Election 2004 Theressa Kerry John Kerry Democrats

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 05:51 PM

What is the point of this thread? Imo, it seems pretty content free.

We really need to talk about something other than politics around here, just to clear the air a bit.

#22 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:20 PM

Kevin Street, on Mar 9 2004, 04:49 PM, said:

If so, your post is equally content free.  :p
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#23 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:31 PM

Kevin Street, on Mar 9 2004, 05:49 PM, said:

We really need to talk about something other than politics around here, just to clear the air a bit.
This is a Presidental election year, you sort of have to expect this amount of talk about politics. :eek2:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#24 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:36 PM

^ Well, in the spirit of both, DWF, I believe I must ask Drew a question...

Drew, does your avatar signify your support of the Phillipe 4 Prez in '04 campaign? ;)
cervisiam tene rem specta

#25 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:01 PM

Kevin Street, on Mar 9 2004, 05:49 PM, said:

Perhaps we could talk about history or current events. Since, you know, this forum's not devoted to talking about politics alone, after all.

You know what I like? History. Stuff blew up. Stuff blew up good. Stuff blew up REAL good..... mmmmmm, stuff blowing up.

Also, presumably, there was love. Else none of us would be here.

So, you know, love and stuff blowing up. That's a topic.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#26 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:07 PM

Yeah but, we talk about Andromeda all the time. :D
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#27 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:08 PM

the'Hawk, on Mar 9 2004, 04:59 PM, said:

Perhaps we could talk about history or current events. Since, you know, this forum's not devoted to talking about politics alone, after all.

You know what I like? History. Stuff blew up. Stuff blew up good. Stuff blew up REAL good..... mmmmmm, stuff blowing up.

Also, presumably, there was love. Else none of us would be here.

I hear ya. Hm. Maybe it's time to start some new threads...

#28 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:11 PM

^ I think we're overdue for a "who would do Laura Bush" thread, tbh.... she looks fairly swoony.

Yeah, I'm being a chauvinist prick, but in this thread, that's an improvement!

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  

#29 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:17 PM

But she's married! I mean, heck, it just wouldn't be kosher.

Just to try and be more clear, I'm not against political threads per se, but it's just that we have almost nothing else in OT these days. I know there'll always be a lot of political stuff here, especially in an election year like this one, but we need more diversity, imo.

#30 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:24 PM

Then start a thread?  Would that be too much to ask?

#31 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:46 PM

Nuts to what Laura Bush would do.  The real question I keep asking myself is "What would Jared do?"  ;)

Banapis

#32 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:48 PM

^ There's a couple things I'd like for Jared to do. Namely, go to hell. ;)

#33 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:22 PM

Jid, on Mar 9 2004, 05:34 PM, said:

Drew, does your avatar signify your support of the Phillipe 4 Prez in '04 campaign? ;)
I've used this avatar occasionally since before he was running for Prez.  :cool:  So, no, I haven't completely decided to support Phillipe.  (Finally! Someone recognized Phillipe!)

Edited by Drew, 09 March 2004 - 08:24 PM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#34 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:25 PM

Kevin Street, on Mar 9 2004, 03:49 PM, said:

LOL, Kevin!  :p  :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#35 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:06 PM

Looking at Lileks' bleat again, it looks even dumber than it did the first time.  I look forward to his upcoming questions directed at Bush, such as:

When you interrupted a meeting between Condoleeza Rice and three senators to declare "F**k Saddam, we're taking him out," did you mean to imply that you planned on actually engaging in sexual intercourse with Saddam Hussein?

When you called New York Times reporter Adam Clymer a "major league a**hole," did you actually mean to state that Adam Clymer was an anus who played baseball for the American or National League?

When you confronted writer Al Hunt in a restaurant and screamed at him "You f***ing son of a b****.  I saw what you wrote.  We're not going to forget this," in front of his wife and young child, did really think that Mr. Hunt was the offspring of a female dog who was then engaged in an act of sexual intercourse?"

When you told a reporter that when not talking about politics, you and your father spent your time discussing "p***y," whose vaginas were you and your father referring to?  Laura's?  Barbara's?  Or other, as yet unspecificed vaginas?
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#36 Munrock

Munrock

As for the monkey there is a wood

• Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 07:37 AM

MuseZack, on Mar 11 2004, 04:04 AM, said:

When you told a reporter that when not talking about politics, you and your father spent your time discussing "p***y," whose vaginas were you and your father referring to?  Laura's?  Barbara's?  Or other, as yet unspecificed vaginas?
" And if I may follow up, I’d like to ask if you can possibly imagine Laura Bush doing that. Thank you."
Lies: the real WMDs

"When minds have fed on falsehood for generations, these falsehoods constitute a prison from which it is difficult and painful to break out."
-Renato Constantino

#37 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 09:33 AM

Wow, Zack. You really hate George W. Bush, don't you? I don't think there's anyone on this board that's expressed more hatred for the man.

#38 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 09:48 AM

Drew, on Mar 11 2004, 02:31 PM, said:

Wow, Zack. You really hate George W. Bush, don't you? I don't think there's anyone on this board that's expressed more hatred for the man.
Um, no.  I actually have praised the guy on more than one occasion.

I thought his manned Mars program was a good idea, I praised him for going to a mosque and speaking out against anti-Muslim bigotry after 9/11, and in general I thought he did a pretty good job in the war against terror from about 9/13/01 (when he gave his first good post 9/11 speech) right through the removal of the Taliban and right up until the botched campaign to capture Bin Laden at Tora Bora.  

In general I think he's a well-meaning human being who by and large hasn't done a good job as president.

But I find your tut-tutting over Teresa Heinz Kerry's association with profanity on a campaign button to be a bit hypocritical given the examples of the president's own shall we say colorful history of using off-color language.  Maybe you've expressed concern for this in the past.  If so, I apologize.  If not, why the double standard?
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#39 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:00 AM

Well, I didn't read the whole Lileks report, and I won't.  I'm not that interested in the mudslinging and ugliness of this campaign. Nor am I concerned one way or another about either Bush or Kerry.   But the analogy you draw, Zack, is ludicrous at best.  

When Lilek's asks if Mrs. Kerry thinks Bush is Evil or an @ss... both terms are actually relevant to the actions of Mrs. Kerry.  Your choosing to pretend that the term "@ss" here refers somehow can be taken literally is absurd (and that has to be the interpretation, because your remaining comments are focussed on literal interpretations of Bush remarks.  Quite frankly, I think the entire post is beneath you.  But that's just my opinion.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#40 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:09 AM

It's one thing to swear for emphasis while interacting with a few people, and another to make a huge, as-public-as-possible spectacle out of swearing and name-calling, treating them like legitimate campaign/debate points, bringing your public discourse and presentation down to that level just so you can gleefully show off how clever you think you are with words. Politics isn't supposed to be about who can "score" the most zippy one-liners and stings, and people who think it should be are a shame to the whole of politics.

Edited by Delvo, 11 March 2004 - 10:13 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election, 2004, Theressa Kerry, John Kerry, Democrats

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users