• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ultraviolet

ultraviolet

photographer, aspiring sci-fi writer, photoshop artist

• Islander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 01:06 AM

OK, this really doesn't belong in gen disc, so I hope I got the right forum for this one.   This is for discussion of travel to alternate universes and the implications (and ramifications0 of doing so.

1. If you could travel to alternate universes, would you?

2.  Would you travel to alternate universe if you couldn't come back to your universe?

3.  Why would you go?

4.  Would you take technology from other universe to sell in your own?

5.   Would you buy movies from other universe even though they don't exist here and what would happen if those movies showed up here?

6.   Would you date people in other universes even though you might never go back there?

7.   Would you travel to alternate universes even if it meant others might chase you back home if you're not careful?

8.   How would you handle the issue of deadly diseases in other universes?

9.   Would you meeet yourself or and alternate version of a person you know?

10.   How would your trip to another universe affect their social and political enviroment?

11.  What if you came upon an abandoned Earth in another universe, would you investigate or raid it or leave as quickly as possible?

12.   How would technology acquired from another universe affect our universe?

13.   How would other universes be affected if you left your sperm, eggs, or got someone pregnant in other universes?

14.   Would you investigate a facist Earth even though you can't trust anyone?

15.   Would you settle in another universe if you found it better than your own?

16.   What is your theory on how someone could travel to other universeswithout using black holes and big worm holes in outer space and without big massive power reactors?

17.   How dangerous would it be to travel to other universes and would it be worth the risk?

18.   What fictional universe would you visit?

19.  What alternate timeline would you visit?

20.   Is Rov president in one of the other universes?

21.   Are Zack and Ash running the show Andromeda in one of the other universes?

22. What type of rock star would Lil be in another universe?

infitie universes.   infinite possibilities.

Have a better one.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

:yin-yang:  :eek:  :Oo:  :blink:  :cool:

#2 Gvambat

Gvambat
  • Islander
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 02:44 AM

I'll paraphrase a quote who's source I can't remember right now:

"People always say the saddest question is 'what if'. Why? Why assume the alternative would be any better than what is?"

So the question is, would it be worth the risk. We'd be playing around with something when we've got virtually no idea of the consequences or the ramifications. Maybe you could make things better, even if it's only in satisfying curiosity, but is it worth the risk that things will get worse?

What is at stake? Who will benefit?

One of the last scenes in Farscape's Unrealized Reality comes to mind; if the only way out holds the possiblity that you'll distroy the universe as you know it, or at least your chances of getting back there, is it worth it?

Would I do it? Depends on what's at stake, but right now, I think the costs outweigh the potential benefits.
Electrons behave like waves on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; like particles on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and like nothing at all on Sundays.

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 03:16 AM

Thats a lot of questions, though I like Gvambat short answer ;) :) I'll attempt answering them.

If I could time travel I might, so I suppose I might travel to alternate universes too. There is so much to explore in our world as it is though... In the end, if I could, and I had some precautions, I probably would, though I'd debate the purpose with myself till no end ;) Maybe because of that I wouldn't be able to come to a decision ;) :)

2.  Would you travel to alternate universe if you couldn't come back to your universe?

Probably not... how do I know anything is better there? Eventually, even if I went to get something better, and *knew* it was better (at that time), I'd probably miss 'home' eventually, and it'd start looking a lot greener ;) :) If we were having WW3 I might do it, being cowardly, or if I had nothing at home to keep me here (ie. family all dead, etc).

3.  Why would you go?

For adventure, to learn about different people, different possiblities. I've always been interested in different cultures, seeing different timelines of sorts, from very similar to us in shades all the way to not resembling our world at all would be very intriguing...

Hmmmm. I don't think so. If I found some 'miracle' cure I might bring it back or other usefull technology. As with all things, it depends on the situation ;) But it wouldn't be about money for me...

5.   Would you buy movies from other universe even though they don't exist here and what would happen if those movies showed up here?

