49 replies to this topic

#21 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:09 PM

kimmer, on Feb 22 2004, 07:54 PM, said:

I think you misunderstood what I said. I was talking about the proposed ammendment and that I was not in favor of it. I'm aware of the original language of the constitution - just quoted it on another board. ;)
You are right Kimmer I misunderstood. I was thinking you wanted to have a clearer answer about where it was.

#22 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:12 PM

I like the Constitution fine the way it is.

I did love Arnie's coy "hadn't considered it." If he hadn't considered it, why is he talking about it?

He's only been Governor for 3 months. Give me a break.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#23 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:12 PM

Let me throw a big ol' monkey wrench into the "US born" fray. I was born in England. My Dad was in the US Air Force stationed in England when I was born. Technically, I can't be President, but also technically, I'm as American as any of you born here. What if I want to be President one day? Hmmmm...

Not that THAT'S ever going to happen, but there may be some military kids in the future with more ambition than me. ;)

Anna
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#24 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:17 PM

Well has England ever had a non English Prime Miister? That is one of the longest running elected offices in the world.

Anna to answer the question I do not know it might be totally ignored or it might be the stumbling block.  I just know what the law is right now and really see no reason to chnge it.

#25 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:29 PM

RPITA, on Feb 22 2004, 12:10 PM, said:

Let me throw a big ol' monkey wrench into the "US born" fray. I was born in England. My Dad was in the US Air Force stationed in England when I was born. Technically, I can't be President, but also technically, I'm as American as any of you born here. What if I want to be President one day? Hmmmm...

Not that THAT'S ever going to happen, but there may be some military kids in the future with more ambition than me. ;)

Anna
If your parents (or at least one of them) were US Citizens when you were born, then my understanding is that you would also be a US Citizen; and therefore eligible to run. Unless, of course, you renounced your US Citizenship (or your parents did it for you).  :unsure:

#26 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:51 PM

As a nation we claim to be a nation of immigrants united by common ideals rather than common bloodlines for lack of a better term.  I think our Consitition should reflect that in all aspects that it possiably can.  I think myself I would make it a basic requirement of having lived in the United States for 25 to 50 years but that is just how I would do it.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#27 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 04:00 PM

a few questions

1. It is my understanding that if you fight under the US flag, you become a US citizen, this was told to me by a US marine i met some time ago.

2. What about naturalised citizens?

3. Again, i have heard that if you are born on american soil, you gain citizenship?

4. What happens when you arrive in the US as a 1 year old, and are in all respects raised as American, by your naturalised parents? what practical reason does the constitution in that respect serve by denying you the right to run for president?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#28 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 04:03 PM

I do think that natural born means born to at lest one parent that held US citizenship, not specifically where you were born, but what citizenship you were born with ( and still claim legally)

I too am of the mind that the Consitiution should not be ammended lightly.

How ever the notion that a 'natural born' president would be better - for being 'naturally born' - than an immigrant is just plain silly.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#29 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 04:43 PM

While the natural born rule is not perfect, I also am not all that interested in someone who became a citizen after 5 years suddenly being eligible for the Presidency.  I think there does need to be some rather long period of time where someone is a citizen first before they are eligible.  

I've got nothing against immigrants, but I do think that many times they have lived too long under other systems.  Granted, excluding all but natural-born is not going to work perfectly in this regard, but it is something.  The idea of foreign born Presidents just puts me in mind of the barbarian military leaders that Rome used in it's final days.  They were not necessarily bad leaders, nor uncommitted to Rome, but it did represent a failure of the core Roman population to put forth a leader to  rule them properly.

The fact is that the huge majority of people will *never* run for President, so this isn't really an incredibly big deal.  Anyone who becomes a naturalized citizen gets a lot of benefit from that, I don't see why it's necessary to open *everything* up to them.  

I'm not going to protest if someone does open it up, but I probably wouldn't vote for it... *especially* if it's being done for a "personality" like an Arnold.  I don't like the idea of changing the Constitution to suit one man's ambition, even if he's not being malicious.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#30 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 05:03 PM

Citizenship isn't the question. "Natural born" is. I am a US citizen, always have been, since both my parents were Americans. (A New Yorker and a Texan- it isn't possible to have more "American" parents than mine! :lol:) It's my understanding that "natural born" has always been taken to mean that they were born in this country. I wasn't. And, I was naturalized when I was about 2 years old, after we got back to the States. It was just what was done back then. So, even with two US citizens as parents, I had to be naturalized. Does throw the monkey wrench even farther, doesn't it?

