4 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 11:23 PM

http://www.washingto...-2004Feb10.html

WASHINGTON - Wesley Clark, the novice politician with four-star military credentials, abandoned his presidential bid Tuesday after two third-places finishes in the South, the Associated Press has learned.

This is kind of a wash, IMO. The miliary vote that was on Clark's side will probably go to Kerry, and the southern vote will go to Edwards. This doesn't really do anything to help Edwards knock Kerry off the top of the hill. At least, as far as I can tell...

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 10 February 2004 - 11:27 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 03:56 AM

i would have thought sensible strategy at this point would have been for all the remaining candidates to through their suport (and their support bases) heavily behind Kerry

I mean, the democrat goal is a democrat president right?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:44 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Feb 10 2004, 11:21 PM, said:

The miliary vote that was on Clark's side will probably go to Kerry, and the southern vote will go to Edwards.
US Military Vote?  Clark?  :blink:  Wesley Clark may be able to delude himself into thinking he is well liked by the military but that isn't the reality of the situation.  Clark is not someone like Tommy Franks who is well regarded by the US Military both among officers and the enlisted personnel.  Clark if anything falls into the category of being despised by much of the military for many reasons.

The only "military" vote that I believe that Clark would have been successful at nabbing was the yahoos who see general and then vote for him.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#4 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 12:14 PM

i would have thought sensible strategy at this point would have been for all the remaining candidates to through their suport (and their support bases) heavily behind Kerry

I mean, the democrat goal is a democrat president right?

They probably will shortly.  There are a few things that are still up for grabs in this race though.

First off, thre's the Vice-Presidency.  It's not exactly a plum, but it will give whoever gets it the clout to have some say in the appointments of any cabinet or high level officials.  It will also set them up to be a better Presidential candidate next time.  That something that a guy as relatively young as Edwards could benefit from.  After all, look at Nixon, he was Eisenhower's VP and got himself elected after a break of two Democratic presidents.  To get the VP role, you either have to be liked by the Presidential candidate's supporters or you have to bring your own power base to the table.  If you stay in the race and show you have serious support within the party, then there's going to be pressure to pick you.

Also, to a certain degree, there's cabinet posts up for grabs as well.  

Next, the fact is that some people run because they want their message to be heard, which is why Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson runs (although Jackson always had a better real shot at it).  Quitting early takes away your pulpit and place in whatever debates are coming up.  Sharpton may have only single digit support, but that translates into one whole podium on TV.  

Finally, it's quite possible that the remaining candidates just don't want Kerry to win, for whatever reason.  They can't stop him, but they certainly aren't going to bow out gracefully.  Of course, Kerry is not all that polarizing, really, but who knows what is running through the heads of some candidates?  Of course, eventually the Democratic Party will step in, just like you'd expect, and pretty much tell the losers in that case to line up or face a lot less support for future campaigns.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#5 MrsRhade

MrsRhade

All you need is love

• Islander
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:47 PM

LOL! Rov, I like your "B5" reference in th thread title.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, Wesley Clark, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users