• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:32 AM

Dean's not going to California. Or Texas. Or New York. Or South Dakota! And he won't be going to Washington DC to TAKE BACK THE WHITE HOUSE! YEARGH!

http://www.guardian....3762041,00.html

Dean's doing the smart thing by closing his campaign, but keeping the mechanism to keep his issues alive. The country is so evenly divided that the Democrats really can't afford any internal dissent; 2004 is going to be hard enough as it is.

-- Rov

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 18 February 2004 - 11:33 AM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 01:44 PM

While I hate to kick a man when he's down, and I don't think Dean was the vein-popping loony that the media caricatured him as, I'm not sorry to see him go.  As a candidate, he simply wasn't ready for prime time, and the primary process worked as it should have.  

Now it looks like it's down to Johnny Sunshine and the Boston Cadaver  (Gore Vidal once described Kerry as looking "a bit like Lincoln...after the assassination").  Should be a fun two-man primary.

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,653 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 02:51 PM

I think a Cadaver/Sunshine ticket might be just the . . . uh . . . ticket.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 02:54 PM

MuseZack, on Feb 18 2004, 06:42 PM, said:

Should be a fun two-man primary.
I wouldn't count on it.  I think the Boston Cadaver :D has this thing sealed up and nothing is going to stop the JFK Express from rolling coast-to-coast.  

Unless, of course, the JFK Express turns out to be more like a 75-ton 32 wheel nuclear powered doubledeck “Big Bus” on its maiden trip between NY and Denver that becomes hopelessly beset with one disaster after another as a result of the secret machinations of a madman saboteur in an iron lung. But I don’t think that’s going to happen. ;)

Banapis

Edited by Banapis, 18 February 2004 - 03:27 PM.

#5 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:15 PM

I almost voted for Dean yesterday, too, because I wanted him to stick around and be a big spoiler for everyone else.

But I didn't. I voted for the only Democrat on the list that I actually wouldn't mind seeing in the White House.

(Yes, Wisconsin has an open primary. Fun fun fun!)
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#6 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:32 PM

People were claiming that Kerry would be the big overall victor after he'd just won one state, on the principle that he had momentum.  If you believe in momentum, you must now believe Edwards has it, after winning one state and doing substantially better than expected in others and practically winning another, with 33 states left to go.

I wonder if Edwards is actually benefitting from Kerry's own downward momentum. Dean's message got him lots of attention from the "angry base" at first, but then he became too visible for his own good and the rest of the Democrat party dismissed him for exactly the same traits that had gotten him so far ahead. But Kerry's views, statements, "angry base" quotient, and shortcomings are the same as Dean's; he's just Dean on suppressants. If he continues to follow Dean's footsteps as he has in rising to the top, then his fall should come soon, as Democrat voters get too good of a look at him and try once again to find a candidate who's not a raving lunatic. And in the bunch that ran this year, that only leaves Edwards.

Edited by Delvo, 18 February 2004 - 03:34 PM.

#7 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:55 PM

I think the Democratic Party owes a debt to Howard Dean. He wasn't yet ready for prime-time (or at least there was a perception that he wasn't), but he did a lot to mobilize support and generate publicity for his party by putting up such a good fight. This has been the most interesting Democratic primary race in years.

Edited by Kevin Street, 18 February 2004 - 03:56 PM.

Per aspera ad astra

#8 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:02 PM

Kevin Street, on Feb 18 2004, 02:53 PM, said:

This has been the most interesting Democratic primary race in years.
You think so? I'd say that the race narrowed far too quickly, and the press has already crowned Kerry. It seems to me that it's one of the more typical (that is to say typically boring) races.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#9 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:14 PM

Well, they say that Edwards still has a chance, so I wouldn't bet too heavily on Kerry just yet. There's still some interest left there. ;)

And this race has spawned a lot of internet effluvia, which tends to get my attention pretty quickly. Dean has generated a lot of that with his Deaniacs and the "Yeeeargh!" speech. For instance, that Dean remix you linked to a while back was really funny. :p

#10 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:28 PM

Kevin Street, on Feb 18 2004, 03:12 PM, said:

And this race has spawned a lot of internet effluvia, which tends to get my attention pretty quickly. Dean has generated a lot of that with his Deaniacs and the "Yeeeargh!" speech. For instance, that Dean remix you linked to a while back was really funny. :p
Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you'll find dozens of "Dean Scream" remixes.  :cool:

#11 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,653 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:44 PM

Delvo, on Feb 18 2004, 03:30 PM, said:

If he continues to follow Dean's footsteps as he has in rising to the top, then his fall should come soon, as Democrat voters get too good of a look at him and try once again to find a candidate who's not a raving lunatic. And in the bunch that ran this year, that only leaves Edwards.
Uh-oh, I'm agreeing with Delvo on a political question.  The end is nigh!  :eek4:

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#12 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 05:14 PM

Delvo, on Feb 18 2004, 01:30 PM, said:

Dean's message got him lots of attention from the "angry base" at first,............ But Kerry's views, statements, "angry base" quotient, and shortcomings are the same as Dean's; he's just Dean on suppressants. If he continues to follow Dean's footsteps as he has in rising to the top, then his fall should come soon,............
:eh:  As a northern observer.....

When Dean was chugging along, I thought the Democrats would be insane to nominate him.  :crazy:

Kerry is slightly better but I tend to get very, very, sleepy when I hear him talk.  :sleeping:  :sleeping:  :sleeping:

...And, doesn't this guy have anything positive to say? :tired:

The way he talks you would think anarchy and chaos was one mighty short step away.   :thumbs-down:
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#13 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 05:19 PM

Do not ask for whom the scream tolls,
It tolls for thee.

-How'rd Deanne, from "Deanne is Donne", Sonnets and Screaming: An Anthology 1604

Edited by Uncle Sid, 18 February 2004 - 05:20 PM.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#14 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:34 PM

I've already mailed in my absentee ballot for Edwards.  but Florida's primary isn't until March 9th.  Here's to hoping it works out . . . I'm still rooting for him.  I will still vote for Kerry tho if he ends up garnering the nomination, tho I still prefer Edwards.

-Nick

#15 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:56 PM

Ditto Cardie!   :eek2:

Ditto Nick!  :thumbs-up:
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#16 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 10:57 PM

Well now we can focus on Kerry winning the primary, and then HE CAN TAKE OVER THE WHITE HOUSE!

:p
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, Howard Dean, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users