Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Illegal Immigrant Poem

Immigration Media Poetry

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#101 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:50 AM

Answering Connie's question - I DO have family members who think sorta like that.  Offended that black americans persistently seem to be passed over by the newest immigrant to come through, many black americans are of the opinion that there's some kind of code that says that immigrants get to come into the black community, set up shop, make money, and take it out of the black community, while black americans seldom get the opportunity to set up shop in the very same community.  The problems are (in my opinion) far more complex than that, but I just make the quick point that I do have loved ones who think this way.  AND...

I respond the same way.  I think about the issue, I address the portion of the opinion that I think is offensive, and I wonder about solutions.  If they persist in inflamming the situation by focussing only on the offensive part rather than elevating the conversation to a more practical level - I bow out.  But then - these are my relatives.  I don't get to pick and choose my relatives (I do get to pick and choose how much time to spend with them).  I have WAY more choice in who I associate with on a bulletin board.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#102 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 12:12 PM

QueenTiye, on Jan 29 2004, 06:48 AM, said:

I don't get to pick and choose my relatives (I do get to pick and choose how much time to spend with them).  I have WAY more choice in who I associate with on a bulletin board.

QT
Good point.  :cool:

One of the reasons I choose to come to EI instead of other boards (this is pretty much it for me these days) is that we don't normally just drop the bomb, stand back and wait for the fun.

Posting that poem was, in my mind, akin to somebody saying "all Republicans are ultraconservative religious fanatics who are just out for a buck" or "all Democrats are fuzzy-thinking tree-hugging lunatics." The tactic is not designed to elicit a conversation (or an even an argument).
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Immigration, Media, Poetry

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users