Election 2004 John Kerry 2004

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 02:55 PM

I was trying to figure out what to say about this, but Jeff Danziger covered it for me....

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#22 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:41 PM

So he had an ffair...Thats never been a problem for me.  It's between him, his wife and the lady in question ( if there was one and this isn't a fabrication/ misinterpertation ) and the rest of the population can just take their noses out of others private lives.

As far as Clinton- I agree completely with G1223 on that.

That our politics are so purient as for this to be brought up and used is beneath contempt.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#23 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:06 PM

Shalamar, on Feb 14 2004, 01:39 PM, said:

That our politics are so purient as for this to be brought up and used is beneath contempt.
Hey Shal, that is signature worthy. Do you mind if I borrow it some time??  :)
Posted Image

#24 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:09 PM

Why, Thank you Lil, and yes, please feel free to use if you wish.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#25 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:07 PM

the'Hawk, on Feb 14 2004, 12:53 PM, said:

I was trying to figure out what to say about this, but Jeff Danziger covered it for me....

LOL!  :D  :lol:  :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#26 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 01:19 PM

Here's the statement from the alleged intern and her family.

http://story.news.ya...d=694&ncid=2043

I look forward to the apologies from all the media outlets who ran with this one based on a Drudge rumor.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#27 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 01:31 PM

^ Yeah, on the back page of the Lifestyle section....

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#28 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 01:33 PM

A  statement by Terry and Donna Polier, the parents of Alexandra Polier:

"We have spoken to our daughter and the allegations that have been made regarding her are completely false and unsubstantiated. We love and support her 100 percent and these unfounded rumors are hurtful to our entire family. We appreciate the way Senator Kerry has handled the situation, and intend on voting for him for president of the United States."

Er... okay, fine, nothing happened. But didn't the father call Kerry a sleazeball just a few days ago?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#29 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 01:35 PM

MuseZack, on Feb 16 2004, 12:17 PM, said:

I look forward to the apologies from all the media outlets who ran with this one based on a Drudge rumor.
How many was that anyway? Two?  ;)
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#30 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 03:14 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Feb 16 2004, 11:31 AM, said:

Er... okay, fine, nothing happened. But didn't the father call Kerry a sleazeball just a few days ago?
Okay, I THOUGHT so:

http://www.thesun.co...4071162,00.html

It's trivial, but here's the quote from a few days ago:

There is no evidence the pair had an affair, but her father Terry, 56, said: “I think he’s a sleazeball. I did kind of wonder if my daughter didn’t get that kind of feeling herself.

“He’s not the sort of guy I would choose to be with my daughter.”

Yet now, he plans to vote for Kerry.

So.. what's going on with that?  They're not automatically incompatiable statements, but it is a little odd, no?

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#31 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 03:17 PM

Sounds to me like a dad who believed the media and then got set straight by his daughter telling him ,'Dad, this is how it is'

amazing how the media can influence perception. (in a general sense i mean)

Edited by Godeskian, 16 February 2004 - 03:17 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#32 Douglas

Douglas
  • Islander
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 03:31 PM

Rov, I'd imagine there's a big difference between thinking that someone is a good option politically (especially when there are essentially 2 options at this point, Bush or Kerry, the whole "lesser of two evils" thing) and being positive about your daughter dating them.  I of course can't speak firsthand on the subject, since I have no kids of my own, but the truth is that there are people who I support politically who I would not necessarily endorse when it comes to carnal relations with my immediate family.

Edited by Douglas, 16 February 2004 - 03:33 PM.

#33 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 03:33 PM

Gode-- That's an interesting thought. I like it.

Douglas-- Oh, I understand the 'daughter' part... their ages are obviously very different. But "he's a sleezeball" isn't likely to translate into any endorsement, political or otherwise. Another way to read it is that he doesn't like Kerry, but is part of the ABB crowd.

Interesting.

#34 Douglas

Douglas
  • Islander
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 03:40 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Feb 16 2004, 08:31 PM, said:

Douglas-- Oh, I understand the 'daughter' part... their ages are obviously very different. But "he's a sleezeball" isn't likely to translate into any endorsement, political or otherwise. Another way to read it is that he doesn't like Kerry, but is part of the ABB crowd.
I'd imagine so, he may very well dislike Kerry but given his other options he could very well vote form him because the other options seem worse.  Like I edited to add there's the whole "lesser of two evils" argument.

Of course, the sudden turnaround in his opinion of Kerry as an individual could be the result of his daughter setting him straight on the matter, as Godeskian suggested.

#35 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 05:04 PM

Drew, on Feb 16 2004, 12:33 PM, said:

MuseZack, on Feb 16 2004, 12:17 PM, said:

How many was that anyway? Two?  ;)
You're forgetting to count the liberal outlets responding to it by whining about the story's existence (and about how unfair it was for the overwhelmingly conservative media to go around trumpetting it), not just the ones that just plain told the story. Then it's 48,532.

#36 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 05:11 PM

Delvo, on Feb 16 2004, 04:02 PM, said:

You're forgetting to count the liberal outlets responding to it by whining about the story's existence (and about how unfair it was for the overwhelmingly conservative media to go around trumpetting it), not just the ones that just plain told the story. Then it's 48,532.
Well, when the story first hit Drudge, I started watching "Google News" for the next couple days to see which media outlets were covering it. Very, very few. I think in the first 24 hours it was picked up by about a half-dozen outlets.

Now, go see how many news outlets are covering the denials. As numberless as the grains of sand on a beach.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#37 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 10:54 PM

Drew, on Feb 16 2004, 10:09 PM, said:

Delvo, on Feb 16 2004, 04:02 PM, said:

Well, when the story first hit Drudge, I started watching "Google News" for the next couple days to see which media outlets were covering it. Very, very few. I think in the first 24 hours it was picked up by about a half-dozen outlets.

Now, go see how many news outlets are covering the denials. As numberless as the grains of sand on a beach.
According to Drudge himself, numerous news outlets were investigating the story.  As far as I know, inside the U.S. only Fox News, Imus, Rush, and some other right wing talkers covered it (surprise, surprise!)  Could it possibly be that the other outlets checked it out and discovered there was nothing there, then opted not to slander a 24 year old woman on the word of a notoriously unreliable website?  

An idiot on a website making a claim without evidence isn't news;  a woman coming forward to publicly deny that claim, however, is.  Why is that distinction so hard to understand?
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#38 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:00 PM

MuseZack, on Feb 16 2004, 08:52 PM, said:

As far as I know, inside the U.S. only Fox News, Imus, Rush, and some other right wing talkers covered it (surprise, surprise!)
.. Fox? I thought I read that all three networks were ignoring the story. Do you have a cite?

EDIT: http://www.vodkapund...5290.php#005290  <-- This link seems to corroborate that. But again, I could be missing something.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 16 February 2004 - 11:01 PM.

#39 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:03 PM

MuseZack, on Feb 16 2004, 09:52 PM, said:

An idiot on a website making a claim without evidence isn't news;  a woman coming forward to publicly deny that claim, however, is.  Why is that distinction so hard to understand?
But you can't have one without the other. It's disgusting, but stories like this sell papers (or get viewers to tune in.) It's as if these news outlets badly wanted to report the story but didn't want to give Kerry bad press. So as soon as they found an angle that would allow them to tell this story and keep Kerry's record clean, they jumped at the chance. They get the winking leer and Kerry gets to keep his halo.

Call me cynical about the news biz, but I bin there.  :cool:

#40 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:06 PM

I watch Fox a lot, and saw them mention it once, only to debunk it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, John Kerry, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users