• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:37 AM

Well, it doesn't appear that the Attorney General of Wisconsin will be losing her job for breaking the law. So much for holding our elected officials to higher standards. She got a fine that equals the amount of one paycheck, and will have her license revoked for a year. Otherwise, . . . that's it. It's good to be the king!

Madison - Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager agreed to pay the state $3,250, the equivalent of 10 days' pay, as a penalty for her arrest last week on drunk driving charges.

The Department of Justice said in a statement Tuesday that Lautenschlager, the state's top law enforcement official, will write a personal check to the state for the amount of salary she would have received during the 10-day period.

She will continue to work as attorney general during the period for which she will receive no pay. Lautenschlager was arrested last week after she drove her state-owned car into a Dodge County ditch. Her blood alcohol level was 0.12 percent, well above the state's legal limit of 0.08.

Lautenschlager, a Democrat elected in 2002, pleaded guilty to operating while intoxicated and refusing to take a blood test. She paid a $784 fine for the charges and will have her driver's license revoked for one year. She also will undergo legally required counseling to assess her drinking habits.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:17 AM

I am going to wonmder what the courts will do up there when the next suspect pulls out his checkbook and says he's ready to pay the 3,200 dollars fine and is ready to go onhis way.

Judge: What do you mean pay? You are being sentenced to jail for 10 days.

Defenent. : Your Honor the state has set the president of just paying to the court the amount of $3,200 dollars and then letting the offender going free.

Judge : That was a special case.

Defendent: Why becasue it was the States Atterny. I do not see the precident that says " All people are Equal. Some are more Equal than others" but if that is your decision I must file an immedate appeal.

We fade out.

Basically this is why she should have had the measure and more than the measure laid up along side her head for this crap. If it's an election year go help her oppostion.

#3 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:38 AM

G1223, on Mar 3 2004, 09:15 AM, said:

I am going to wonmder what the courts will do up there when the next suspect pulls out his checkbook and says he's ready to pay the 3,200 dollars fine and is ready to go onhis way.
Technically, I think her punishment is in line with what a first-time offender would face in Wisconsin. However, I can't help but think that as Attorney General--who was driving a state vehicle at the time of her arrest, and who refused to take a blood-alcohol test--she should be expected to step down.

It's the refusal to take the test that causes the automatic 1-year driving suspension. A first-time DWI arrest requires a 6-month to 1-year suspension. So I should think that Lautenschlager would have at least an 18 to 24-month suspension. But I guess not.

Here's what Governor Doyle had to say,

The governor says pleading guilty tooperating while intoxicated doesn't excuse her from driving a state vehicle after drinking. Governor Doyle, who was the previous state attorney general, is especially upset that Lautenschlager refused to take a blood test.

"This is not just that she was picked up, that's bad. I often said I was very unhappy she refused to the take the test. We really as A.G. and [district attorney] tried to preach for years you should take the test, that's what the law requires you to do."

The governor went on to say, "I think she is not done with this. She does have to answer both on the facts that occured and the level of discipline is, and I think how I'm going to feel about this is really going to depend on what her next step is."

Governor Doyle has not called on Lautenschlager to resign -- she is an elected official, so he holds little power over her office. The governor said the two have not spoke since her arrest.

Prior to being elected to the Governorship, Doyle was Attorney General.

Edited by Drew, 03 March 2004 - 10:45 AM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#4 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:13 PM

This is an elected office right?

#5 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:26 PM

G1223, on Mar 3 2004, 02:11 PM, said:

This is an elected office right?
Yep.

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:29 PM

Drew, on Mar 3 2004, 06:35 AM, said:

Well, it doesn't appear that the Attorney General of Wisconsin will be losing her job for breaking the law. So much for holding our elected officials to higher standards. She got a fine that equals the amount of one paycheck, and will have her license revoked for a year. Otherwise, . . . that's it. It's good to be the king!
Out of curiosity.  Was this a first time offense and what is the maximum penalty under applicable law for what she did (first offense or not).
Posted Image

#7 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:36 PM

Drew see if there is a comitte not for the election of any but a comitee to just vote her out.

Lil it may be only what the alw allows for  but this is the person who is to uphold the laws. I think made a campain promise to get drunk drivers and  the stupid woman goies out and gets tanked and drives into a ditch.

Lil you would hate the G1223 rant on public servant (Be they police officers to mayor to Atty.Gen) who violates the laws and the EXTRA level of punishment they deserve.

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:46 PM

Well again I ask what the law *is*.  The question of whether holders of public office should be subject to stricter laws and/or punishment is another issue.  The question is whether the punishment this person received was lenient, the maximum, or something in between under the law as it is...

It's just a question.

Lil
Posted Image

#9 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:16 PM

Legally, I have to agree that she shouldn't have been sent up the river for that IF that is in line with consistent sentencing.  

However, it's entirely a different question whether she should resign because she failed to set a proper example as an Attorney-General.  In this case, I'd think that would be the most appropriate thing to do.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:43 AM

Well, actually you have the Mayor of SF for setting the precedent of not being subject to the laws of the State...But that's another issue.

Suffice it to say, she got treated like royality.

You tell me what other job you could drive the company, or State, car while drunk and NOT loose your job?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:46 AM

Well there are two separate issues:  1) was her punishment consistent with the law; 2) what impact did it/should it have had on her job.  On the first I'm still wondering what the law in Wisconsin demands for her type of offense.  On the second, it's not a shoe in lots.  Lots of people get duis.  If every single one of them got fired for it, unemployment would be even worse than it even is.

Lil
Posted Image

#12 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 10:46 AM

^ She's one of few that actually drives her own car.

This is why there's never been a President caught DUI on the job.... someone else is always drivin'.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#13 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 06:43 PM

Here's a link to the Wisconsin statutes.

From what I've read on WI's DUI law, first-time offenders lose their license for 6 to 9 months and pay a fine--so the punishment is consistent.  However, refusing the blood test is a separate offense although I haven't found what the consequences of that one are.

-Nick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wisconsin, AG Peg Lautenschlager, DWI, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users