• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:11 PM

no bait and switch would require me to give them credit for planning.  I prefer to consider them clueless.  :)
Posted Image

#22 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:20 PM

Drew, on Feb 2 2004, 12:04 PM, said:

So didn't you feel like it was a sort of bait-and-switch? Really classy tribute at the start, really crappy half-time show?
Was I the only one who thought the astronaut tribute before the game was extremely not classy? I thought most of it was cheesy baton-twirling silliness, and I thought the video intro to the Aerosmith set was in shockingly bad taste -- worse taste than J&J's peep-show, even.

I mean, the members of Aerosmith as astronauts who rocket into space, then open the door of their shuttle and plunge back to earth over Texas, complete with computer effects of the ground rocketing toward the camera as they fall? What a great way to remember the astronauts who gave their lives a year ago -- by reimagining the horror of their deaths as a pretend skydiving stunt. :eek2:

#23 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:23 PM

Smitty, on Feb 2 2004, 11:31 AM, said:

Loved Kid Rock's Old Glory poncho.

I'm sure it pissed off Pat Buchanan and those of his ilk.
Federal Flag Code (Public Law 94 - 344).

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Call it a matter of respect.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#24 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:24 PM

^  I actually agree about aerosmith (who sang well enough but um the astronaut thing was silly).  I was talking about that Josh guy or whatever who sang that one song right before the National Anthem (and hello Byonce or whatever um it's the National Anthem not a cover for a Mariah Carey song).  That one song was nice and tasteful I thought.

Lil
Posted Image

#25 Cyncie

Cyncie

Cool Daddio!

• Islander
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:24 PM

I totally missed the opening, so I can't comment on that one.

~Cyn

Goodnight, Sweetheart
Well, it's time to go...

#26 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:35 PM

Dev F, on Feb 2 2004, 11:18 AM, said:

Drew, on Feb 2 2004, 12:04 PM, said:

So didn't you feel like it was a sort of bait-and-switch? Really classy tribute at the start, really crappy half-time show?
Was I the only one who thought the astronaut tribute before the game was extremely not classy? I thought most of it was cheesy baton-twirling silliness, and I thought the video intro to the Aerosmith set was in shockingly bad taste -- worse taste than J&J's peep-show, even.

I mean, the members of Aerosmith as astronauts who rocket into space, then open the door of their shuttle and plunge back to earth over Texas, complete with computer effects of the ground rocketing toward the camera as they fall? What a great way to remember the astronauts who gave their lives a year ago -- by reimagining the horror of their deaths as a pretend skydiving stunt. :eek2:
Okay, that does sound awful, and I missed the beginning of the tribute. That's my excuse. What I actually saw of it looked classy, and so I assumed the rest of it was classy. My mistake. We're talking about lowest-common-denominator television here. I should be more careful.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#27 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:39 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Feb 2 2004, 09:22 AM, said:

I was talking about that Josh guy or whatever who sang that one song right before the National Anthem (and hello Byonce or whatever um it's the National Anthem not a cover for a Mariah Carey song).  That one song was nice and tasteful I thought.

Lil
Josh Groban, and the song was You Raise Me Up. Josh is a fantastic singer. His voice is only going to get better. I was impressed because his hand was shaking holding that microphone - something I can relate to on a much, much, much smaller scale. No "boy am I great" attitude with this kid. Most impressive.

The only thing I'll say about miss ponytail is that she knew the words and could hit the notes. Gads, was it last year or year before we had some big star come out and sing the National Anthem nice and simple and clean. That's what I like to hear.

I didn't bother watching the half-time show. I knew I wouldn't like it. The stunt they pulled is totally tasteless.

#28 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 01:33 PM

I am very happy to report that I missed the WHOLE thing. Don't like either one of them, switched to a cooking show till halftime was over. :p :p Yay me!!  :lol:

I agree that the tribute to the astronauts was beautiful. Best part of the whole thing.

Edited by Rhea, 02 February 2004 - 02:06 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#29 D.Lerious

D.Lerious

Queen of the Potato people

• Islander
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:27 PM

Rhea, on Feb 2 2004, 10:31 AM, said:

I am very happy to report that I missed the WHOLE thing..
Same here, though I worked on homework

I've got three ex-wives and I will gladly give you their names and addresses" -Gibbs to a mobster

"So let me get this straight. You want me to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?"
Rimmer in Quarantine

#30 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:15 PM

I watched the pregame show, the game and the halftime show.

