#41 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:10 PM

Drew, on Feb 17 2004, 04:01 AM, said:

MuseZack, on Feb 16 2004, 09:52 PM, said:

An idiot on a website making a claim without evidence isn't news;  a woman coming forward to publicly deny that claim, however, is.  Why is that distinction so hard to understand?
But you can't have one without the other. It's disgusting, but stories like this sell papers (or get viewers to tune in.) It's as if these news outlets badly wanted to report the story but didn't want to give Kerry bad press. So as soon as they found an angle that would allow them to tell this story and keep Kerry's record clean, they jumped at the chance. They get the winking leer and Kerry gets to keep his halo.

Call me cynical about the news biz, but I bin there.  :cool:
Me too.  One almost wonders whether someone in the Kerry campaign planted this on purpose, knowing it was false and would make Drudge and the Murdoch media outlets look bad when the facts came out-- as an early inoculation against any future scandals.  Similarly, the whole Kerry= Hanoi Jane thing is being pushed in the media by such an obvious crank and nutcase (he's the same guy who accused McCain of being a communist sleeper agent in 2000) that it will probably help shut down a lot of discussion about Kerry's antiwar activism as well.    Weirdly, this is probably helping strengthen rather than weaken him, and one is tempted to wonder whether or not that's by design.

There, now who's being cynical?   :devil:
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#42 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:15 PM

Actually, Zack, again... I can't find any documentation of Fox News saying on air a word about the affair. Given the flurry of media criticism in newspapers et al, I'd think that'd be documented somewhere.. can you help me out?

Secondly, we don't know whether Drudge is accurate tonight.

Pulling up the quote:

http://washingtontim...21913-7446r.htm

The Drudge Report on Thursday did not say Mr. Kerry had an affair, but that "a serious investigation of the woman and the nature of her relationship with Sen. John Kerry has been under way at Time Magazine, ABC News, The Washington Post, The Hill, and the Associated Press, where the woman in question once worked."

Drduge's assertian is not, and never was, that Drudge han an affair, simply that media organizations were investigating whether he did. If he was right-- and again, I don't think we know-- then what in it is inaccurate?

EDIT: Thanks Delvo.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 16 February 2004 - 11:16 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#43 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:34 PM

MuseZack, on Feb 16 2004, 10:08 PM, said:

One almost wonders whether someone in the Kerry campaign planted this on purpose, knowing it was false and would make Drudge and the Murdoch media outlets look bad when the facts came out-- as an early inoculation against any future scandals.
Hmmm. Well, supposedly the story came from Clark, who, after letting it slip in an "off-the-record" comment to a group of reporters, immediately announced his support of Kerry. So you may be on to something.  :wacko:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#44 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:35 PM

MuseZack, on Feb 16 2004, 11:08 PM, said:

There, now who's being cynical?   :devil:
I'm proud of you. You should be.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#45 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:37 PM

I was going by the comments of people on several blogs who said they saw it on Fox-- I'm still checking for verification.  In the meantime, here's the Washington Post's flow chart of how the story made its way through the media:

Drudge's report was promptly picked up by conservative radio hosts Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh and by the Web sites of National Review and the Wall Street Journal, and was analyzed online by Slate, Salon and commentator Andrew Sullivan, among others. Although it was probably the most talked-about story in Washington that day, most of the mainstream media, including The Washington Post, declined to report it because of the lack of evidence.  
On Friday, Don Imus, whose radio program is simulcast on MSNBC, asked Kerry about the rumor. "Well, there is nothing to report," the presidential candidate said. "So there is nothing to talk about. I'm not worried about it. No. The answer is no." Kerry told reporters later that day: "I just deny it categorically. It's rumor. It's untrue."  
Kerry's denial catapulted the story onto the front pages of the New York Post and New York Daily News. ABC anchor Peter Jennings reported Kerry's denial that evening, as did CNN. The New York Times mentioned the senator's denial in a campaign story Saturday.  
Several British newspapers, meanwhile, named Polier and ran her photo. The story was prominently featured by the Times of London ("Dirty tricks row hits race for President") and the Sun ("New JFK Hit by Scandal"), which, like the New York Post, are owned by conservative media baron Rupert Murdoch.  

As for Drudge, while it's true he didn't come out and report the alleged affair as fact, he also used highly loaded and as it turns out inaccurate language to describe the whole thing.  He described Polier as an "intern" and broadly implied she had worked for Kerry when in fact she was a junior reporter for the AP and never worked for Kerry, and he described her as having fled to Africa to avoid scrutiny when in fact she was in Kenya with her fiancee, who lives there.  It was a typically Drudge melange of fact, innuendo, and outright lying.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#46 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 12:04 AM

Those who like to pretend Fox is right-wing and include it in their lists of who did what nasty wrong stuff in the conservative media have come up with a defense for whenver it turns out that Fox didn't say what they say it said: Fox supposedly said it and then hid that fact and covered its tracks. Thus is any accusation about what Fox supposedly said now immune, and thus are they freed to make up anything they feel like saying Fox said.

#47 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:51 AM

Q: Is this like the Clinton situation all over again?
A: Close, but no cigar.

Badoom-ching...

:D :rolleyes:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, John Kerry, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users