109 replies to this topic

#1 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:33 PM

http://www.canada.co...9E-9F1D29D0E886

NEW YORK (AP) - CBS apologized on Sunday for an unexpectedly R-rated end to its Super Bowl halftime show, when singer Justin Timberlake tore off part of Janet Jackson's top, exposing her breast.

"CBS deeply regrets the incident," spokeswoman LeslieAnne Wade said after the network received several calls about the show. The two singers were performing Rock Your Body, a flirtatious duet to end the halftime show. At the song's finish, Timberlake reached across Jackson's leather gladiator outfit and pulled off the covering to her right breast. The final lyric of the song goes, "Going to have you naked by the end of this song."

The network quickly cut away from the shot, and did not mention the incident on the air.

Timberlake said he did not intend to expose Jackson's breast.

"I am sorry that anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance of the Super Bowl," Timberlake said in a statement. "It was not intentional and is regrettable."

Well, that was certainly a shocking halftime show, wasn't it Boys and Girls?

Was this deliberate? Or was it truly an accident?

Could this be an attempt to take the heat off of one Jackson and put it on another?

As they say in football lore.....

'You Make The Call!'

Rommie :cylon:
Posted Image

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:14 AM

Well given the picture at Yahoo.news I am inclined to call it delibrate, unless Ms. Jackson always wears pasties.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:19 AM

Shalamar, on Feb 1 2004, 09:12 PM, said:

Well given the picture at Yahoo.news I am inclined to call it delibrate, unless Ms. Jackson always wears pasties.
Here is the pic that Shal is referring to........

http://story.news.ya...r2794264459.jpg

Posted Image

#4 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:22 AM

Woooo Janet Jackson's breast appeared on screen for a split second . . . I think it was probably deliberate, but I really don't see why it's such a big deal . . . I thought it was pretty funny actually. :)

#5 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:24 AM

Lol I don't care one way or the other really, I just think it's rather tasteless.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#6 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:29 AM

It's just a cheap thrill to draw attention. There was probably tons of skin shown at the Lingerie Bowl, so perhaps this was their way of making up for it. ;)

This will be talked about more than the Adam Viniateri Field Goal to win the game at the end. And it'll be on every late night talk show tomorrow night. You just watch.

Publicity stunt, pure and simple.

Posted Image

#7 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:51 AM

double post

Edited by Shoshana, 02 February 2004 - 12:53 AM.

#8 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:52 AM

from news.com.au

The stunning stunt appeared to have been planned all along, with Jackson sporting a strategically placed star over her right nipple, which had been exposed to the watching millions as the duo sang Timberlake's hit Rock Your Body. 

Later it was confirmed that CBS, which broadcasts the Super Bowl and half-time show, had approved the tear-of strip, but were forced to apologise to their audience after a flood of complaints from family viewers about the smutty sing-along.

#9 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:57 AM

I just got one thing to say........

HA!!! I knew it!!!! :p :lol:

Posted Image

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 01:45 AM

I'm not suree why anyone cares. That picture of ms. Jackson isn't exactly a flattering one in any respect.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#11 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:46 AM

Oh, it was an "MTV-produced" halftime show. That explains why it sucked so bad.  :barf:

Good grief, what were they thinking? Obviously it was planned.

"I am sorry that anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance of the Super Bowl," Timberlake said in a statement. "It was not intentional and is regrettable."

Anyone who believes this is painfully naive. And Timberlake is a jerk for even trying this excuse.

Of course, I certainly don't expect people like those halftime performers to have any sense of propriety. They're of a different class than the rest of us. They're trash.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#12 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:11 AM

I actually thought the rapper who could not seem to stop grabbing his crotch was in worse taste, but what do I know?

Kathy  :crazy:
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#13 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:17 AM

Appreciate, on Feb 2 2004, 09:09 AM, said:

I actually thought the rapper who could not seem to stop grabbing his crotch was in worse taste, but what do I know?
We thought maybe he just had to pee, and that he should have taken care of that before halftime.

By the way, is there anyone here who knew who all those people were without relying on the captioning and the names in big flashing lights? I would have recognized Janet Jackson, but I had no clue who the rest were.

Nelly? Hmmm. I remember when Nelly was a girl's name.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#14 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:29 AM

^ I remember when Nelly was my mom's na----wait it still is. :p

And I found the "wardrobe malfunction" excuse to be laughable!
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#15 Cyncie

Cyncie

Cool Daddio!

• Islander
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:34 AM

I think some of the outrage is due to the fact the the Super Bowl audience is not confined to the usual NFL weekend sports fans. It's become the "Big Sports Event" with families and even church and school youth groups having Super Bowl parties.  So, if the NFL wants to continue to be the country's "Big Sports Event"  the half time entertainment may have to take into account a broader viewing audience. And, that would mean coming in line with less edgy material.

Personally, I just found the whole thing tasteless. Janet's exhibition capped off a stream of crotch grabbing rappers, S&M clad dancers, and Kid Rock wearing a flag as a pancho. And, no. I'm not buying for one minute that lame "costume malfunction" story!  :rolleyes:

~Cyn

Goodnight, Sweetheart
Well, it's time to go...

#16 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:06 AM

Cyncie, on Feb 2 2004, 09:32 AM, said:

I think some of the outrage is due to the fact the the Super Bowl audience is not confined to the usual NFL weekend sports fans. It's become the "Big Sports Event" with families and even church and school youth groups having Super Bowl parties.
:: raises hand ::

Our church group had a party for the occasion. Though most of the kids were in another room playing with the kid-herders, there were a few watching with us.

"Why is that man wearing a corset and garters?"
"I don't know, honey. Don't you want to go play with the other kids? Like, . . . right now?"

Though we did decide that one couple who is expecting a baby boy in June should consider "P. Diddy" as a possible name.

Bring Back Paul McCartney, U2 and Sting!

Edited by Drew, 02 February 2004 - 11:09 AM.

#17 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:29 AM

Drew, on Feb 2 2004, 11:04 AM, said:

Bring Back Paul McCartney, U2 and Sting!
Somewhat offtopic, but last year's show w/ Gwen Stefani and Sting doing a duet on "Message in a Bottle" was absolutely fantastic.  Too bad this year's show didn't have anything remotely approaching that level of coolness.

#18 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:33 AM

Guaranteed MTV won't produce another halftime show for the NFL.

Loved Kid Rock's Old Glory poncho.

I'm sure it pissed off Pat Buchanan and those of his ilk.

No down side. :D

-cs™

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:02 PM

It was a silly half time show.  The ONLY good performance by the singers in this Super Bowl was the really well done tribute to the astronauts.  That was really beautiful and touching.  Everything else was silly.
Posted Image

#20 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:06 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Feb 2 2004, 11:00 AM, said:

It was a silly half time show.  The ONLY good performance by the singers in this Super Bowl was the really well done tribute to the astronauts.  That was really beautiful and touching.  Everything else was silly.
So didn't you feel like it was a sort of bait-and-switch? Really classy tribute at the start, really crappy half-time show?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, Super Bowl, Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Nudity

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users