Depends on the content of the movies. People would probably wonder where I got it ;) :) And lets hope the technology they use for movies is compatible with ours ;) Assuming it was, I'd probably bring back movies of personal interest to me, but I probably wouldn't see them or put them into public circulation.

6.   Would you date people in other universes even though you might never go back there?

If I did, and I fell in love, I'd be hoping they'd come with me if that was the case ;) :) I'd try to keep things professional though, I wouldn't want to get entangled with people I'll never see again. Though being who I am, even if I don't get romantically entangled with them, I'll still come to care for them ;) Unless I was able to be totally unsympathetic to them because of their personality's/ways.

7.   Would you travel to alternate universes even if it meant others might chase you back home if you're not careful?

That would be a possibility anyone would have to deal with to go to other universes, or in space exploration to other solar systems. Its like deciding I shouldn't leave my house for risk of getting hit by a car.... With life, and alternate universes, there are just too many possibilities. Someone might follow you back because they loved you, or wanted to kill you for something you'd done, they probably wouldn't all want to destroy our Earth ;) :) There are just simply too many possibilities and different situations to let an unlikely one stop me/us. Should we have not gone across the ocean, to the moon, should we not be doing genetic engineering? We try to account for all contingenses but we deal with problems as we come across them, for better or worse.

If I caught it and it was medium-highly contagious I wouldn't be going home. But obviously we'd try to pretend such things in the first place. Vaccines of all know diseases on earth, as well as first going into other worlds protected with suits :)

Probably, sooner or later. Oh, you mean would I *purposely*. Probably not, though I might be tempted with people I've cared about that have passed away. Though it'd probably be hard, no guarentee of finding them, might have different names, etc. I'd probably only think about it/be tempted if I heard someone mentioned them there, and knew them.

10.   How would your trip to another universe affect their social and political enviroment?

There is no way to know, you can form guesses, after you've learned a little bit about their social and political enviroments :)

11.  What if you came upon an abandoned Earth in another universe, would you investigate or raid it or leave as quickly as possible?

Abandoned, as in used to be habitated, not simply uninhabitated? Depends if there are dead bodies everywhere ;) :) I'd probably at least investigated a little bit. A sign of trouble and I'd probably be leaving.

Like any techology developed in our world... we don't quite know until its put to use. And most technology/knowlegde has uses that are negative and possitive. A lot of how its going to affect our universe is how we decide to use it.

13.   How would other universes be affected if you left your sperm, eggs, or got someone pregnant in other universes?

No way to tell, but if by "if you left your sperm, eggs" as in just having sex, then nothing more than if you leave dead skin cells lying around. As for having frozen sperm/eggs for that universes future use... I don't think it would make any more of a catastrophy than those dead skin cells either... it a universe would implode on extra material coming into it then it would happen as soon as you arrived there. And any new material from a pregancy would mostly be from the mother, only the sperm, and it DNA, is from somewhere else. So if the universe doesn't explode/implode on your arrival, it should be ok ;) :) Unless you added genes that no one there has (assuming you're still able to reproduce with them). You could even, perhaps affect their evolution. Though there are so many possiblities. Maybe your genes would simply be inferior, and any family related to your kid would just be more likely to have eye problems ;) Maybe the kid wouldn't be able to reproduce if there are enough differences.

I probably wouldn't be interested in a facist earth, so probably no. Though I'm sure it would tickle someone's fancy, and they would.

15.   Would you settle in another universe if you found it better than your own?

Maybe if it was primitive people who though I was a goddess ;) No, just kidding *g* Like I said, in an earlier question, question 2, I might if things got really bad here, ie WW3 or all my family dies. If I thought a world was better, with or without that, I'd want to investigate it thorougly... if a thing seems to good to be true, it usually is ;) :)

16.   What is your theory on how someone could travel to other universes without using black holes and big worm holes in outer space and without big massive power reactors?

