• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 08:15 AM

And here's the recipe for Freedom Toast, courtesy of scumbuster:  http://genslab.com/scumbuster/
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#22 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 10:59 AM

CJ AEGIS, on Feb 26 2003, 01:24 AM, said:

I hope this won’t interfere with my plans to include all of France as part of EuroDisney…    :devil:
Don't worry, i still believe that a reasonably eficent troop of girl scouts can take france in a straight fight

so you shouldn't have a problem conquering it and turning it into a theme park  :devil:

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#23 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,598 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 08:15 PM

To me, the complete and disturbing parochialism of the people who want to call them "Freedom fries" is this: THE FRENCH WOULD BE THRILLED TO NOT  BE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PARTICULAR LOW-BROW AMERICAN DISH.

Now, don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with the Fries themselves. In fact, Belgian Fries (twice fried and served with dozens of sauces) are heavenly, and much beloved in France. However,  the name "French Fries" is pretty much  limited to the US (In Britain, they're "chips") and therefore around the world refers to the ultra-simple, often tasty, but hardly sophisticated version served at McD's BK, and the like. KFC (which has a growing international following, and is considereda legitimate ethnic cuisine, vs. generic burgers) doesn't use the term

The French call "French Fries" pommes frites (pronounced 'pom freets') or 'fried potatoes' (actually, technically, that would be "fried apples" but everyone understands that "pommes" refers to "pommes du terre"  or "apples of the earth" as potatoes are called in French). The Germans simply call them "pommes"  (pronounced  like the English word 'pumice')  using the French word for potato (German is "Kartoffel")  so you could say that they are calling them "French potatoes" in a sideways fashion, but they would never call them "Pommes (or Kartoffeln) Franzoesischen" or French Potatoes. Most other European nations call "good" fries "pommes", some call thick fries "chaps (al the British) while "French Fries usually means boring American Fries

Anyone who thinks this rename will result in anything but dancing in the streets of Paris needs to try some real food,  quit dating thier cousins, and maybe do some traveling outside their state/county [No, wait -- Our reputation for being "Ugly Americans"  is already bad enough, abroad)

#24 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 09:06 AM

as a side note

the dutch word is patat

p (a as in apple)t (a as in awwww)t

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#25 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 10:44 AM

Well I happen to agree with the French on this one but also:

what Rommie SG said.

These people SERIOUSLY need to get a little perspective.
Posted Image

#26 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 10:48 AM

i really don't get the point of renaming food
i mean, a french fry by any other name will still be as greasy  :lol:

Edited by Godeskian, 28 February 2003 - 10:50 AM.

Defy Gravity!

#27 BunRab

BunRab

Cleverly Disguised as an Earthling

• Islander
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 11:39 PM

Delvo, on Feb 25 2003, 08:09 PM, said:

RommieSG, on Feb 25 2003, 02:49 PM, said:

I dunno about you guys, but I will continue to call them French Fries.  I don't call German Potato soup anything different because they opposed us in WWII. Russian Dressing anything, because they opposed us in the Cold War.......would we call Cuban Cigars anything different , because Castro is a Communist? Should we banish Chinese Restaurants away because they're communist? No I think this is a very bad move indeed.

Rommie
But those other things are named for countries that actually have something to do with their origin (especially the potato soup and cigars; ordinarily, nobody calls them by the names you gave UNLESS the version being spoken about is TRULY from that place). There's never been anything even faintly French about French fries.

Anyway, it's just the one guy doing it at his own restaurant. There are plenty of other restaurants with funky names for foods because their owners just felt like it.

As for re-naming those other quasi-French things, why not? "French" is probably one of the most most-misused words in our language, so many things are called French that aren't. It's about time we fix that linguistic nonsense!... although it doesn't always have to be by renaming-them "freedom" whatevers...
Actually - French fries were already re-named. Before WWI, they were German-style fried potatoes. During WWI, they got renamed because we were fighting Germany. That was the same time period as when the House of Hanover suddenly decided to change its name to Windsor, since Hanover sounded awfully German to be ruling England... and in point of fact was German; the Kings George in the 18th and 19th century spoke German first, English as a second language.

#28 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 12:49 AM

I like the suggestion one of my friends had on this topic.  Rather than naming these thing Liberty/Freedom whatever maybe we should name them after the countries supporting us.

Think of Czechoslovakian Kissing….  :p  :lol:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#29 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 12:56 AM

uhm

somehow i think french kissing sounds better

although, there was that one vacation to tjechia (after they seperated  :blush: )

Defy Gravity!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: France, Freedom Fries

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users