Anna
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#31 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 05:36 PM

Still waiting for my answer about forgien Prime ministers of England. Or Chancellor's of Germany or Premires of France?  They to my knowledge have never had one in any of these places.  Why suddenly is it a matter of saying let's be first in doing it? Is there a prize for being the first?

#32 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 07:08 PM

Info about U.S.citizenship

http://usmilitary.ab...w.ins.usdoj.gov

Naturalization FAQs

http://usmilitary.ab...w.ins.usdoj.gov

I don't think that foreign born members of the military are automatically eligible for citizenhip.  I believe that they have to have served for at least 3 years before they apply for citizenship &  there may be other requirements.  There's additional info at the site.

#33 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:44 AM

Nureek, on Feb 22 2004, 01:33 PM, said:

I'm curious. For those of who are against a foreign born person becoming president, can I ask why?
There's a little thing called the Constitution, for starters. I happen to like it just fine the way it is.

Secondly, I'm just not comfortable with the idea of a foreign national being *our* Commander in Chief...it just doesn't sit right with me.

I keep getting the image of Saddam, or Osama, sitting in the oval office...And shivers run down my spine...Of course, being a natural born U. S citizen is no guarentee...I also picture Johnny Taliban, or someone like him that hasn't committed a crime yet, sitting in the oval office, and again shivers run down my spine.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#34 TravelerOfTheWays

TravelerOfTheWays

Botherbotherbother

• Islander
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:49 AM

LORD, I'm curious about something.  When I hear the phrase "Johnny Taliban," I think of John Walker Lindh.  Now, if that isn't what you meant then just ignore the rest of this question.  If so, I don't see how limiting our presidents to natural-born citizens is going to prevent a Johnny Taliban from gaining the office.   It's always the slimmest of possibilities that president who had a secret agenda to destroy the US could gain the office.  

If that's not what you meant, then I feel exceedingly silly pointing this out :D

Personally, I'm surprised how open many people seem to be of a foreign-born president.  Honestly, it's something I've never considered before.
"The corollary, of course, is that a Western man who treats women like they're, you know, people has an absurdly easy time of things. It's like a sexy lady liquidation event. NO REASONABLE OFFER WILL BE REFUSED."

~Rov

#35 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:53 AM

^

That's who I meant, yes.

If so, I don't see how limiting our presidents to natural-born citizens is going to prevent a Johnny Taliban from gaining the office

That was the point I was trying to make...Just because a person is US born, doesn't mean he's the right one for the job. The mere thought of a person like Lindh as President....*Shudders*

Sorry if I didn't make that clearer...somewhat tired over here right now.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#36 Cauda

Cauda

~~~~~~~~~~~>

• Islander
  • 608 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 06:17 AM

G1223, on Feb 22 2004, 10:34 PM, said:

Still waiting for my answer about forgien Prime ministers of England.
Andrew Bonar Law, who became British prime minister in 1922, was born in Canada.
An enigma, wrapped up in a riddle, with a tail in the middle.

#37 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:26 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Feb 23 2004, 01:42 AM, said:

I keep getting the image of Saddam, or Osama, sitting in the oval office...And shivers run down my spine...Of course, being a natural born U. S citizen is no guarentee...I also picture Johnny Taliban, or someone like him that hasn't committed a crime yet, sitting in the oval office, and again shivers run down my spine.
We have plenty of American bred and born nuts who would be just as dangerous if not more so than a foreign one.  Myself I just don't consider the clause to be available security measure anymore as long as you figure in a 25 year or 30 year period of citizenship.  We have checks and balances in the system that act against something like this including impeachment.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#38 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 11:47 PM

Cauda, on Feb 23 2004, 04:15 AM, said:

G1223, on Feb 22 2004, 10:34 PM, said:

Still waiting for my answer about forgien Prime ministers of England.
Andrew Bonar Law, who became British prime minister in 1922, was born in Canada.
Sure, but isn't Canada..like...a suburb of England? :p :p :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#39 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:38 AM

It was in 1922.

#40 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:41 AM

you didn't ask, 'did they have a foreign prime minister in the last election' you asked, as a challenge,

Well has England ever had a non English Prime Miister? That is one of the longest running elected offices in the world
and the answer is yes, challenge met.

Edited by Godeskian, 25 February 2004 - 12:43 AM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Schwarzenegger, Politics-American, President

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users