Literally, of figuritively? ;) Gosh, people think up alternative universes all the time, in their imagination, etc. But literally... I can't even properly (ie. scientifically) debate the existance of them, much less how to get to one, without those methods ;)

17.   How dangerous would it be to travel to other universes and would it be worth the risk?

Everyone has their own justifications for many versions of answers. How dangerous? Any exploration is dangerous. Living is dangerous. I could get hit by a car if I leave my house I mentioned earlier. I think the biggest question is can it be done. If it can, its probably ok to bring material from one to the other (or it would really be possible in the first place). After that, everything is just possibilities, on dangers, positives, risks, etc. I thik we have enough to explore in this universe as it is, but we are always exploring in a million ways at once, to space, to our DNA, etc, whats the difference in adding one more, assuming we use this ability responsible?

My own ;) A imagination is a great thing. Other than my own though... gosh. Well the book series I'm reading right now seems pretty good (The Wheel of Time) if a little scary at times ;) Middle Earth would be interesting as well, though I don't like all the holes I see in it ;) I might be able to fill them though, if I went there ;) I haven't read it, though I plan too, but The Riverworld seems very interesting as well.

Assuming there are the ones I'd like to visit. Just out of curiousity I'd like to see a female dominated society ;) Not that I'd expect it to be too much different then ours in politics and such, it'd be interesting though. I'm curious about everything though, I'd want to see one more advanced than us, more 'primitive', one where Aliens have reached earth, you name it. Except the facists ;) Things completely unlike what I've seen would be the most interesting.

Assuming there are infinite universes, with infinity possiblities, yes.

21.   Are Zack and Ash running the show Andromeda in one of the other universes?

RHW is in one too (still I mean), and in one of them. In another Kevin writes for it too ;) Maybe if I could universe hop, I've visit the one where RHW ran it to the end (with Zack and Ash) and bring back the DVD and videos, and sell it to all of you guys ;) :)

All kinds, depending on the universe. In one universe shes probably a nun ;) :) No offense Lil :)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 03:18 AM

Out of curiousity, can I ask why you are asking?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#5 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 04:01 AM

Why not?

Why not?

3.  Why would you go?

I'm a student of history. Even if it isn't my own.

Hey, why not? Note you said "take" and not "buy". Good boy. ;)

Um, I can't pretend to know what'd happen on the return trip, but I'd probably be as broke in every possible universe as I am in this one, so, no.

When you say "date"......  :blush: Yeah, of course I would "date".... I mean, I could be the interdimensional love-god or somethin'. :wub:

How would I know they'd chase me back? I'd laugh at them, leave, and wait in my apartment with a shotgun, just in case.

Hopefully all these other universes have universal healthcare....  *sings The Maple Leaf Forever softly*

I hope not. That'd creep me out.

But what do you mean? If I met an alternate version of the President that was smart, it'd be different than if I met an alternate version of my ex-girlfriend who was mother of my children.  Or, like, some alternate universe where 1968 never happened. Dude, that would suck.

That's for them to know, and me to find out.

Depends on if there's any giant scorpions around. Scorpions yes? Flee in terror. Scorpions no? Hail to the king, baby.

Depends on the tech acquired. If it was a wagon wheel, it'd be different from a teleporter.

Was it good for me? Then don't worry 'bout it. :cool:

How do you know I couldn't trust anyone in a fascist Earth? I might come to like it better. Then again, I might not survive the round-trip.

Depends on what's better. If it rained doughnuts, I'd stay. If people ate with their tongues, I'd bail out.

16.   What is your theory on how someone could travel to other universeswithout using black holes and big worm holes in outer space and without big massive power reactors?

Um.... sounds like fun. But I don't go sticking myself in other peoples' universes without prior consent. I practice safe crossover.

I dunno, depends on the universe. Like I said, giant scorpions. They're everywhere, man, even in, like, breakfast cereal. Think about it.

Mine.

Yours.

Not yet.

Nope. They're workin' for Mr. Wolfe. Talk about a perfect possible universe.

