put a tent.

Send for family

they just trash,

But they, too,

draw the welfare cash!

Everything is

very good,

And soon we

own the neighborhood.

We have hobby --

it's called breeding,

Welfare pay

for baby feeding.

Kids need dentist?

Wife need pills?

We get free!

We got no bills!

American crazy!

He pay all year,

To keep welfare

running here.

We think America

darn good place!

Too darn good for

the white man race.

If they no like us,

they can scram,

Got lots of room in

Pakistan.

SEND THIS TO EVERY AMERICAN

TAXPAYER

YOU KNOW

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 11:51 AM

This is racist bullcrap.  I'm disappointed to see it posted here.  And sorry to see anyone of my acquaintance sympathizing.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 12:07 PM

May be offensive to "some"?

Anyway, I remember when this particular line of bull was about Mexico, rather than Pakistan.

I wonder if the new version marks an increasing acecptance of Mexican immigration, or simply a decreasing tolerance for Arabs?

Ah, here's the original Mexico version:

<Original as far as I know, anyway>

My AMERICA by JUAN MARTINEZ

I COME FOR VISIT, GET TREATED REGAL, SO I STAY, WHO CARE
ILLEGAL.  CROSS THE BORDER, POOR AND BROKE, TAKE THE BUS,
SEE CUSTOM BLOKE. NICE MAN TREAT ME GOOD IN THERE, SAY I
NEED TO SEE WELFARE.  WELFARE CHECKS, THEY MAKE YOU
WEALTHY, MEDICAID IT KEEP YOU HEALTHY.  BY AND BY, I GOT
PLENTY MONEY, THANKS AMERICAN WORKING DUMMY.  WRITE TO
FRIENDS IN MOTHERLAND, TELL THEM TO COME AS FAST AS THEY
CAN.  THEY COME IN BUSES AND CHEVY TRUCKS, I BUY BIG
HOUSE WITH WELFARE BUCKS.  FOURTEEN FAMILIES ALL MOVE IN,
NEIGHBOR'S PATIENCE GROWING THIN.  FINALLY WHITE GUY MOVES
AWAY, I BUY THIS HOUSE AND THEN I SAY, FIND MORE ALIENS,
HOUSE I RENT, IN THE GARDEN PUT A TENT. EVERYTHING IS
MUCHO GOOD, SOON WE OWN THE NEIGHBORHOOD.  SEND FOR FAMILY
THEY JUST TRASH, BUT THEY ALL DRAW MORE WELFARE CASH.  WE
HAVE HOBBY, IT'S CALLED BREEDING, WELFARE PAY FOR BABY
FEEDING.  KIDS NEED DENTIST, WIFE NEED PILLS?  WE GET FREE,
WE GOT NO BILLS.  AMERICAN CRAZY, HE PAY ALL YEAR, TO KEEP
HIS WELFARE RUNNING HERE. WE THINK AMERICA, DAMM GOOD PLACE,
TOO DAMM GOOD FOR WHITE-MAN RACE.  IF THEY NO LIKE US, THEY
CAN GO, GOT LOTS OF ROOM IN MEXICO!

With this charming byline :

This message is brought to you by "STUDENTS AGAINST THE BROWN PERIL."

<It's possibley they just distributed; I can't track down original authorship>

Source: http://www.eece.unm....w/unmflyer.html

The poem has also been politically problematic at least one instance: http://www.madison.c...ories/54012.php

Much as I have my own quarrels with the way this country handles illegal immigration, this is silly. At best.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 12:49 PM

How about may be offensive to all?  :glare:

We have a terrible illegal immigrant problem in California, and I emphatically wish they would all go back where they came from, but this kind of racist drivel makes me sick to my stomach.

Can anybody explain to me why some people have to have a minority to hate? Does it make them feel superior? Are they scared sh*tless? WHHAAAAAT?

If it's not Jews, it's African Americans. If it's not African Americans, it's Muslims. If it's not Muslims, it's Hispanics.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Edited by Rhea, 24 January 2004 - 12:53 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#5 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:11 PM

((((((((((((((((Rhea))))))))))))))))))

You always claim Cardie's more articulate than you are, but you hit the nail on the head for ME quite frequently.

Yuck.

Kathy  :angry:
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#6 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:19 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Jan 24 2004, 05:07 PM, said:

May be offensive to "some"?

Anyway, I remember when this particular line of bull was about Mexico, rather than Pakistan.

I wonder if the new version marks an increasing acecptance of Mexican immigration, or simply a decreasing tolerance for Arabs?
Pssst.  Pakistanis are south Asians.  Though truth be told, like 'latin American,' Arab is more of a linguistic than an ethnic group, since it encompasses everyone from Moroccan Berbers to African Sudanese to levantine Palestinians and Syrians to the Bedouins of the Arabian peninsula to blue-eyed Lebanese crusader spawn like yours truly.  :angel:

Oh, by the way, that poem was racist drivel.  Illegal immigration is a problem in the U.S., but here in Los Angeles they're busting their asses doing the crappy, backbreaking jobs that native-born Americans don't seem to want to do.  You can fault illegal immigrants for some things, but lack of work ethic is not one of them.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#7 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:33 PM