The pregame show - Willie Nelson sounded like he was being drowned out by Toby Keith .. maybe technical difficulties? He was having a hard time lip syncing too.

I liked Josh Groban.

I hated the Aerosmith "tribute' to NASA. Totally poor taste. Made me queasy.

Beyoncé ... I think my problem with the Anthem preformance was the orchestra backup. She and the orchestra didn't seem to quite be in synch with each other. I think it would have been better without the orchestra.

Sean "P. Diddy" Combs and Nelly were ok. I must admit tho - I do like Nelly! :)

I like Kid Rock too - but I thought wearing the flag as a poncho was very tacky.

Janet ... kinda boring and it seemed like she wasn't lipsynching well - they kept zooming in, then abruptly zooming out when she mis synched. And as far away as they zoomed ... made it boring.

I'm not a Justin fan, so I wasn't surprised at being kinda bored. And the end where he ripped off part of her outfit... I thought I saw what I saw, but on a 20" tv with fuzzy reception ... I quickly forgot about it. Gareth was sitting next to me and missed it entirely.

'shana

Edited by Shoshana, 02 February 2004 - 04:15 PM.

#31 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:36 PM

I knew I could count on you guys to provide me with a link to a photo...

As for me, I don't even like football but I used to tune in for the half time show.  I could tell from the guest list that there wouldn't be anything I'd like about it so didn't bother.  I'd take a really great marching band show any day over any of it, even without incidents.  

What did the NFL expect letting MTV produce the show?  Haven't they seen the videos that air on MTV??  For me, Janet just proved she's as nuts and tasteless as her wackiest brother and, like him, is harder to dismiss as harmless.  Gods know what we'd see from the rest of them if they were still in the spotlight.  

I understand the commercials weren't that outstanding either.  Geez, was the highlight of this football game actually football???  What a concept!

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#32 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:39 PM

I just realized: that bit with the guy in the spacesuit walking on the moon waving a flag? That wasn't a tribute to space exploration, that was a live-action MTV Logo.  :wacko:  I couldn't figure out what a mookwalk had to do with the Columbia tribute, and now I get it: it had nothing to do with Columbia and everything to do with crass commericalism.

I'm going to be ill.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#33 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 05:28 PM

Drew, on Feb 2 2004, 02:37 PM, said:

I just realized: that bit with the guy in the spacesuit walking on the moon waving a flag? That wasn't a tribute to space exploration, that was a live-action MTV Logo.  :wacko:  I couldn't figure out what a mookwalk had to do with the Columbia tribute, and now I get it: it had nothing to do with Columbia and everything to do with crass commericalism.

I'm going to be ill.
Oh. My. God. You're right! I had completely forgotten about that MTV commercial until now. I've gone from disgusted to waaaay pissed off!

Anna
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#34 Ilisidi

Ilisidi

tantalizing...

• Islander
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 06:49 PM

Well, one thing's for sure -- that get-up Janet was sporting couldn't have been comfortable!!

:p

:D

:hehe:

But, FTR, that wasn't appropriate.  My coworker's daughter was watching with her and she said her daughter's mouth fell open at The Moment.  For a live performance that's in a family oriented setting, surely, they could have came up with some other idea to shock-n-awe the masses that didn't involve exposing uncomfortably placed body parts.   ;)
found this tidbit in the note section!  

Words of Zack RE Tyr: This is just one ex-writer speaking completely non-canonically, but in my mind the most fascinating thing about Tyr was that despite his breeding and socialization to be treacherous, opportunistic, and selfish, it was pretty clear that underneath it all, another aspect of Tyr's personality was to be gentle, loyal, and altruistic. We saw this most clearly in "Distant Drum," where with his memory gone Tyr's default mode was to protect the weak and risk his life for kludges, but it also surfaced in "Its Hour" with Tyr's obvious pride in and protectiveness toward Harper, and then in "All Too Human" (the title says it all), where Tyr is confused and enraged by his own compassion toward Harper. In my own mind at least, Tyr's growth as a character was ultimately to try and merge what was best about the Nietzscheans (energy, intelligence, never say die attitude) with what was best about humanity (empathy, altruism, connectedness with others.)As always, YMMV.

