A Brief History of EI Moderation

89 replies to this topic

#81 Consubstantial

Consubstantial

Paradox by Incongruity

• Islander
  • 851 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Thanks again for all of your work on this updating project.

:clap:

Edited by Consubstantial, 29 May 2012 - 09:59 AM.

From the start, our terms jump to conclusions--Kenneth Burke

#82 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

I think WDs will be easy compared to the rest and the search feature is not always a help...or maybe I'm not refining my search terms enough?  :unsure:

BTW any former mods or admins that want to give the dates of their service, forum....that would be appreciated very much too. :)  

I'm not above asking for help ;) and the name changes over the years.... :eek2: ...complicate things.  (took me a while to figure out who Ghost Rider was) :blush:

I am trying to build on the work of the thread starter..jon3831... and I love reading his intro--(in the OP of this thread)

jon3831

As a project of insanity a few months ago, I started work on a history of moderators of EI. Just a timeline, really, to give me a picture of who was doing what when. A question in the latest watchdog nomination thread led me to share this with y'all. Most of this is gacked from the actual announcement threads, so the dates may be off by 1 or 2 days, depending on when the actual transfer took place.

I have to say thank you to him for the work he did, because he has given us a good start on this...now to continue and update it!!  (and funny how the inspiration has come from the same type of thread)

Edited by Tricia, 29 May 2012 - 10:58 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#83 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Yay, Tricia! Good job!

If I may make a suggestion... Can we put this in a separate sticky so it's easy to find? I wouldn't think about looking in a thread titled "A Brief History of EI Moderation" to find a list of watchdogs. (And if this has already been suggested and I missed it– <Emily Litella> Never mind! </Emily Litella> :D)
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#84 Consubstantial

Consubstantial

Paradox by Incongruity

• Islander
  • 851 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

View PostAnna, on 29 May 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

Yay, Tricia! Good job!

If I may make a suggestion... Can we put this in a separate sticky so it's easy to find? I wouldn't think about looking in a thread titled "A Brief History of EI Moderation" to find a list of watchdogs. (And if this has already been suggested and I missed it– <Emily Litella> Never mind! </Emily Litella> :D)

Well . . . the subtitle said including watchdogs; so it was the first place I looked.  It was also where I asked about an update; so if it is in the wrong place, it is probably my fault.
From the start, our terms jump to conclusions--Kenneth Burke

#85 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

The original thread starter included WDs in his OP so I'd like to continue that...

but if we keep it updated, it gives us something updated to link to for future reference too when the question is asked again.

The idea is to make a completely new 'history of EI moderation' thread once the updated lists are complete and then to (hopefully) keep it updated from that point on.  There will be a link back to this thread and jon3831's work ...and I'm planning on quoting his initial post intro too.  

(like I did in my edit above and the request from Connie has helped me to do something I have wanted to do every time I saw this thread title...update)

Raeven also contributed, filling in 2006-2009 and I've already asked her to back-check me once I get a list going on the mods and admins.  I expect all of ya'll to let me know if I missed someone also. :hugs:

Edited by Tricia, 29 May 2012 - 11:12 AM.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#86 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostConsubstantial, on 29 May 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

View PostAnna, on 29 May 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

Yay, Tricia! Good job!

Well . . . the subtitle said including watchdogs; so it was the first place I looked.  It was also where I asked about an update; so if it is in the wrong place, it is probably my fault.
Oops! So it does! I guess after a while the subtitles just disappear to me. Frankly, this thread had been ignored for so many years that I didn't really notice it any more and would have gone on that way if it weren't for the recent posts. (A quick check says that there were no posts for about 6 years! Wow.)

I still think it might be easier if the moderation and watchdog lists were separate, but that's just me. I like things tidy and really, really obvious :).
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#87 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

I became the Beach Mod in February 2012. I became a Validating Admin in May 2007, I think; that's the earliest email or PM related to validations that I could find.

Edited by Raina, 11 June 2012 - 12:54 AM.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#88 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

Thank you, Raina.  

I've been lazy starting this project but this definitely helps. :)

edited to add--I'm up to early 2010 and good grief there have been a lot of changes just in that time!!  and a lot of holes that need to be filled in

Edited by Tricia, 11 June 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#89 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

I want to join in the applause and THANKS to Tricia for doing this! :) This is a bunch of work - and it is our history. :)

Thanks for keeping the legacy!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#90 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,615 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

I seem to recall that Orpheus had provided a narrative history of EI Moderation history, and how the Watchdogs came about.  Maybe incorporate that in the first post, and the subsequent posts can list the history year by year.

(shrug)

Just some thoughts -- I happen to like Orpheus' narrative histories of the EI.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users