Schwarzenegger Politics-American President

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:08 AM

It's been reported that Schwarzenegger warned that the gay marriages must stop or riots would result. Strangely, I've been seeing no riots over this, but maybe I haven't been looking in the right places. Now, if Schwarzenegger was perhaps trying to *incite* riots by putting this idea in people's minds, then shame on him. Just my opinion.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#42 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:27 AM

^ He is referring to the handful of protestors in San Francisco.  Nothing at all really happened, yah it is all in his mind.  Newsome invited Arnie to come to SF and talk to some of the folks that got married.  Put a human face on an issue, what a concept!

Check out sfgate.com lots of good stories there.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#43 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:33 AM

I'd rather have socially moderate, fiscally responsible Arnold as the face of the Republican Party than Trent Lott, Tom DeLay, and the rest of the extra chromosone set.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#44 Cauda

Cauda

~~~~~~~~~~~>

• Islander
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:06 AM

G1223, on Feb 22 2004, 08:15 PM, said:

Well has England ever had a non English Prime Minister? That is one of the longest running elected offices in the world.
Actually, because I'm a pedantic sort of guy, I think I should point out that the current 'English' prime minister was not born in England, nor was the man who will be challenging him at the next election.
An enigma, wrapped up in a riddle, with a tail in the middle.

#45 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 02:38 PM

G1223 said:
Well has England ever had a non English Prime Miister?

Yes. David Lloyd George, World War I Prime Minister, was a Welshman.
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#46 Beldame

Beldame
  • Islander
  • 644 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:28 AM

To be a Member of Parliament and therefore a potential Prime Minister in the UK you have to be over 21 and a British citizen. Therefore you could apply to become a citizen and become Prime Minister one day.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

(Douglas Adams)

#47 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:56 AM

Ilphi, on Feb 25 2004, 07:36 PM, said:

G1223 said:
Well has England ever had a non English Prime Miister?

Yes. David Lloyd George, World War I Prime Minister, was a Welshman.
Being an ignorant  colonizl isn't Wales  a part of England or at least was at the time Llyod  George was PM? That is like saying the President Roosevelt was a New Yorker?

#48 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,360 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:30 AM

I've thought about this a lot... trying to figure out if there was really and truly something wrong with a requirement to be a natural born citizen in order to become President.  

I've finally concluded that it's not.  I think it is the priviledge of every citizen of the United States to be born with the idea that if they wanted to, they could aspire for the highest office in the land.  That said - I think that that should apply to all US territories and possessions.  Does it?

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#49 Beldame

Beldame
  • Islander
  • 644 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:34 AM

Being an ignorant colonizl isn't Wales a part of England or at least was at the time Llyod George was PM? That is like saying the President Roosevelt was a New Yorker?
Quote G1223

If you ever meet a Welshman and want to survive the encounter, don't say that Wales is part of England!  Wales was conquered by England in the thirteenth century and they are still pretty cross about it. England,Wales and Scotland are part of Great Britain, add in Northern Ireland to get The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

(Douglas Adams)

#50 Cauda

Cauda

~~~~~~~~~~~>

• Islander
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:38 AM

Yes, saying Wales (or Scotland) is a part of England is like saying Indiana is a part of Ohio.  :eek4:
Strictly speaking, there is no "Prime Minister of England", just a Prime Minister of the UK.
An enigma, wrapped up in a riddle, with a tail in the middle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Schwarzenegger, Politics-American, President

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users