How I remember those days....

#35 Kelela

Kelela

treat your pets well

• Islander
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 07:50 PM

RommieSG, on Feb 1 2004, 09:31 PM, said:

Well, that was certainly a shocking halftime show, wasn't it Boys and Girls?

Was this deliberate? Or was it truly an accident?

Could this be an attempt to take the heat off of one Jackson and put it on another?

As they say in football lore.....

'You Make The Call!'

Rommie :cylon:
First reaction? Justin vs Britiny.... who can out do each other? But let us not forget that Madonna kissed Christina as well.....

Second reaction?  Janet has had peircings for so long, how can anyone else say what hurts and what doesn't? While the 'pastie' may look painful and totally  tasteless who knows for sure?  Personally, I would have thought more than twice about exposing a natural forty year-plus breast to the public, but apparently she thinks sagging is sexy.

Thirdly?  CBS and MTV are owned by the same company. Somehow, I figure, everyone involved KNEW something nasty was going to happen, AGAIN.  Was Janet's exposed breast the mystery guest?

Kelela

PS My adult children regret that I don't have TIVO....they wanted to see 'it'....ahh shucks....is TandA so very important these days?
If there's one thing I've learned .... it's to always have your flexibility in top working condition ;) -- Nikki Peppermint

Things to say when someone says "God Bless You" ----
sarcastic: Are you in charge of God's blessings? 'Cuz, I could use a few more...
humorous: Thanks - I need all the blessings I can get...
flirtatious: "He already did when I saw you"
chatty: "Did you know where the tradition of saying "God bless you" came from?"----
Handmaiden07

#36 Lord Ravensburg

Lord Ravensburg

All your lightsabers are belong to me

• Islander
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:25 PM

Smitty, on Feb 2 2004, 04:31 PM, said:

Guaranteed MTV won't produce another halftime show for the NFL.

Loved Kid Rock's Old Glory poncho.

I'm sure it pissed off Pat Buchanan and those of his ilk.

No down side. :D

-cs™
Yeah, and if he had wiped his ass on it that would have been the icing on the cake.  Cause you know, treating it with disrespect IS an appropriate way to annoy other people.   :glare:

#37 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:43 PM

To be fair, though, the last time the Patriots won the Superbowl, Bono had a flag-based liner inside of his jacket, too.

It was probably the coolest, classiest part of the program. Second, of course, to the massive video-wall display of the names of everyone who died on 9/11, while the band played "MLK".

I mean, I love Bono, and am no fan of Kid (bawidtaba daba daba diggy diggy diggy doogy drop the boogie) Rock, but I see the point. If we're going to criticize celebs for taking advantage of the US flag, let's do it across the board instead of just to Kid Rock.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#38 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:39 PM

THe FCC is investigating:

from www.zap2it.com

Michael Powell, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, said Monday (Feb. 2) that his agency is launching a "thorough and swift" investigation into Jackson's surprise breast-bearing Sunday night. Powell and two other FCC commissioners posted statements on the FCC's web site professing their outrage at the incident.

"Like millions of Americans, my family and I gathered around the television for a celebration," Powell says. "Instead, that celebration was tainted by a classless, crass and deplorable stunt. Our nation's children, parents and citizens deserve better."
CBS, Timberlake and MTV, which produced the halftime show, all issued apologies for the incident, and all say the show of skin was unplanned (Timberlake called it a "wardrobe malfunction"). The National Football League says it's not likely to ask MTV to take part in another Super Bowl halftime.

The FCC investigation comes at a time when Powell and other commissioners are lobbying Congress to increase fines the commission can levy on broadcasters for indecency violations. The current maximum fine is $27,500; the FCC would like to raise the ceiling to $275,000.

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#39 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:15 PM

Random Irony Note: I just realized that those who spent $10 on PPV to see the lingire bowl saw less skin than those who stayed for the 'real' halftime show.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#40 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:10 PM

BTW:

Here's the answer: http://www.kgb.com/2...572270244174896

<NSFW; has picture of what was shown>
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, Super Bowl, Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Nudity

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users