#21 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 07:57 PM

Here is another article I found on this from newsmax.com

http://newsmax.com/a.../5/172951.shtml

This doesn't sound like he is going to be spending hardly any time on this, especially office hours...

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#22 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 08:00 PM

Well, it may not actually be harmful in this case, but it sure doesn't look good. If this sort of "moonlighting" were to be considered acceptable, then it would blur the boundaries of conflict of interest and hurt the overall effectiveness of the Governor. A bodybuilding magazine might be acceptable because there's no obvious conflict, but what if Arnold became the editor of a trade magazine in the real estate industry? (Just to pick real estate at random.) If his administration then went on to make decisions that benefited big land owners, the editorial job might look like he was getting a kickback from the people his government was helping, even if he wasn't. All in all, it would be better if he stayed neutral and refrained from doing any "extra" jobs while he's Governor.

If that were the case, I could see the problem. However, here there's no clear conflict of interest, and there's no evidence he'll even be spending any time working on the job. If Arnold does do something like what you're using as an example, I'll be on board... but I don't think this particular case is harmful.

What Arnold *should* have done is earmarked half the salary to go straight to CA's general fund. Then, he could legitimately argue that he's helping the state by taking the job. Seems fair to me.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#23 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:37 PM

Definately agree Rov, we need all the help we can get!!!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#24 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 12:13 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Mar 8 2004, 06:58 PM, said:

What Arnold *should* have done is earmarked half the salary to go straight to CA's general fund. Then, he could legitimately argue that he's helping the state by taking the job. Seems fair to me.
Don't forget he already gave up his Governor's salary, (pennies compared to what he still makes, but at least it's not even more coming out of the taxpayer's pockets)

Corwin

Edited by Corwin, 09 March 2004 - 12:13 PM.

"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#25 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 12:57 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Mar 6 2004, 03:08 PM, said:

HubcapDave, on Mar 6 2004, 01:03 PM, said:

Is this any worse than Gov. Ventura doing color commentary on XFL games?
ooooooooooooooh Jesse the Body, now THERE'S a model governer to use as a model.  Gimme a break Dave!!    :eek4:
I think Jesse also got to play "Guest Referee" for some WWF matches during his tenure.  :whistle:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#26 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:30 PM

Kevin Street, on Mar 8 2004, 05:29 PM, said:

Seriously though, how do you avoid conflict of interest (or at least the appearance of conflict of interest), if you do other jobs while in office? The vast majority of government corruption starts out that way, or in similar ways, imo. A friend asks an official to help out his company by making a few phone calls, say, and the friends pays the official back by giving him (or his family) shares in the company, or he donates a few extra bucks to the official's "deferred compensation" from when he worked with the company, or he gives him the use of the corporate jet, a good deal on a house, a spiffy position on the board of executives for when he retires from public life - or he gives the official a nice easy "extra" job to do while still in office. There are so many ways that politicians can be corrupt, it only makes sense, imo, to limit the possibilities of what they can get away with while they're in office. They'll probably do all the same stuff and wait until they retire to get the rewards, but at least we can keep the sleaze to a minimum while they work for us.
I don't have a clue. I was absolutely serious when I said that elected officials, particularly on the state and federal level, are expected as a matter of ethics to give up outside interests while they serve.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users