True Zack; let me clarify what I was saying. The 'traditional' group to beat up on is, of course, Hispanics. For some reason, the poem has been shifted to another ethnic group, and the only thing I can figure is that it's general hostility towards people "from over there"., which is isually translated as "Arab". That being said, I should have been more precise. Yeesh.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#8 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:34 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Jan 24 2004, 06:33 PM, said:

True Zack; let me clarify what I was saying. The 'traditional' group to beat up on is, of course, Hispanics. For some reason, the poem has been shifted to another ethnic group, and the only thing I can figure is that it's general hostility towards people "from over there"., which is isually translated as "Arab". That being said, I should have been more precise. Yeesh.
Oh, I knew what you were getting at.  I was just being pedantic.   :devil:

#9 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:36 PM

MuseZack, on Jan 24 2004, 11:34 AM, said:

Oh, I knew what you were getting at.  I was just being pedantic.   :devil:
Figures :p :devil:  :rolleyes:

#10 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:45 PM

Seriously, the thing that slays me is that all of the people I know from places like Pakistan and South Asia are either engineers or auto mechanics putting in 12 hour days running Chevron stations and working two jobs and more to support their families.  A more hardworking, family-oriented bunch of people you won't find anywhere.  It's strangely ironic that Muslim immigrants are the target of such hostility when in large part they embody traditional American values like hard work, religious piety, modesty, and the primacy of family relations.

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:47 PM

MuseZack, on Jan 24 2004, 01:45 PM, said:

It's strangely ironic that Muslim immigrants are the target of such hostility when in large part they embody traditional American values like hard work, religious piety, modesty, and the primacy of family relations.
Guess the terrorist attacks of 9-11, committed *BY* Muslims, would have nothing to do with the hostility you mentioned.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#12 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:49 PM

I have to play Devil's advocate here. How is that poem racist against illegals? The only parts even mentioning race have to deal with "the White Man" is that how it's racist?

Or is it deemed "Racist drivel" because it happens to be true, for the most part.

#13 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:49 PM

What a load of rubbish.
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:50 PM

Has anyone asked the legal immigrants about what they think about the illegals?

I mean personally after spending something near two years to become a citizen to see someone cheating and get stuff I have to bust my ass for  would be angering.

As to the Poem it's racist and moronic and it's Free Speech. So my way dealing with it would be delete the emial and move along.

#15 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:57 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jan 24 2004, 06:47 PM, said:

It's strangely ironic that Muslim immigrants are the target of such hostility when in large part they embody traditional American values like hard work, religious piety, modesty, and the primacy of family relations.
Guess the terrorist attacks of 9-11, committed *BY* Muslims, would have nothing to do with the hostility you mentioned.
And the million plus law-abiding Muslim immigrants to the United States bear responsibility for the actions of nineteen terrorist agents sent to attack us?

BTW, very few Muslims in the United States wear turbans.  If you see a guy in the US with a turban and a big bushy beard, odds are he's a Sikh, which is a different religion entirely.  Not that that distinction prevented an ignorant racist jerk from murdering a Sikh man as some kind of half-assed revenge for 9/11.

http://www.ananova.c.../sm_405666.html

#16 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:00 PM

This page summs up my feelings on the subject. And this one actually may be offensive to some people, but not everyone.
Posted Image

Edited by Ilphi, 24 January 2004 - 02:02 PM.

Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#17 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:04 PM

Seriously, the thing that slays me is that all of the people I know from places like Pakistan and South Asia are either engineers or auto mechanics putting in 12 hour days running Chevron stations and working two jobs and more to support their families.  A more hardworking, family-oriented bunch of people you won't find anywhere.  It's strangely ironic that Muslim immigrants are the target of such hostility when in large part they embody traditional American values like hard work, religious piety, modesty, and the primacy of family relations.
I think you'll find family oriented people all over the place, and the Middle East isa hot bed of active wars, torture, and a HUGE gap between the classes. And I know there are extremists on all sides, but all we hear about are the wars and the killing, which kind of reenforces the stereotype. :blink:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#18 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:21 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jan 24 2004, 10:47 AM, said:

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt until I got to *that* post.  I can't even articulate how out of line you are LOTS because if I try my temper will get the better of me.  BTW, did you know that the Inquisition was perpetrated by Christians?  Let's now demonize ALL Christians.  The same way some people demonize all Jews because Christ died at their hands.

It makes me ill that there are people who think this way who live in this world.  But it is people who think this way, fanatics who blame an entire people for the crimes of a few, who committed the 9-11 terrorism.  Chew on THAT why don't you.   :glare:
Posted Image

#19 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:24 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Jan 24 2004, 01:49 PM, said:

I have to play Devil's advocate here. How is that poem racist against illegals? The only parts even mentioning race have to deal with "the White Man" is that how it's racist?

Or is it deemed "Racist drivel" because it happens to be true, for the most part.

And also: Guess the terrorist attacks of 9-11, committed *BY* Muslims, would have nothing to do with the hostility you mentioned.
Wow.  Well then.  I appreciate your right to your opinion and your right to speak it.  I hope you appreciate my right not to respond to you beyond this post.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#20 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:34 PM

QueenTiye, on Jan 24 2004, 02:24 PM, said:

Wow.  Well then.  I appreciate your right to your opinion and your right to speak it.  I hope you appreciate my right not to respond to you beyond this post.

QT
D@mmit.  I take it back.  Refusing to engage doesn't help anyone.  I'll be back when I can....

frowns at self.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Immigration, Media, Poetry

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users