• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:35 PM

Italics are property of Miss Peppermint. Regular text is me.

Rov and I were just chatting on MSN, when I saw on the news about changing the name of "french fries" to "freedom fries".  I went, "HUH?"

This is entirely insipid, albeit nothing America hasn't gone through before. Consequentially, Monique and I came up with a game.

Yes, a game.  Games are fun.  ;). Anyway, Rov had me ROFL at his suggestions on other things to change to "freedom" such as...........

Freedom Kissing
Freedom Vanilla
Freedom Maid Outfits
Freedom Poodles
Freedom Braiding

Feel free to play around with other formulas... for instance, Russian Dressing could become Liberty Dressing.

Monique falls off her chair laughing,  her purple tail thumping the ground.

Have at you!
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 11:24 PM

:suspect: :suspect:

Erm.... would you like the white coats now or later? :devil: ;)

And insomnia has clearly taken its toll.... yeah, yeah, I know, like I'm one to talk.... :p
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#3 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 11:47 PM

I dunno about you guys, but I will continue to call them French Fries.  I don't call German Potato soup anything different because they opposed us in WWII. Russian Dressing anything, because they opposed us in the Cold War.......would we call Cuban Cigars anything different , because Castro is a Communist? Should we banish Chinese Restaurants away because they're communist? No I think this is a very bad move indeed.

Rommie
Posted Image

#4 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 11:49 PM

I wonder if there's a connection here: French Chef Commits Suicide After Bad Review
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#5 iMel

iMel

New and improved!

• Islander
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 12:03 AM

I'm sure not going to stop calling them French fries.  Although Freedom Kissing makes it sound more patriotic and productive. ;)
I use these words pretty loosely. There's so much more to life than words.
--Over the Rhine, "Latter Days"

Formerly known as Neozephryus :)

#6 Lina

Lina

This too shall pass

• Islander
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 12:35 AM

Neozephyrus, on Feb 26 2003, 12:05 AM, said:

I'm sure not going to stop calling them French fries.
Me too. I have hard enough time trying to figure out names of the streets in my own city, since half of them were renamed in last twelve years, and besides I live in a city that was renamed 3 times in 300 (anniversary this year) of its existence. If I'll start renaming food... :rolleyes:  :crazy: :wacko:

Lina

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 12:37 AM

jeez

what is it withn all you guys

they are called Chips!!! :D

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#8 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 12:44 AM

Godeskian, on Feb 25 2003, 01:39 PM, said:

jeez

what is it withn all you guys

they are called Chips!!! :D
So, when you go to McDonalds over there, you order yourself a Big Mac and a Coke, and they ask, "You want any chips with that?"

Silly McDonalds. :p

Rommie :whatsthat:
Posted Image

#9 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 12:55 AM

RommieSG, on Feb 25 2003, 09:46 PM, said:

So, when you go to McDonalds over there, you order yourself a Big Mac and a Coke, and they ask, "You want any chips with that?"
haven't been to a McDisgusting in a long while

but no, id ask for a big mac, a coke and chips before some insipid high school drop out asks me if i want fries with that  :D

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#10 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 01:00 AM

Godeskian, on Feb 25 2003, 01:57 PM, said:

but no, id ask for a big mac, a coke and chips before some insipid high school drop out asks me if i want fries with that  :D
SEE!!! I Knew they asked about Fries!!!! :D :D :D

Rommie :wideeyed:
Posted Image

#11 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 01:34 AM

RommieSG, on Feb 26 2003, 12:02 AM, said:

Godeskian, on Feb 25 2003, 01:57 PM, said:

SEE!!! I Knew they asked about Fries!!!! :D :D :D

Rommie :wideeyed:
For what its worth, in Israel they ask about “tzschips” :p
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#12 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,751 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 03:00 AM

Neozephyrus, on Feb 25 2003, 01:05 PM, said:

I'm sure not going to stop calling them French fries.  Although Freedom Kissing makes it sound more patriotic and productive. ;)
Ha!!  I love that idea, Neo!  :D  :devil: :angel:

#13 StarGazer

StarGazer

... --- ... ... --- ...

• Islander
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 04:08 AM

:suspect:
Posted Image

#14 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 04:22 AM

I hope this won’t interfere with my plans to include all of France as part of EuroDisney…    :devil:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#15 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 04:24 AM

I've been doing this off and on for weeks as a joke...

Only I've been calling them "Liberty Potatoes" instead...

And absolutely no comment whatsoever on "Liberty kissing"   :angel:  :angel:

:devil:
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#16 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 04:49 AM

^
Meep.  I am deeply frightened. :eek: :eek:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#17 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 05:08 AM

^Why?

You know me better than that. ;) ;) ;)

:angel:  :angel:
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#18 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 05:10 AM

Neozephyrus, on Feb 25 2003, 04:05 PM, said:

I'm sure not going to stop calling them French fries.  Although Freedom Kissing makes it sound more patriotic and productive. ;)
We all must do our duty to 'The Party'.  It's double-plus-ungood to think otherwise . . .

:sarcasm:

-Nick

#19 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 05:12 AM

RommieSG, on Feb 25 2003, 02:49 PM, said:

I dunno about you guys, but I will continue to call them French Fries.  I don't call German Potato soup anything different because they opposed us in WWII. Russian Dressing anything, because they opposed us in the Cold War.......would we call Cuban Cigars anything different , because Castro is a Communist? Should we banish Chinese Restaurants away because they're communist? No I think this is a very bad move indeed.

Rommie
But those other things are named for countries that actually have something to do with their origin (especially the potato soup and cigars; ordinarily, nobody calls them by the names you gave UNLESS the version being spoken about is TRULY from that place). There's never been anything even faintly French about French fries.

Anyway, it's just the one guy doing it at his own restaurant. There are plenty of other restaurants with funky names for foods because their owners just felt like it.

As for re-naming those other quasi-French things, why not? "French" is probably one of the most most-misused words in our language, so many things are called French that aren't. It's about time we fix that linguistic nonsense!... although it doesn't always have to be by renaming-them "freedom" whatevers...

#20 bobdylanite

bobdylanite

Certifiably Bobsessed

• Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 05:17 AM

CJ AEGIS, on Feb 25 2003, 08:24 PM, said:

I hope this won’t interfere with my plans to include all of France as part of EuroDisney…    :devil:
Hehe, EuroDisney (now called Disneyland Paris) is just plain COOL! :p  :cool: )  Their rollercoasters are better than in Disneyworld, and I saw a whole Winnie the Pooh show half in french and half in english.  What more could a person need. :D
The machine guns are roaring, The puppets heave rocks
The fiends nail time bombs to the hands of the clocks
Call me any name you like, I will never deny it
Farewell Angelina, The sky is erupting
I must go where it's quiet.
-Bob Dylan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: France, Freedom Fries

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users