A lawyer. Think about it.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,872 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 05:00 AM

ultraviolet, on Feb 21 2003, 05:08 PM, said:

There was a cool story along these lines in Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine a couple of years ago.  Yeah, it was in the July '98 issue (farther back than I thought!).  "Auteur Theory" by Richard Chwedyk.  A director discovers a tape of an old movie of his, made the way he'd wanted to make it but couldn't.  Leads to a whole interdimensional bootlegging operation of some sort.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#7 Tyrs Girl

Tyrs Girl

The King has returned

• Islander
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 05:12 AM

1. Why not?

2. Maybe not. Pnly if I could guarentee I would have a better life there then here.

3. Why wouldn't you? It'd be awesome to go to another universe!

4. No, it's one of those things that woul alter the time line and the end result would be some crazy guy trying to kill me.

5. No, but nothing would stop me from watching the good ones a couple million times

6. Yeah, why not?

7. Oh you mean those alien space ships? The ones currently shooting at us? Oops, sorry!

8. Um, I'd try to avoid being sick and bring treatments from this universe if they existed.

9. Yeah, that would be cool, in a really freaky sorta way.

10. I'd try not to make that much of an impact. Otherwise I'm gonna wind up in some prison with psyco government people interogating me.

11. I'd try to figure out why it had been abandoned.

12. It would change the course of history!

13. The kid can be the first to say he's from 2 different universes!

14. I think I'd go insane in about 5 days and flee in terror.

15. Depends on how much better.

16. Use magic to open a portal to said universe.

17.  Probably very dangerous and it depends on if it's worth the risk.

18. LORT to visit Rivendell, SW to train as a Jedi, Drom to hook up with Tyr, Buffyverse, & Angelverse.

19. Definetely the future.

20. Maybe.

21. No, Robert Wolfe got his job back.

22. Platinum selling artist

Edited by Tyrs Girl, 25 February 2003 - 05:13 AM.

#8 Scatha Arzetyn

Scatha Arzetyn

Argosy Liaison to Helm's Deep

• Islander
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 02:20 AM

the'Hawk, on Feb 23 2003, 12:58 AM, said:

How would I know they'd chase me back? I'd laugh at them, leave, and wait in my apartment with a shotgun, just in case.
LOL

20. Is Rov president in one of the other universes?
&
21. Are Zack and Ash running the show Andromeda in one of the other universes?

Well, since we are dealing with an AU for every single possibility, yes. And no.

9. Would you meeet yourself or and alternate version of a person you know?

Hmm, something I'm afraid of is that if you did meet an alternate someone, it might affect your opinion of the person you originally knew.

16. What is your theory on how someone could travel to other universeswithout using black holes and big worm holes in outer space and without big massive power reactors?

Cairns, etc.

As far as the rest, that would all depend upon which Universe I am currently in. Am I in the Universe where I go? Or where I stay?

Personally, I believe that I am in the Alternate Universe where Alternate Universes don't exist. Therefore I couldn't travel between them if I wanted to.

Anja II

Edited by Scatha Arzetyn, 08 March 2003 - 02:22 AM.

Love is a happy little Elf, doing a merry little jig.
Who then turns on you with a miniature machine gun. --Nilulmaiel

British SitComs are educational! Learn to swear like an Englishman!

got sparky?

#9 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 01:38 PM

Hmm... trouble with parallel universes.... and i'm completly babbling here (in case you didn't guess :p) is that there laws of physics could be very different to ours, and our mere existance in the other universe could perhaps cause some sort of crazy-cataclysmic-event ™. Your call ;)
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#10 Scatha Arzetyn

Scatha Arzetyn

Argosy Liaison to Helm's Deep

• Islander
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 07:35 PM

^Yes, there would be Universes like that.

But what about,

Perpendicular Universes? :huh:

Anja II
Love is a happy little Elf, doing a merry little jig.
Who then turns on you with a miniature machine gun. --Nilulmaiel

British SitComs are educational! Learn to swear like an Englishman!

got sparky?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users