Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Best argument against gay marriage I've seen yet.

LGBT Same sex Marriage

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#141 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:07 PM

Are we truly so ego-centric that we believe that EVERY other variation of family on this planet is INFERIOR to our nuclear family structure which has arisen only in the last century....and which could *only* exist in a society of great wealth where social ties can be disregarded????

Yes.

I disagree with it, but conservatives, with their belief that, "how things were is how things should be", are consistent in believing this (since that's pretty much the definition of a conservative).

#142 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:35 PM

Drew, on Mar 3 2004, 07:15 AM, said:

[Tangent]
If they're in your house--and in your care--then you have as much "say" as you need.

When we're watching our nieces and nephew, we're much more strict with them than their parents are. (Arguably, we've got less say than you do.) After about a half-day adjustment to our "rules," they suddenly become much calmer, nicer kids.

So I say put your foot down! And don't worry about whether it makes you the "evil stepmom." :cool: 

I enjoy being the "mean and cranky old uncle."
[/Tangent]
[continuing tangent]
I do put my foot down a lot.  A lot more than is comfortable for their Dad.  It is my house, but it is hubby's house too, so that changes the dynamic.  It is different than having nieces and nephews who are guests in the house.  And believe me there is a lot of adjustment from the behavior they bring from their mom's house.

But, I have learned I have to pick my battles.  Having them do dishes and homework are much more important than my micromanaging what cartoons they watch in the morning.  I do cut them off by 11 am and evening programs are my choice unless they want to watch shows in their treehouse.  Since it does have cable they have to watch videos of approved shows.

But thanks for the cheers of support, I do appreciate it and it does help me to continue fighting.  It is very hard to be the lone woman against four strong willed males!!!! [/continuing tangent]
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#143 Beldame

Beldame
  • Islander
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 01:04 PM

''Monogamous marriage is by far the most effective foundation for a civilization''

The sweeping ethnocentricity of this statement is breathtaking.
How we do it= civilization. How about the Chinese empire,Persia, India, the Arab Empire.....

I also find it distasteful that he suggests that homosexuals who want to marry just find someone of the opposite sex willing to oblige. What kind of marriage would that be, without real love or commitment? what about any unfortunate children of such a marriage?  

then there is the bit at the end:
''our alliegence to America will become zero....we will teach our children to have no loyalty ..stop regarding the authority of the government as having any legitimacy''

Everyone follows my rules or I'm not joining in anymore..It would sound like a six year old in a tantrum if it didn't also sound a deeply sinister little threat.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

(Douglas Adams)

#144 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 05:58 PM

I disagree with it, but conservatives, with their belief that, "how things were is how things should be", are consistent in believing this (since that's pretty much the definition of a conservative).

Let's be clear here.  In terms of family structure, very few conservatives believe that:

A) That what we'd call an ideal structure is something that matches every circumstance.  It is after all, an "ideal".  

B) That we used to universally have such an ideal structure.

C) That a "nuclear" family somehow excludes the extended family situations that have existed for hundreds of years.  

The problem is that politics tends to push for simple slogans and answers, especially in a democratic society.  So you have conservative politicians talking about "family values" and liberals talking about "human rights", both of them equally nebulous and misleading concepts.  

As a conservative myself, I have nothing at all against adaptation and progress.  The only thing that defines my conservatism is to proceed cautiously and to not step over lines just because they are there to step over.  That certainly does not mean heading back to any sort of Dark Ages or turning back the clock.  It does mean that we don't pull our arm out of joint trying to grasp things that we can only barely reach.  It means considering the ethics behind decisions and creating a workable framework to make decisions *before* jumping in and unleashing something new on society.  It also means saying "No" to certain things that could have long term dangers even if the potential for short term satisfaction or gain is high.

Of course, there's more than one type of conservative out there, just like there is more than one type of liberal out there.  There are some fruitcakes that fall under the conservative umbrella and some that fall under the liberal one.  However, there are few conservatives that actually do fall under the extremist label and no two are perfectly alike.  It's unfortunate that all people of one general grouping or another get tarred with the same brush.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#145 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:59 PM

Well said Sid.  Not everyone is going to pleased with these changes, but I hope some middle ground can be found to accomodate as many as possible.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LGBT, Same sex Marriage

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users